Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 76

Thread: New - OLD Tank

  1. #21
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Peyton, Colorado
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    The tds off your ro is quite high, you may want to add a di stage. Is it a 100 gallon per day unit? Food is generally going to be your biggest input of phosphate into your tank. I can tell you that flake and pellet foods are absolutely loaded with phosphorus. Maybe cut down your feeding of dry foods and stick with frozen foods. Soaking food first in ro and then taking food out and not adding the ro can help remove some phosphorus from it. I doubt your rock is leaching it, but it's possible. A reactor with gfo is the best way to reduce phos.

    I would have someone else test your water for phosphorus as well. The test kit you are using isn't really the best for anything besides nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. I recommend salifert or Hanna checker for phosphorus, salifert or Hanna checker for alk, and salient for magnesium and calcium. Red Sea also has some decent kits as well.

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    I agree on the DI stage, have it saved on my cart at marine depot.
    It is maybe a 30gpd unit nothing massive but at the water pressure I have off well it runs maybe 10 gallons a day.
    A GFO reactor is also on my list - wondering if my old version ASM Protein Skimmer is not functioning well as it seems to get very little skim over a week. Maybe 1/4 cup but at the same time my tank is very light stock right now. 7 Coral LPS,GSP (growing crazy), etc... Pink tail Trigger, Spot Foxface and Blender Goby.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMEYER0503 View Post
    I agree on the DI stage, have it saved on my cart at marine depot.
    It is maybe a 30gpd unit nothing massive but at the water pressure I have off well it runs maybe 10 gallons a day.
    A GFO reactor is also on my list - wondering if my old version ASM Protein Skimmer is not functioning well as it seems to get very little skim over a week. Maybe 1/4 cup but at the same time my tank is very light stock right now. 7 Coral LPS,GSP (growing crazy), etc... Pink tail Trigger, Spot Foxface and Blender Goby.
    Tds of ro prob isn't your phos problem in the first place though, it's food. Food is where it all comes from really.
    As far as the ro unit first thing I would get a booster pump for sure if your on a well. Boost up to 75-85 psi max; this will help tremendously.
    Second get a good 75gpd 4 stage ro unit with a filmtec membrane. It should have a 98% rejection rate or better. This will bring down your tds to around 1 or 2.
    Third, scrap the di unit.... for now. I'm on a well and I can tell you it will only last about 100 gal or so and through it. There is alot of co2 in well water and it will use it up super fast. You can make an aerated vat to driveoff the co2 after your ro and then run it back through the di to avoid this. I'm going to do this, just haven't yet.

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  3. Thanks JMEYER0503 thanked you for this post
  4. #23
    Public Relations Liasion

    static reef's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    3,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would chime in just to give a second opinion and try and help you troubleshoot this, but it would be a copy/paste of everything kirby has told you.

  5. #24
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Peyton, Colorado
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    So then the big question is where is the best place to find a GFO reactor w/ media? I have a spare pump 275gph just no adjustment nozzle.

    I did put in two emergency Phosphate packets last night and am running it through today. Checked levels this morning and I still have a 5.0 reading. I'm wondering if it is not a bad test though I did start to see some algae buildup on the glass. Will check today as I have the lights on full today not just the blues.

  6. #25
    Registered User penrosereefer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Penrose
    Posts
    542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMEYER0503 View Post
    So then the big question is where is the best place to find a GFO reactor w/ media? I have a spare pump 275gph just no adjustment nozzle.

    I did put in two emergency Phosphate packets last night and am running it through today. Checked levels this morning and I still have a 5.0 reading. I'm wondering if it is not a bad test though I did start to see some algae buildup on the glass. Will check today as I have the lights on full today not just the blues.
    I have a BRS Dual Carbon and GFO reactor, no pump---20 bucks in canon city

  7. #26
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMEYER0503 View Post
    So then the big question is where is the best place to find a GFO reactor w/ media? I have a spare pump 275gph just no adjustment nozzle.

    I did put in two emergency Phosphate packets last night and am running it through today. Checked levels this morning and I still have a 5.0 reading. I'm wondering if it is not a bad test though I did start to see some algae buildup on the glass. Will check today as I have the lights on full today not just the blues.
    I would have someone test your phos just to make sure it's accurate for sure. Are you going to the meeting g sat? Bulk reef is a good option or Penrose just posted his for a good deal.

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  8. #27
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Peyton, Colorado
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will be there Saturday, I can bring a water sample if need be. I saw that just a little far for me right now. Will he be there this Saturday?
    I came home and saw something new today tiny pink specks all over some new rock I added about 2 weeks ago. Im worried its the beginning of a Cyano outbreak. It is pink, very tiny and speckled almost as if someone used a paint brush and shook it out over the rock.


    Pink on Rock.jpg

  9. #28
    Registered User penrosereefer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Penrose
    Posts
    542
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wont be there, I work saturdays again.

    Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

  10. #29
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMEYER0503 View Post
    I will be there Saturday, I can bring a water sample if need be. I saw that just a little far for me right now. Will he be there this Saturday?
    I came home and saw something new today tiny pink specks all over some new rock I added about 2 weeks ago. Im worried its the beginning of a Cyano outbreak. It is pink, very tiny and speckled almost as if someone used a paint brush and shook it out over the rock.


    Pink on Rock.jpg
    Your rock looks very new. Could be some cyano but I wouldn't worry about it. Bring some water with you sat and I will test it for you. Bring atleast 50ml

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  11. #30
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Peyton, Colorado
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe we can arrange a time when you are in the springs.

  12. #31
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Peyton, Colorado
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    Your rock looks very new. Could be some cyano but I wouldn't worry about it. Bring some water with you sat and I will test it for you. Bring atleast 50ml

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    The rock is definitely new, its the BRS made reef rock. I actually like it so far, would design the setup first and maybe drill some Frag holes in the future. I do notice many copepods residing in this rock as nothing but them can get in.

    I will bring as much as I can to test. By then the Phosphate absorption material should be in for around 4 days so hopefully a noticeable drop will occur.

  13. #32
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMEYER0503 View Post
    The rock is definitely new, its the BRS made reef rock. I actually like it so far, would design the setup first and maybe drill some Frag holes in the future. I do notice many copepods residing in this rock as nothing but them can get in.

    I will bring as much as I can to test. By then the Phosphate absorption material should be in for around 4 days so hopefully a noticeable drop will occur.
    What pads are you using? Have you tested nitrate at all?

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  14. #33
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Peyton, Colorado
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    What pads are you using? Have you tested nitrate at all?

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    They are PhosGuard Pads, and the last nitrate check yesterday they were between 15-20ppm

  15. #34
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Peyton, Colorado
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMEYER0503 View Post
    They are PhosGuard Pads, and the last nitrate check yesterday they were between 15-20ppm
    Just finished a 20% water change on the tank waited and retested the phosphates around 2.5ppm
    I also tested the Saltwater mix I was making and discovered that it was registering as 2.5 ppm phosphate? What gives?
    The saltwater is in a 33 gallon rubber maid trashcan bought new and flushed out. Can saltwater cause leaching of other chemicals?
    I then tested the RO water and it registered 0.0 on the test kit. So it is either the saltwater mix or the trash can.

  16. #35
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMEYER0503 View Post
    Just finished a 20% water change on the tank waited and retested the phosphates around 2.5ppm
    I also tested the Saltwater mix I was making and discovered that it was registering as 2.5 ppm phosphate? What gives?
    The saltwater is in a 33 gallon rubber maid trashcan bought new and flushed out. Can saltwater cause leaching of other chemicals?
    I then tested the RO water and it registered 0.0 on the test kit. So it is either the saltwater mix or the trash can.
    Well sounds like the pads are helping. Test the ro out of the container before adding salt and then test after salt. It could be in the salt if it's not from your ro container. You already ruled out the ro water out of the unit it sounds like so it shouldn't be from there.

    How old is your tank by the way? Everything looks pretty fresh. If that's the case it's going to take time for your nutrients to stabilize.

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  17. #36
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Peyton, Colorado
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    Well sounds like the pads are helping. Test the ro out of the container before adding salt and then test after salt. It could be in the salt if it's not from your ro container. You already ruled out the ro water out of the unit it sounds like so it shouldn't be from there.

    How old is your tank by the way? Everything looks pretty fresh. If that's the case it's going to take time for your nutrients to stabilize.

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Both the RO and Saltwater are from the same type of trash can. The RO tested 0.0 and the Saltwater tested 2.5 so either the saltwater is causing a leech of the trashcan or its the salt. I will try and find my large glass jug and mix the salt to see if that is the cause. The tank was from a gentleman who had little time for it. I took it over with about 20 lbs of rock in it and I added about 20-30 lbs. Some was already cooked and ready while the white ones in the picture were added about 2 weeks ago. I have been trying to get everything stabilized without having a full kit until a few days ago. Once I get the phosphates down, fingers crossed, everything should be in balance.

  18. #37
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMEYER0503 View Post
    Both the RO and Saltwater are from the same type of trash can. The RO tested 0.0 and the Saltwater tested 2.5 so either the saltwater is causing a leech of the trashcan or its the salt. I will try and find my large glass jug and mix the salt to see if that is the cause. The tank was from a gentleman who had little time for it. I took it over with about 20 lbs of rock in it and I added about 20-30 lbs. Some was already cooked and ready while the white ones in the picture were added about 2 weeks ago. I have been trying to get everything stabilized without having a full kit until a few days ago. Once I get the phosphates down, fingers crossed, everything should be in balance.
    Is the sand old with the original tank or is it new? Yea it will take some time to get a good balance. I would find out if the phos is from the salt or not. If it's not from the salt I would do a 50% change to get the nitrates down as well. I would try to keep your nitrates around 5 or so. Contrary to popular belief you do not want nitrates or phos at truly 0. Look up the Redfield ratio it's, really insightful. It's really bad for corals to have no nutrients. I would like to explain this more in depth at the meeting on Sat to everyone. As a community we are getting too good at driving nutrients to 0 and it's causing other problems.

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  19. #38
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Peyton, Colorado
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    Is the sand old with the original tank or is it new? Yea it will take some time to get a good balance. I would find out if the phos is from the salt or not. If it's not from the salt I would do a 50% change to get the nitrates down as well. I would try to keep your nitrates around 5 or so. Contrary to popular belief you do not want nitrates or phos at truly 0. Look up the Redfield ratio it's, really insightful. It's really bad for corals to have no nutrients. I would like to explain this more in depth at the meeting on Sat to everyone. As a community we are getting too good at driving nutrients to 0 and it's causing other problems.

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    There is original sand with the tank. When I first picked it up the first change I vacuumed the sand every few days for a 2 weeks to remove the buildup. It was terrible the water was charcoal grey. Due to the I bought some live sand from Petco and added it to restart some bacteria just in case it was lost. The old live rock was not very porous and has this black look to it, nothing like the live rock I added 4 weeks ago. That rock has green, red, brown, dark brown colors to it. The old stuff looks like a black sponge. I removed 1/2 and let it sit outside to see what color it was originally. Turns out it is light grey/white.

    After last nights water change the pink spots have grown in size on the new rock, however some pink showed up in the sand/rubble. I think its cyano starting just going slow due to me handling the nutrients in the tank.

  20. #39
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Peyton, Colorado
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMEYER0503 View Post
    There is original sand with the tank. When I first picked it up the first change I vacuumed the sand every few days for a 2 weeks to remove the buildup. It was terrible the water was charcoal grey. Due to the I bought some live sand from Petco and added it to restart some bacteria just in case it was lost. The old live rock was not very porous and has this black look to it, nothing like the live rock I added 4 weeks ago. That rock has green, red, brown, dark brown colors to it. The old stuff looks like a black sponge. I removed 1/2 and let it sit outside to see what color it was originally. Turns out it is light grey/white.

    After last nights water change the pink spots have grown in size on the new rock, however some pink showed up in the sand/rubble. I think its cyano starting just going slow due to me handling the nutrients in the tank.
    Figured out where the phosphates are coming from, drum roll, the trash cans. They are seeping phosphates into the water. When the salt is added it changes the chemistry and allows phosphates to seep.

    What is the cheapest item to store RO and Saltwater for water changes? Due to circumstances the cheaper the better.

  21. #40
    Senior Member maxthedog2000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Pueblo, Durango, and Mancos Colorado
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMEYER0503 View Post
    Figured out where the phosphates are coming from, drum roll, the trash cans. They are seeping phosphates into the water. When the salt is added it changes the chemistry and allows phosphates to seep.

    What is the cheapest item to store RO and Saltwater for water changes? Due to circumstances the cheaper the better.
    Are you just using the trash cans from Wal-Mart or what cuz that's what I use to

    Carter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •