Thread: JBJ 28g Nano Cube HillBilly Ohio build

Post Thanks / Like

JBJ 28g Nano Cube HillBilly Ohio build

I picked up a 28g Nano Cube with glass in near perfect condition. The lid is missing the little feeding door and has pc bulbs in it. I didn't realize that Nano cubes use 2 return pumps instead of one. It came with a nice black oak stand with enough room for supplies or a 10g sump.

I talked with Hooked yesterday and am still undecided as to if I should keep it an all in one or make and ghost overflow and drill it for a sump.

I only plan to have a sunburst, 2 clowns and some zoas. I have my own leds but am considering either a hydra 26HD or the AI Prime. The lid is coming off and a clear mesh lid will be fabricated from 3/8" acrylic. A friend of mine has a decent size CNC machine so the options are pretty open with fabrication.

I'm looking for thoughts on keeping it AIO vs drilling from an equipment standpoint. HOB skimmer vs one in the sump. I have a bunch of marine pure media I would love to use but can only use it if I go with a sump. Also I keep the house at 68% with central air so I am not overly concerned with temp swing and needing a chiller but am not opposed to getting one for stability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2. Likes hooked liked this post
    Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok.......I have a few things for you.

First of all, just because you move to Ohio doesn't mean you can forget club protocol. Where the hell are your pictures? You know better than that.

As far as your AIO vs drilling, I would go with the all in one. No hidden secret that you will only own this for 6 months. Might as well keep it as simplistic and clean as possible. In regards to your live stock choice, I wouldnt really worry about stability to much. As you know, zoas and nems perfer dirty water anyways and clowns are damsels so they will be fine with higher nutrients and then large volume water changes which may help your nem to split naturally. I would ensure light entisity and ATO is in your favor and run with what you got bro.

4. Likes Levi, Murfman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ideas for a good skimmer? The tunze doc 9002 skimmer will not fit, I was thinking about an aquamaxx hob 1

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the E- Shops nano. I really like mine. Should fit into a back compartment and it's allegedly easy to convert the two pump return to a single.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the dual pump return and I think I'm going to build a HOB fuge and use a hob skimmer. I am trying to figure out how to use some marine pure in the setup

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't skim my biocube bro .. bought the InTank brand media baskets, run chemipure elite and phosban and cheato... that's it, 5 gallon water change every Saturday

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

9. Likes static reef, Levi, Joe, Murfman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Prime or hydra?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Prime over the nano I got from Charles. Mushrooms and zoas are plenty happy under it. Has more than enough power for the 24 gallon.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    If money is no object, I'd do the hydra 26, the prime is cool, but on a larger tank I don't think I'd like the spread so much.

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!