Thread: Quarantine

Post Thanks / Like

Quarantine

Fresh Salt water or Water from my tank? or 50/50

Post Thanks / Like
    We use 100% water from our big tanks, but that's because we're lazy and don't mix it up and temp it before hand. The big tanks can take cold freshly made water and then I have to temp conditioned water for a quarantine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used 100% from my main tank to set up my quarantine tank and (as long as it is stable). When I do a water change water on the Main tank the water from the change goes in to the quarantine tank for its water change. Water goes one way from the MT to the quarantine only. If I cant use water from the main I mix a small portion to do a water change in the quarantine. My quarantine is only 20gal so it usually works very well.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Going to need to cycle QT, unless you have enough filter media already seasoned in there. 100% from display works fine.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    Going to need to cycle QT, unless you have enough filter media already seasoned in there. 100% from display works fine.
    Why would I cycle the qt no live rock or sand

Post Thanks / Like
    Cycle or not to cycle depends if you plan to keep it running continuously. Some people keep media in their sumps and or refugiums to put in to their quarantine and some keep a quarantine actively running with some kind of simple filter or live rock and heater. I personally keep mine running with an old seastorm sand filter and heater and keep the bottom bare. I feel if you get something really nasty come in on a fish or what ever it is easier to sterilize everything and move forward that way. With an active quarantine it is much easier to resist the impulse to buy a new fish and just put him in the Main Tank. Quarantine is not easy either, seeing that new fish in their every day and imagining how great it will look in the main tank for the 2-3 month you have set for quarantine is hard. It is a good habit to get in to though, a large percentage of the time it will prevent nasty's from entering the Main tank, you can make sure the fish is eating well and it will always allow your fish to get used to you, your cleaning and feeding habits and then make the transition in to the main tank less stressful.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really dont get fish too often so it would be only as needed the only reason is because my new 10g is cycling right now and the new fish is coming in wed so I need a place to put them