Thread: Lanthanum Chloride Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Lanthanum Chloride Recommendations

My algae scrubber is having trouble competing with my display tank probably due to the higher lighting in the DT. As such I'm going to give lanthanum chloride a try to see if I can knock the PO4 down a bit and have just ordered some.

Dosing amounts, methods and any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tank is 75 Gal display and about another 75 in sump and other areas.

Thanks!

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, maybe 2 drops a week near the skimmer.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there an local source for the L.C.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to get mine (Sea Klear) from Amazon Prime.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Arctic Spa's sells it locally. A friend of mine owns the place.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    Scott, maybe 2 drops a week near the skimmer.
    Wow, that stuff must be outrageously powerful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I have a question here because I have never used LC before...I did some quick research and see that the LC bonds with, and then precipitates the Phosphate out of the tank water. How is the precipitated Phosphate removed? Via skimming (Murf, you said something about dosing near the skimmer) or does it become insoluble and just settle on the bottom of the tank as additional detritus?

And WOW two drops a week to start with…real powerful that would be easy to over dose.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have poured it into the overflow where it collected in the filter sock - I wait until it's getting close to being clogged. I've also poured it right into the skimmer. It makes it foam up a little extra and is skimmed out.
    Don't look here for a comment.

9. Likes Murfman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of algea is growing in your display?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkboy99999 View Post
    What kind of algea is growing in your display?
    Something I've yet to find a predator for despite trying just about everything. It looks like a form of Bryopsis. You can see some photos of everything in the following thread. I only have a couple small patches that keep coming back but it's smothering some corals so I'm looking to test something else.
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...light=scrubber

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious what effect this will have on my algae scrubber. Obviously I can make some guesses that if I strip the phosphates from my system it will have a negative effect on the scrubber algae growth but I'd like to hear from people who have used LC with a scrubber and what happened.

13. Likes maxthedog2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    But if u strip phosphates out u no longer will need a algea scrubber

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkboy99999 View Post
    But if u strip phosphates out u no longer will need a algea scrubber
    From my reading of LC it won't completely strip out all phosphates which is a good thing as the zooxanthellae requires some in order to survive. So LC will take it down to a certain point and then stop being effective. However, there are also Nitrates to deal with and while I can hope my live rock, live sand and biopellet reactor have enough bacteria to deal with that I don't trust that as yet.

So the LC is a test to see if I have an overabundance of phosphate in my system. Hopefully I can knock it down and convert the system into more of a bacterial system instead of an algae system and then not need the algae scrubber as I'm generating a ton of algae with it but it's not completely solving the problem. Yes it's great at exporting nutrients but it's also not keeping the algae out of the display tank.

So, anyone use LC while they had an algae scrubber set up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Update on my experience thus far -- Day 9 of LC dosing.

Here's what I bought:
    SeaKlear Phosphate Remover for Spas

My tank setup is essentally:
    75g display
    40g-ish sump
    20g fuge/scrubber

Water from the DT goes down into the sump, is filtered into one of four 200 micron filter socks that are changed when needed, goes through a section with a large bag of SeaChem Matrix and a media reactor with biopellets. From there half is pumped back into the display and half is pumped into a separate loop across a large algae scrubber which sits in a shallow 20g sump of its own. In this fuge/sump there's also chaeto and a large skimmer constantly draws water from this fuge/sump, cycles it and replaces it back. Ya, I know -- interesting system but it allows for lots of testing out theories and I have a large fish room for this setup.

I started out conservatively so as to not do anything negative to the tank by shutting off the return for an hour and adding a couple drops to the fuge. So you essentially have a 20g fuge tank with the lanthum chloride in it circulating through a large skimmer for an hour.

So the path the LC takes is first to be dumped into a 20g tank where it's run through a skimmer driven by a Mag3 at 350gph for an hour. In theory that means all of the LC goes through the skimmer around 17 times before we release it from this fuge/sump. It is then mixed with the water from the DT overflow into the sump where it goes though the filter socks before half of it makes its way to the DT and the other half circles back around to the algae scrubber, skimmer and filter socks again.

Result? No change in the system positive or negative.

Over the last week I have been repeating this procedure and slowly increasing the dosage. I'm now at 4ml a day (dosed as 2 x 2ml) and no, I didn't just write the wrong amount. There has been zero change in the system that I can see either positive or negative. The first week the algae on the glass actually increased quite a bit.

However, as I look at the tank today everything seems to be doing great and I've noticed that last few days algae is struggling to grow on the glass and appears to be more of a white coating and I'm wondering if this is something other than algae (precipitate maybe). I'm leaving it on the glass to see what it becomes for now.

One of four things is possible:

1. I bought water (or a very diluted form of LC). I contacted the company to see if it's diluted or has anything else in it and they have not responded.

2. I don't have any phosphates. Before starting the test I tested for both Nitrate and Phosphate and came up with zero on each. Admittedly the Nitrate test kit is a cheap one but the Phosphate tester is a "Hana Instraments Phosphate Low Range Checker" so it should be showing something! Besides, there's no way my scrubber could be growing that much algae and also have algae in the DT and yet have zero phosphates. It's always possible the algae is sucking up the nutrients but come on, zero?

3. The skimmer is removing all the LC before it gets released into the full body of water. Possible I guess but I find that hard to believe as while the skimmer seems to be doing slightly better the LC does not make the skimmer go crazy (or even obviously change) as other people have reported.

4. I have a massive Phosphate issue due to old tank syndrome or something similar and while I'm removing it at a rapid pace the sandbed and rocks are relasing it just as quickly.

As I have seen zero side-effects I am increasing the dose of LC daily and watching the tank closely. I figure one of two things is going to happen. Either this is going to work slowly but surely or I'm going to load up my tank with so much LC that's not getting used that it will crash overnight. When I dose the LC into the sump/fuge at the 2ml amount it clouds up slightly for about 30 minutes. I have yet to see any cloudiness in the DT. As such I'm thinking much of the LC is precipitating out into the skimmer or getting stuck in the filter socks and is being used up. With this in mind -- I'm continuing to dose in the hopes that I see some results here soon.
    Last edited by scrumpto; 09-09-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scrumpto View Post
    However, as I look at the tank today everything seems to be doing great and I've noticed that last few days algae is struggling to grow on the glass and appears to be more of a white coating and I'm wondering if this is something other than algae (precipitate maybe). I'm leaving it on the glass to see what it becomes for now.
    Just checked -- it's algae and not even just a film -- it has tufts of hair. Grrr. Moving up to 5ml today.