Thread: New to the hobby but loving it

New User Framedspider@gmail.com's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

New to the hobby but loving it

Hey i had my tank up for about 3 months now everything is going good dont have much in it have to go really slow i have a 55g trying to do this right i also have a 125 im trying to start up i love to learn so if anyone ever has any criticism please let me know im really excited to joi. This group

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the club!
    There is a lot of great info on here, just browse around. Feel free to ask questions.
    Don't look here for a comment.

3. Likes Framedspider@gmail.com liked this post
    Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the group. Great start. I look forward to watching your tank and your hobby grow. Welcome to the addiction. You asked for criticism so I will help you out a little.

Remove your damsels before adding other reef safe fish. Although, yours are reef safe, the specific types that you have can be pricks to the other sensitive fish that you will want in the future. If you like the smaller damsels, I suggest azure or allen damsels. If you are looking for other small hardy, inexpensive scooling fish, I recommend blue reef chromis and green chromis to get you started. Clown fish are also in the damsels family and are typically hardy as well (maroon clown will be nice at the beginning and become picks after a while as well).

Place a foam cover over your pump intake to ensure that fish, shells, etc dont get stuck to the units.

Add more rock if possible. You are new to the hobby and will undoubtedly have some parameter stabilization issues at the beginning. Live rock will help you out with some natural filtration since you are not running a sump.

*Dont set up your 125 until you have some corals (assuming you want a reef tank and not a FOWLR,) thriving or fish that are alive for more than 6 months. This will save you a ton of money and help you design your 125 better.

Add a second heater to your tank. Set one one degree higher than the other. For example 77 & 78, your tank will stay at 78 and if that heater goes bad, the 77 heater will kick on. Add the physical check of your heater to your weekly system checks.

Look forward to meeting you.

JJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by static reef View Post
    Welcome to the group. Great start. I look forward to watching your tank and your hobby grow. Welcome to the addiction. You asked for criticism so I will help you out a little.

Remove your damsels before adding other reef safe fish. Although, yours are reef safe, the specific types that you have can be pricks to the other sensitive fish that you will want in the future. If you like the smaller damsels, I suggest azure or allen damsels. If you are looking for other small hardy, inexpensive scooling fish, I recommend blue reef chromis and green chromis to get you started. Clown fish are also in the damsels family and are typically hardy as well (maroon clown will be nice at the beginning and become picks after a while as well).

Place a foam cover over your pump intake to ensure that fish, shells, etc dont get stuck to the units.

Add more rock if possible. You are new to the hobby and will undoubtedly have some parameter stabilization issues at the beginning. Live rock will help you out with some natural filtration since you are not running a sump.

*Dont set up your 125 until you have some corals (assuming you want a reef tank and not a FOWLR,) thriving or fish that are alive for more than 6 months. This will save you a ton of money and help you design your 125 better.

Add a second heater to your tank. Set one one degree higher than the other. For example 77 & 78, your tank will stay at 78 and if that heater goes bad, the 77 heater will kick on. Add the physical check of your heater to your weekly system checks.

Look forward to meeting you.

JJ
    Can u explain the foam on the pump sorry that has happened in my fresh water tank and couldn't figure out how to fix it i am running a marine land canister i have a sump just need overflow boxes and return pump and working on more rock lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Welcome to the club!
    There is a lot of great info on here, just browse around. Feel free to ask questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure enough right after it was mentioned to me my anemone got in the pump i hope hes ok

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to your addiction, ask as many questions as you can and take everything with a grain of salt. There is no perfect way to have a reef tank. One word of advice I can give is quarenteen your new fish and don't always trust where you get your corals and fish. Iv dealt with velvet and ich. Never fun to watch everything perish without complete control

8. Likes Framedspider@gmail.com liked this post
    Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Foam block from ebay, cut it with a razor knife, cut out a small whole and place over your pump input

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to SCMAS. You mentioned you were going to get an overflow box, I would recommend a Ghost style overflow. With them, there is no need for a U tube and the problems they cause.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

11. Likes Framedspider@gmail.com liked this post
    SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. Looking forward to your progress.
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Post Thanks / Like
    Im actually leaning towards a pre drilled tank at the moment. Already have the sump and piping but people just want a fortune

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Framedspider,

my congratulations with your new hobby...good start
    I hope you enjoy this addiction !

Have you thought about adding some colorful fish? I think it will it will make your tank look more interesting

Zhenya