Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New - OLD Tank

Post Thanks / Like

New - OLD Tank

Being new to Saltwater I have tons of questions about my tank:

NOTE: 90 Gallon tank, 20 Gallon Sump w/ BioBalls and some gravel. Venturi style Skimmer Straight tube w/ (250 gph pump), Chetto and a return pump. There is only two rocks in the sump area as of the moment due to the skimmer sitting in the middle. Removed old rock in tank and added new live/dead rock (current estimate 50lbs in tank). 2 inch sand bed 1/2 coral rubble 1/2 sand. Three fish Spotted Fox Face, Pink Tail Trigger, either blender Goby or Sand Sifting (Still learning on types). Have a sea hare for green hair algae control. Lights LED WHite/Blue, T5 Reflector White and Blue (Seems like I should have more color wavelengths).

1) My protein skimmer seems to only give large bubble compares to everyone else I have seen, the pump is a Petco 250 gph with a standard wheel. Should I upgrade to a needle wheel to decrease the bubble size and have a better chance of protein contact? The skimmer is a basic venturi style skimmer, however the bubble enter 1/2 way up the system which seems odd as the more contact time the better.
    2) What size clean-up crew should I get for a primarily coral tank?
    3) Should I re-home my Pink Tail Trigger to avoid it eating the Inverts in the tank? While not aggressive to the other fish I have noticed the clean-up crew disappearing.
    4) What else should the system have before introducing coral?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you regime the trigger please let me know I have a wonderful time for it.
    Master of tile!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like you have done a lot of research already. How long have you had the tank, I am assuming it's been cycled for some time now seeing the fish and inverts you have. I can't give any advice on the skimmer, but if the skimmate is dark, you should be fine. The trigger doesn't sound very reef safe from what I've read, but I'm sure someone that owed one will chime in. You can never really have too much cuc, especially if your trigger is snacking on them. As for coral, I would start slow. There is a meeting in 2 weeks, there will be tons of frags to start your reef system. I am sure your parameters are also in check, right?

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a pink tail and although I never saw it snacking on snails or hermits, I won't say it didn't. It was a great addition and everyone loved seeing it when they came over. Hermits will take out snails, just for the shells. I try and stick with just snails for clean up.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

5. Likes Coral Xpressions liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Triggers can be a great show fish in a reef tank as long as they are the right species under the right circumstances. Like Murph said, even hermits will kill snails and lots of other fish like to eat hermits. For those reasons I only keep snails and a wide variety. If fed well and walking snacks (hermits) are not available, triggers are fun to watch. Not sure if that made sense, I'm still having morning coffee

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    You should post water parameters so we know what your water quality is. What kind of coral are you wanting to add? I would recommend taking out the bio balls before they become a problem in the future though. Don't take them all out at once. Take them out slowly over a couple weeks to avoid causing a cycle in your tank. One of the best things you can do is invest in a good quality skimmer. Besides an RO system this is probably one of the best investments you can make.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMEYER0503 View Post
    Being new to Saltwater I have tons of questions about my tank:

NOTE: 90 Gallon tank, 20 Gallon Sump w/ BioBalls and some gravel. Venturi style Skimmer Straight tube w/ (250 gph pump), Chetto and a return pump. There is only two rocks in the sump area as of the moment due to the skimmer sitting in the middle. Removed old rock in tank and added new live/dead rock (current estimate 50lbs in tank). 2 inch sand bed 1/2 coral rubble 1/2 sand. Three fish Spotted Fox Face, Pink Tail Trigger, either blender Goby or Sand Sifting (Still learning on types). Have a sea hare for green hair algae control. Lights LED WHite/Blue, T5 Reflector White and Blue (Seems like I should have more color wavelengths).

1) My protein skimmer seems to only give large bubble compares to everyone else I have seen, the pump is a Petco 250 gph with a standard wheel. Should I upgrade to a needle wheel to decrease the bubble size and have a better chance of protein contact? The skimmer is a basic venturi style skimmer, however the bubble enter 1/2 way up the system which seems odd as the more contact time the better.
    2) What size clean-up crew should I get for a primarily coral tank?
    3) Should I re-home my Pink Tail Trigger to avoid it eating the Inverts in the tank? While not aggressive to the other fish I have noticed the clean-up crew disappearing.
    4) What else should the system have before introducing coral?
    Sounds like I will be sticking to snails - What is the best place to get around 100ish? Which ones are the best to get? The algae I have are Green, Red, and Brown.

Got the skimmer running better and the skim seems to be staying dark just very little in a week. Possibly because of just three fish?
    Water parameters -
    Salinity 1.025 +- .001
    TDS - Unknown need to get TDS tool
    Ammonia - 0.0 ppm (Minor spikes as I add rock - Likely get Dr. Tims for a good bacteria addition)
    Nitrite - 0.0 ppm
    Nitrate - 20 ppm +- 5 ppm
    Calcium - Unk - In saving for the kit
    Mag - Unk - In saving for the kit
    Alk - Unk - In saving for the kit
    Temp - 79 Degrees
    Just added a giant pile of Cheto w/ Lots of Micro-Organisms (estimated weight 1 lbs)

Just added Green Star Polyps (I know they can be nuisance, was wanting them to check if system is healthy to support something minor) They popped right out the next day looking healthy so far. Will be monitoring for the next two weeks.

My wife wants color for the coral and with the system being young since I have been trying to get it to standards, the easier the coral the better. The only fish I will likely add will to be for color and small. Clowns, Dottyback, Basslet etc... will just need to see if these are compatible. The one I must have Kids/Wife is the clowns so everything will be based on them.

I will say the trigger is fun to watch, when frightened it hides lays flat and does not move. It scared me the first time as I thought it was dead picked it up and it jumped just as it reached the top of the water.

With the cheto what things can I add in the sump? There is a brown buildup that I hate cleaning all the time. Like 1-2 times a week.

I have been cycling out the bioballs I am down to 1/2 the original amount, since then I have noticed the skimmer seems to be running better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get them from all over. I've got snails from coralxpressions, myReeftoYours, and petco. I have the three standard varieties of snails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like I will be sticking to snails - What is the best place to get around 100ish? Which ones are the best to get? The algae I have are Green, Red, and Brown.

Got the skimmer running better and the skim seems to be staying dark just very little in a week. Possibly because of just three fish?
    Water parameters -
    Salinity 1.025 +- .001
    TDS - Unknown need to get TDS tool
    Ammonia - 0.0 ppm (Minor spikes as I add rock - Likely get Dr. Tims for a good bacteria addition)
    Nitrite - 0.0 ppm
    Nitrate - 20 ppm +- 5 ppm
    Calcium - Unk - In saving for the kit
    Mag - Unk - In saving for the kit
    Alk - Unk - In saving for the kit
    Temp - 79 Degrees
    Just added a giant pile of Cheto w/ Lots of Micro-Organisms (estimated weight 1 lbs)

Just added Green Star Polyps (I know they can be nuisance, was wanting them to check if system is healthy to support something minor) They popped right out the next day looking healthy so far. Will be monitoring for the next two weeks.

My wife wants color for the coral and with the system being young since I have been trying to get it to standards, the easier the coral the better. The only fish I will likely add will to be for color and small. Clowns, Dottyback, Basslet etc... will just need to see if these are compatible. The one I must have Kids/Wife is the clowns so everything will be based on them.

I will say the trigger is fun to watch, when frightened it hides lays flat and does not move. It scared me the first time as I thought it was dead picked it up and it jumped just as it reached the top of the water.

With the cheto what things can I add in the sump? There is a brown buildup that I hate cleaning all the time. Like 1-2 times a week.

I have been cycling out the bioballs I am down to 1/2 the original amount, since then I have noticed the skimmer seems to be running better.

Just checked the Calcium with the new test - 560 ppm - So it is a little high - Likely due to the Salt I'm using and have nothing using the levels.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    If you havent added any calcium to the tank, I would question your test kit. 560 right out of the bag would be the highest I have ever heard of by far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by static reef View Post
    If you havent added any calcium to the tank, I would question your test kit. 560 right out of the bag would be the highest I have ever heard of by far.
    I just bought the test kit today. The Salt I use is from Oceanic which tends to run high from what I have read. One thing I was thinking is if my Mag or Alk was off could this cause a higher than normal reading?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by static reef View Post
    Actually my last box of reef crystals was 550. I wouldn't have believed it either if I didn't have this experience. Those big water changes I had to do because of NO3 and phos really jumped my calcium up!

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    I run Oceanic and it appears to be at 560 Calcium with 9 Alk and 1350 Magnesium. Is calcium being to high a bad thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    I run Oceanic and it appears to be at 560 Calcium with 9 Alk and 1350 Magnesium. Is calcium being to high a bad thing?
    My TDS meter just arrived and my tap water is 83-88 while my RO water is 6-7. It would seem I need a DI to make sure the metals are removed but is 6-7ppm a good number? As a side note this is coming from a well at a depth of 130'.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not a bad tds from your tap at all. Still need that DI though. You don't want those tds to creep up in your tank.

Last edited by Just_Tim; 07-07-2016 at 09:16 PM.

17. Likes Murfman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright so the latest results
    Calcium 540-560 ppm
    KH 180-190 ppm
    PH 8.4
    Phosphates 5.0 ppm (Think this must be off because would I have a giant bloom?) Everything looks fine as well, coral extending etc...

Also noticed one thing I was not expecting, Emerald Crabs are LPS jerks. Moved one of my LPS due to really strong current, as soon as it was in the new spot an emerald crab ran over and tore into it. I watch to make sure it wasn't algae and it was pulling the tentacles. Its now in the sump where maybe it can do some good cleaning the rock and Chaeto. Now worried as I have one more crab in the DT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright so the latest results
    Calcium 540-560 ppm
    KH 180-190 ppm
    PH 8.4
    Phosphates 5.0 ppm (Think this must be off because would I have a giant bloom?) Everything looks fine as well, coral extending etc...

Also noticed one thing I was not expecting, Emerald Crabs are LPS jerks. Moved one of my LPS due to really strong current, as soon as it was in the new spot an emerald crab ran over and tore into it. I watch to make sure it wasn't algae and it was pulling the tentacles. Its now in the sump where maybe it can do some good cleaning the rock and Chaeto. Now worried as I have one more crab in the DT.
    Any recommendation to lower the 5.0 reading? Did a 10% water change planning on another one today - Friday Headed out to buy some Phosban to try and lower it. I have Chaeto in the Refugium, adjusted the skimmer to run wetter. Any other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Any recommendation to lower the 5.0 reading? Did a 10% water change planning on another one today - Friday Headed out to buy some Phosban to try and lower it. I have Chaeto in the Refugium, adjusted the skimmer to run wetter. Any other suggestions?
    Use gfo (phosban) preferably in a reactor, it will drop it pretty fast. Water changes will never get you there. Watch your alk though because gfo causes acid formation and will reduce alk.

Couple questions though because you need to find the root cause. Having high nutrients doesn't always equate to algae problems I know from experience.

What test kit did you use?
    What do you feed/how often /how much?
    Do you use RO water?

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    Use gfo (phosban) preferably in a reactor, it will drop it pretty fast. Water changes will never get you there. Watch your alk though because gfo causes acid formation and will reduce alk.

Couple questions though because you need to find the root cause. Having high nutrients doesn't always equate to algae problems I know from experience.

What test kit did you use?
    What do you feed/how often /how much?
    Do you use RO water?

Test Kit: Nutrafin Master Test Kit, Contains 10 Test Parameters
    I was feeding every other day - minced shrimp and pellet - about an once of shrimp, less than an ounce pellet
    I use RO water Tap is 88ppm - After RO filter 7-8ppm

The Shrimp is from Safeway and was rinsed maybe not well enough. I added some dead rock about 1.5 weeks ago thinking maybe those seeped some Phosphates.
    I just added a Phosphate remover pouch to help reduce the levels
    Is there a light I should leave on 7400 or the Blue?
    I am starting to see some bloom happen

Post Thanks / Like
    Test Kit: Nutrafin Master Test Kit, Contains 10 Test Parameters
    I was feeding every other day - minced shrimp and pellet - about an once of shrimp, less than an ounce pellet
    I use RO water Tap is 88ppm - After RO filter 7-8ppm

The Shrimp is from Safeway and was rinsed maybe not well enough. I added some dead rock about 1.5 weeks ago thinking maybe those seeped some Phosphates.
    I just added a Phosphate remover pouch to help reduce the levels
    Is there a light I should leave on 7400 or the Blue?
    I am starting to see some bloom happen
    The tds off your ro is quite high, you may want to add a di stage. Is it a 100 gallon per day unit? Food is generally going to be your biggest input of phosphate into your tank. I can tell you that flake and pellet foods are absolutely loaded with phosphorus. Maybe cut down your feeding of dry foods and stick with frozen foods. Soaking food first in ro and then taking food out and not adding the ro can help remove some phosphorus from it. I doubt your rock is leaching it, but it's possible. A reactor with gfo is the best way to reduce phos.

I would have someone else test your water for phosphorus as well. The test kit you are using isn't really the best for anything besides nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. I recommend salifert or Hanna checker for phosphorus, salifert or Hanna checker for alk, and salifert for magnesium and calcium. Red Sea also has some decent kits as well.

Last edited by Kirblit; 07-12-2016 at 10:45 PM.
    Kirby