Thread: Formerly Nightstar's 80G cube

Post Thanks / Like

Formerly Nightstar's 80G cube

So, I have no idea what I'm really doing, but here's what it looks like now. The camera can't take a shot with the blues on, so I turned them off for the four side shots.

I've been going a bit slowly since I'm new to the hobby, but got the lights done this weekend.

I'd plumbed the sump but after an hour found some very slow leaks on my connections, so fixed those up and will give it another shot after work. Once the sump is hooked up the heater and wavemakers will come out.

Side 1:

Side 2:

Side 3:

Side 4:

I haven't hooked up the skimmer yet, need to get a proper sized pump for it and then that should be ready to go.

If anyone feels up to helping me ID some hitchhikers, I've posted in the Reef Central forum a few days back and haven't heard anything yet. Just wanted to verify whether or not some of the new critters should stay or go, but didn't see a specific place for that.

Happy to take any advice on rock placements too.

Adding the first rocks.

Lights while figuring out the hanging placement.

I still have those metal pieces under the lights for the next few days just in case the screws somehow pull out of the drywall, but that's more about my paranoia than risk I think.

Hitchhikers:

If anyone knows for sure what these are please share! (I have others as well, but figure I should start somewhere)

This same anemone after the water was added and lights turned on.

A basically colorless anemone that also hitched on the local live rock.

Thanks for looking!

2. Likes Murfman , fisher, hooked , ddwmedic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Added the first purchased critter to the tank. The kids spent about 30 min. watching him/her tear apart a bristleworm. They thought it was both fascinating and scary. My 2 year old kept asking to see the "water spider, water spider!"

4. Likes Murfman , ddwmedic liked this post
    Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good! Make sure you have your rockwork far enough from the sides so you can get your mag scraper in to keep your glass clean.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

6. Thanks ddwmedic thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you have your rockwork far enough from the sides so you can get your mag scraper in to keep your glass clean.
    Will do! Is there any harm in leaving one of the four sides covered in algae? The pods seems to really like it, and I figure it will give me a decent indication if there's enough algae to keep everything fed. After the first 2 weeks of the tank up and running, I haven't had to clean the glass more than once a week. There seem to be one or two spots where brown algae builds up and that's about it.

I had some bryopsis that took off for about a week, but I just kept trimming it back, and it seems to have completely disappeared now.

I think I have some red palm algae growing on the rocks, in two months it's grown to be about an inch tall now, but it's starting to branch out and look nice.

Also, is this a cup coral? It's moved about 4 times now, but it's getting a bit more coloration to it each time. Used to be completely white. Hitchhiked on the live rock I picked up.

It is eating well when I feed the tank though.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a mini nem or Majano, hard to tell. Not a cup coral though.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Baby cabbage leather?
    Don't look here for a comment.