Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My venture back into salt Jebo 35ish

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maxthedog2000 View Post
    Interesting, YouTube or own design?

Carter
    It's my own design inspired by youtube. mostly just plotting and scheming. It's literally a one inch pvc pipe with one inch to 1/2 inch reducer, a small piece on 1/2 inch pvc and a limewood airstone. I still need to figure out a collection cup, but it works...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, very interesting! Do you think it will be sufficient for your tank? What about larger scale 2 or 3 inch pvc or larger? I suspect that it's when you would need the powerhead and needle impeller.

Carter

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maxthedog2000 View Post
    Hmm, very interesting! Do you think it will be sufficient for your tank? What about larger scale 2 or 3 inch pvc or larger? I suspect that it's when you would need the powerhead and needle impeller.

Carter
    right now it is overkill. My bioload is light. from what I've seen you don't need anything more on a 2 inch setup. I basically took the design on this video and modified it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=223-24zhjoc

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a lawnmower today. I might call him Toro.uploadfromtaptalk1461721706396.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901

5. Likes maxthedog2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bpfish View Post
    I bought a lawnmower today. I might call him Toro.uploadfromtaptalk1461721706396.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901
    They are one of the best fish, love there personality congrads on a great fish choice lol

7. Likes Bpfish liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The Jebo will soon be replaced by a 40b. It's going to be a build for sure. The 40b display will share a 40b sump with the shallow 30. We had to move a couch and chair from the living room into storage to make it happen. I'll show the build as it happens.

Sent from my LG-H901

9. Likes static reef, fisher, charleshardy5 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bulkheads, diamond hole saws, and router bits are here! I started to lay out the overflow section and so far am happy with it. There will be two 1 inch bulkheads in the overflow section to drop the water to the sump. The overflow will be built with black acrylic, the Sam as in my Jebo. The difference is that this overflow box will only extend 4.5 inches down into the tank, I get the whole floor to play with! Here's a quick pic of the initial layout, drawn on the tank with dry erase marker. The circles are where I will be drilling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you going to just silicone the overflow box to the glass?

Carter

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. It will have a 1/2inch lip on the inside of the box around the back to silicone the box to the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been somewhat productive today. I layed out my overflow plan, made a template for drilling the tank, drilled the tank, and now I'm posting photos.

I'm still waiting on acrylic to come in to build the overflow so hopefully that happens soon, it's in transit.

I decided to use 3/4 inch returns so I'll drill for those when they come in, probably tomorrow. Enough talk, here are the photos.

Template in place.

In place and ready to drill.

Holes cut. Not perfect but still very usable and I didn't crack the tank drilling for the first time!

Bulkheads in place.

14. Likes Larrypueblo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    taking shape. looks great exciting !!

16. Likes Bpfish liked this post
    Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Impressed with your DIY skills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by static reef View Post
    Looks great. Impressed with your DIY skills.
    Thanks. I make this stuff up as I go.... Or at least learn enough to get started and go from there.
    Adapt improvise and overcome.

Sent from my LG-H901

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know if I would call you a spontaneous reefer. Seems like you did a lot of planning and research.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by static reef View Post
    I dont know if I would call you a spontaneous reefer. Seems like you did a lot of planning and research.
    You're right, I plot and plan a build for quite a while before I even think of starting. This is a build I've wanted to do for years. The 40b part anyways.

Once upon a time I built fountains a ponds for a living and have quite a bit of experience with putting water features together. Much of that experience translates directly for something like this.

Sent from my LG-H901

21. Likes static reef liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while since I've updated on this build. Mostly because I haven't done much lately besides plan, sketch sump plans, and plot the plumbing. The entire system, including reactors, skimmer, algae scrubber, and returns will be run off of one return pump.

Tonight I cut most of the acrylic that needs to be cut. The overflow for the 40b is ready to be glued, the main divider for the sump is done and plans to finish the rest are in progress, my rough ideas are getting polished and refined as I go.

*The sump is going to be crazy, I can't wait to show it done and in action. It's based on a design I used to build for a LFS back in the day.*

*I'll also have a 20 tall tied in as an algae farm, complete with a drip down algae scrubber.*

It's madness and I love it!

Sent from my LG-H901

Post Thanks / Like
    The 40b dt is all drilled and ready to go. The overflow is made, cemented, and installed. With these things done the build part of the 40b is done. Now I can concentrate on finishing out the sump.*

Top down view of the 40b with overflow and return in place.

Sent from my LG-H901

24. Likes maxthedog2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Had some fun with the jebo this morning. By fun I mean that as I was leaving for work I noticed a growing puddle near the base of the stand. At first I thought, maybe the filtration is leaking. Nope, the water was coming from the bottom. Luckily the dt 40b was here and empty. I did a full drain and transfer of sand rock and critters in about an hour. The jebo will be hacked apart and used for other projects. I will never again use a used tank. This is the second used tank that has failed me.*

I'm just glad that I caught it when I did. If I hadn't noticed I would have come home to an empty tank, flooded house, and dead critters.

All critters are accounted for. Once the tank settles I'll do another head count though. It was a pretty rough and tumble transfer.

Sent from my LG-H901

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a scape figured out for the 40. As always it may change a bit but I'm liking it. The water is starting to clear after the move. I still need to paint the back glass black. That was going to happen before I filled it but.... Well you know, I wasn't planning on standing it up so soon.

Sent from my LG-H901

27. Likes Larrypueblo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    nice rock and like the scape love the way it looks like one of those Mistry islands with scary dark caves !