Thread: Carter's first saltwater 75 bow front

Post Thanks / Like

Carter's first saltwater 75 bow front

I thought I would start a thread about my venture into the land of saltwater and reefs. I had wanted to give it a try for many years just never had the guts to make the leap! I found what I thought was just a standard 75 gal bow front on cl, made a lowball offer cuz I really didn't think my wife would okay another tank and I really didn't need another one just fun to have, ya know!
    Offer was accepted and I went to check it out, the wife even agreed to go look!

The first thing I noticed was the overflow box in the corner of the tank. Not sure what to think I decided to continue with caution that changed to extreme excitement when I told the wife it was saltwater ready ish with overflows, sump/fuge hood, stand, return pump, and all, she pulled the cash out and purchased the tank right then and I was shocked no further discussion I was starting a saltwater tank!

I hit the internet to figure out what I was getting myself into. I had done some research over the last few years but needed more learning! I found SCMAS, and a huge wealth of experience and knowledge! Thank you for that!

I found some great deals on LR and other beginner equipment from SCMAS members. I met people that live close by and am able to bounce ideas off them for purchase of other equipment and lighting.

I got the tank up and running, made a video to check the flow and ask for feedback on it. I used frozen food in the video in hopes to get the tank cycling. The stench to follow over the next day or 2 was bad and it's a good thing the wife was out of town!

https://youtu.be/xtjdmiNzWBo

Near the end of the cycle I was given a few frags by awesome SCMAS members! I started my CUC because my tank suddenly had a huge growth of gha. Again great prices from SCMAS members!

I began to plot ideas to improve my system including extending my sump and fuge into my cellar. Well a week or two later my return pump broke and it became necessary to replace. My wife had gotten the saltwater bug and purchased another 75 gal tank she wants FOWLR, and change my corner tank with chiclid's into a sea horse tank. Now seemed to be the right time to expand since I already had to replace the return pump. Made a rough plan and got to work.

A few days later with no return pump and just keeping my DT water conditions best as possible I finished a temporary system that will continue to evolve.

Back up and going now, most recent struggle has been one I've expected with the sump fuge move to the cellar, it's hard to get water to the 78 degree mark. Flip side is I won't need a chiller for summer months like I was expecting, other tanks in this room cook even without a heater in the summer months.

It's a work in progress and I hope to update this thread as I advance this system!

Carter

2. Likes turbojoe, Murfman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good man. Nice slew of pictures too. We are all picture freaks here if you haven't been able to tell.
    Coral Xpressions
    coralxpressions@hotmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...45044298939508

When all else fails, kick it, smack it then throw it out the wndow and start over

4. Thanks maxthedog2000 thanked you for this post
    Likes maxthedog2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking Great ! like all the pics

6. Thanks maxthedog2000 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice DIY! I am going to start getting together my stuff soon to do a remote sump as well, I have a 100g rubbermade trough that will filter both a 180 and a 90. Cool ideas you got here.

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

8. Thanks maxthedog2000 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Definitely farther along than I was for a first saltwater tank.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok here is an update:

Seems like I've been through hell and back with this system. Mid May my return pump died again! Lucky I bought the last one at harbor freight and it's for free just a pain that I have to have an extra pump on hand to swap out. Eh at least they are replaced free! One day I'll get a good return pump just expensive to get one the size I need right now.

The wife and I were in a big box pet store, she saw an creature that was so beautiful and she just had to have! Against my better judgement we brought home a purple tip Condi.

It did very well and stayed put for weeks even as I added other creatures. The only thing that was surprising to me is that it never seems to get enough to eat I could feed it several times a day and it would eat every bit. I purchased more fish and critters from Bush and introduced them to the tank.

Sea Hare and 2 Lettuce Nudibranchs

A sweet Cardinal

And an awesome Firefish

Oh and some cool coral!

An awesome friend had a Bubble Tip Anemone split a few times and had one that was causing problems with his Coral so he gave me one love it!

Water prams seemed stable and things looked good overall so I added the 4 clowns I wanted (kids mostly) so bad.

Picasso

Snowflake

Black

Perc

All the fish ate well and seemed to be fine. Well mostly... Every night the black clown would jump into the overflow and I would have to net it back out. All the sudden my Picasso disappeared. Damn that was my favorite of all the clowns! I figured it just died and the crabs ate it, a day or two later the snowflake was gone to! I thought surely hermits aren't catching them but had to ask and be sure. Within a few hours of my realizing I was now minus 2 clowns the big bad Condi began to move. I kept an eye on it to make sure it wasn't going to her any of the corals. Then one Sunday afternoon I looked in the tank and the Condi was eating my black clown! ! ! I was pissed, the Condi had to go! ! ! I moved it temporarily (I thought) to my fuge in the cellar pending giving it away.

It went in the top bucket. Probably my bad for not taking the extra time to make sure it was super securely attached but it ended up going out the overflow past the ats and into the sump within a few hours. I noticed my DT was cloudy so I went to check the sump. That's when I discovered it had made its journey and finally ended up pulverized in my return pump spreading it's nasty toxins throughout the tank! EMERGENCY 60ish gal water change followed every other day by an additional 30gal for a week. Sadly during that time I lost my last clown and the Cardinal. The corals didn't seem to bad. Water pram's seemed to be normal after about a week. My coral isn't looking very good now tho. 

While all of this was going on I found a 75gal glass tank at a yard sale for 6$. It's not very pretty but that's a deal I don't think any of us would pass up especially considering it didn't leak! I cleaned, resealed, drilled, added baffles and a ghetto DIY overflow so I could use it as my fuge.

Drilling

Baffles

Ghetto DIY overflow

Fuge

Installed

Just need to add lights and macro algae. While setting this all up I elected to add my two systems (reef, FOWLR) together so they are all together and I will start a new thread for that system shortly.

I did take some of the LR from the reef tank to put in the FOWLR tank and rescaped. I think it looks much better and am excited to add more and restart on critters.

Carter
    Last edited by maxthedog2000; 06-08-2016 at 04:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well maybe you will have some good luck for a while now! I will however say it will come in waves, and it will always happen. One piece of advice so you avoid some problems in the future is to not add more than 2 clowns in that size tank. Odds are they will fight and two of them will be killed off as they start to pair up as they mature. This isn't always the case, but it's very common.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

12. Thanks maxthedog2000 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I had that happen. Added four in a 350 gallon and two of them paired up and chased the other female mercilessly. I had to catch the other pair and move them to the sump.
    Don't look here for a comment.

14. Thanks maxthedog2000 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

16. Thanks maxthedog2000 thanked you for this post