Thread: Sump Rule of thumb?

Post Thanks / Like

Sump Rule of thumb?

Is there a ratio of tank size to sump size?

I am going to build a sump out of acrylic for my 60 gallon cube. Was thinking in the range of 24x18x16 (Lxwxh) which is about 29 gallons.
    Going to have a fuge as part of it as well. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Build it as big as you can fit in my opinion, you always want more water volume. Makes it easier to add reactors, different skimmer, pumps, heaters, etc in the future. The most important thing though is that there is enough free board empty to handle the amount of water that drains back from your tank return lines when the pump is turned off. Never, ever, trust a check valve!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

3. Likes Levi, Murfman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I am also going to build a HOB overflow, was going to drill the tank, but decided against it.
    I figured i would keep the water level about 4 to 6 inches from the top, then that way there is a safety space.

Post Thanks / Like
    here is a link to the one I made about 9 years ago if you need any ideas. I would drill it instead if you can, I know there are people on here that have a lot of experience doing it and I bet they would help you. HOB overflows are always a gamble because if they loose suction your in trouble.
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...t=kirblit+sump
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, thats a great thread. Its an acrylic tank, so shouldnt be too bad to drill as long as i take my time and use a sharp hole saw,The tank has a built in sump in the back, just looking to add a real skimmer, fuge and increase the water capacity. I keep going back and forth on the HOB and drilling, I know drilling is a much smarter way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by projectx View Post
    Thanks, I am also going to build a HOB overflow, was going to drill the tank, but decided against it.
    I figured i would keep the water level about 4 to 6 inches from the top, then that way there is a safety space.
    Drill if you can. One of my tanks has an HOB overflow and it's had numerous problems over the last several years. It's in a fish-room and I have a flood sensor below the overflow so when it does have a problem the return stops. the last problem I had was a clogged sponge in my tank which dropped the return section low enough to suck in bubbles. These got into the overflow and caused it to break siphon.

I was heading out of town for three weeks recently so I added an Aqua Lifter Pump just as a backup helper and it's worked great. All I did was snake the intake line up into the top of the overflow tube and then put the output line back into the intake box inside the tank. Even if I add air bubbles to the overflow tube as a test they are sucked out and put back into the tank so it's a great backup system.

All that said -- drill if you can!!!

8. Likes Murfman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol you convinced me. I'll drill I'll drill

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    Build it as big as you can fit in my opinion, you always want more water volume. Makes it easier to add reactors, different skimmer, pumps, heaters, etc in the future. The most important thing though is that there is enough free board empty to handle the amount of water that drains back from your tank return lines when the pump is turned off. Never, ever, trust a check valve!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    I have always heard the same thing, the bigger the better

11. Likes Murfman liked this post