Thread: Side-by-Side 300DD's

Registered User ShakingHorizons's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Side-by-Side 300DD's

Having a new house built currently and it's time for me to start planning my dream build. I have come to SCMAS for suggestions, tips, and comments.

The alcove in the wall is 12' wide and 3' 3" deep. My goal/hope was that I could have 2 - 300DD tanks side by side, one full reef, the other a predator tank. I would run the same lighting on both so that they didn't look too different of each other, but unfortunately, I would have to run a piece of trim down the middle, to hide the plastic trim of the tank - unless someone else has an idea how to cover the tank trim without it being so obvious.

My other thought was that if I am going to spend the money to have a huge tank, then do it right and not try to piece it together. The thing is, is that I have never seen it done before. That being, have the front and back 12' long piece of glass that is split in the middle with another piece of glass (or acrylic) through the middle to divide the tanks.

Is this just a pipe dream, or does anyone see it possible? I got in to saltwater tanks 14 years ago because of the volitan lionfish, but have also had reef tanks just as beautiful - so I would like the best of both worlds!

The tank(s) would be placed in the alcove of the living room, with all filtration plumbed to the basement.

"An aquarium is a hole between sheets of glass that the aquarist fills with money."

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would be doable. The pressure on the middle piece wouldn't be too great. You might need heavy skimming from the predator tank detritus. It would be awesome. My tank is 112 inches long. Got it from glass cages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a cool idea. You can have anything built, it just costs money. I would probably do as a single divided tank as well. I think I would want the middle pane to be opaque though for two reasons; fish can't see each other, and maint would be much less intense because you wouldn't have to keep growth off of it. I would also consider having it designed so that the piece in between was removable somehow and not structual. If you ever decided you only wanted a reef you could take it out and you would have an instant 12ft tank. The center piece would need to be slotted so that the water could move through somewhat though.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Registered User ShakingHorizons's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Never thought of the algae growth on the middle piece. ......crap!
    "An aquarium is a hole between sheets of glass that the aquarist fills with money."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakingHorizons View Post
    Never thought of the algae growth on the middle piece. ......crap!
    Yea, I imagine that would become tedious after a while. If you made it opaque you could do a rock wall on each side to make them look like lagoons or something too. I just picture most of your reef fish would be terrified to go near that side of the tank if it was clear and your predators would be licking their chops the whole time lol.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple of things for your planning purposes. I have two 300dd side by side with another 900 gallons linked in my basement and I would love to help you do this right the first time.

I strongly recommend not linking a FOWLR and a reef together. No matter how great you go on filtration, the FOWLR will slowly trash your desired reef nutrient levels. However, your water changes and top off systems could be shared with some creative ingenuity.

Don't have the same lighting on your FOWLR as your reef. As stated your FOWLR doesnt need that much light and the nitrate and phosphate levels will be higher so your algae will flourish with a cuc that was eaten by your aggressive fish. Keep your FOWLR tank dim lighted and keep your maintenance time as low as possible.

Go big or go home. If you have the space and floor supports for a 600 gallon reef then do it bro. FOWLR tanks get boring after a while and the fish grow so fast that you have to find new homes for them (this is obviously a personal preference).

Maybe think of a hybrid tank. I have always wanted a massive tank with a reef on top and a shark or ray on the sandbed.

Food for thought.

7. Likes Levi liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I second this entire statement. If I was going to go with 600g of display, I would do 1 tank and have it taller so I could do a reef on the upper half on a shelf and then have a ray or shark on the bottom with as much open sand bed as I could get.

9. Likes RuRoo, maxthedog2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    I second this entire statement. If I was going to go with 600g of display, I would do 1 tank and have it taller so I could do a reef on the upper half on a shelf and then have a ray or shark on the bottom with as much open sand bed as I could get.
    Flouting Rock Island with a bambo and same rays.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

11. Likes maxthedog2000 liked this post