Thread: High TDS

Post Thanks / Like

High TDS

Ok, so I have a crappy RO unit. I can not get my post membrane tds below 40. I have tried new filters, checked pressure, let water run then checked. Does anyone else have high tds readings. I am in the process of researching new units, but don't want same problem with new unit. I am burning through di way too fast

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    What is your measurement going in? Just past the RO unit? Do you have a DI cartridge on it?
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by marcslove View Post
    Ok, so I have a crappy RO unit. I can not get my post membrane tds below 40. I have tried new filters, checked pressure, let water run then checked. Does anyone else have high tds readings. I am in the process of researching new units, but don't want same problem with new unit. I am burning through di way too fast
    Are you on a well? Well water chews through di. Like Murph asked what's your tds in? You may need a new membrane. Ro should remove 98% of whatever the in tds is.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kirblit; 06-06-2016 at 08:47 PM.
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Post Thanks / Like
    I know about hard water I live in Security and my pre RO water sucks! But with all those changes you have done when did you have your TDS meter calibrated?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses. Out of tap is 470. I am not sure about well water or not. Out of my di is 0, but I'm only getting 100g or so from a full cartridge. I bought bulk di off ebay, so a full refill cartridge runs about $3. The membrane is not that old. I bought it from Bush maybe 6 months ago. I am hoping everything is set up properly...there really isn't a lot to screw up, but it's def a possibility. Oh, my tds meter is a crappy one, but does seem to be reading just fine.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would check TDS coming out of the RO unit, before the DI. Chorline and Chloramine are what kill the RO membrane. You might end up having to change your carbon filters or adding a second. I'd go with 1 block and 1 Crushed carbon, after the sediment filter.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    I would check TDS coming out of the RO unit, before the DI. Chorline and Chloramine are what kill the RO membrane. You might end up having to change your carbon filters or adding a second. I'd go with 1 block and 1 Crushed carbon, after the sediment filter.
    X2

If you are on city water are there chloramines in your tap water or just chlorine in the springs? You can call your water service and ask them. It makes a difference in the kind of carbon filters you should be using. Like Paul said chlorine will destroy a ro membrane if it's making it through your carbon.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Post Thanks / Like
    something like this kit would work http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-5-...grade-kit.html

Post Thanks / Like
    tds is 40 out of membrane. Not sure about Cherokee water, I'll have to look into it.
    Just changed both filters, Prob gonna get a new unit soon

Post Thanks / Like
    So i emailed the director 4r Canyon City Water District and they use chlorine. "We use only chlorine for that purpose. An average disinfectant residual across our Distribution System is 1.0 mg/L." Not sure if that's good or bad

Sent from the world of 100110