Thread: Soda lime granuals

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like

Soda lime granuals

Does anyone know where I can find this local? It is normally called SOFNOLIME.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you called the local scuba shops
    Coral Xpressions
    coralxpressions@hotmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...45044298939508

When all else fails, kick it, smack it then throw it out the wndow and start over

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Including Denver shops

Post Thanks / Like
    Nvm just googled it and not what I was thinking it was

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Try airgas. Also i think I want to do this to my skimmer as well.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Called airgas already

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NightStar View Post
    4.5kg is like 9.9lb and thats a 12 pack!

Post Thanks / Like
    So what do you use it for? C02 absorption ? or does it do some thing else for reef tanks ?

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    When you have a basement set-up you typically have a low ph. To fix this, you build a reactor that is after your skimmer. Granuals absorb all co2 from the air and sucks in o2 only. This raises your ph to a higher les acidic level. My system's ph stabilizes at 7.81-7.85. The expectation of the scrubber will be to raise me to 8.0-8.1.

I could run my skimmer lines outside, but outside oxegyn also carries co2 which wouldn't allow my ph to raise as high as I want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by static reef View Post
    When you have a basement set-up you typically have a low ph. To fix this, you build a reactor that is after your skimmer. Granuals absorb all co2 from the air and sucks in o2 only. This raises your ph to a higher les acidic level. My system's ph stabilizes at 7.81-7.85. The expectation of the scrubber will be to raise me to 8.0-8.1.

I could run my skimmer lines outside, but outside oxegyn also carries co2 which wouldn't allow my ph to raise as high as I want.
    thanks for the info jj now I know

Post Thanks / Like
    Run your line from outside to the scrubber then to the skimmers.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Run your line from outside to the scrubber then to the skimmers.

For what purpose? If the scrubber is designed to reduce all co2 then I do not need to allow freezing cold air into the house for no reason.

If you meant for me to run outside air into the skimmers with no scrubber, then that will be my 2nd option if I do not find any sofnolime local. This would be the second best option as there is obviously less co2 in the outside air, than in my basement.

The ph is stable it's just low. I do not want to pay $100 every so often (my assumption is that I will go through a lot of this stuff) with the size of both skimmers and a total of 3 pumps if I cannot buy local. I will be completing the sea grass tank this week and will make a decision after I see how much co2 the caluerpa prolifera extracts and raises the ph.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have 10 parts o2 and 50 parts co2, getting rid of the co2 leaves 10 parts o2.

Bringing in outside air you have 80 parts o2 and 10 parts co2, getting rid of the co2 leaves you with 80 parts o2.

Option a is like feeding 200tds to your di resin vs option b which is like feeding 2 tds to your resin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plants consume co2 when the lights are on and expel co2 when the lights are off.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have 10 parts o2 and 50 parts co2, getting rid of the co2 leaves 10 parts o2.

Bringing in outside air you have 80 parts o2 and 10 parts co2, getting rid of the co2 leaves you with 80 parts o2.

Option a is like feeding 200tds to your di resin vs option b which is like feeding 2 tds to your resin.

Plants consume co2 when the lights are on and expel co2 when the lights are off.

Yes Levi, I get it. I do not want to pump in cold air into the house that has to be reheated and drive up the electric bill more than what it is. I am a big boy and understand how plants work.

I can work the google button as well.

"Yes, most*plants*take in*carbon dioxide*during photosynthesis during the day and*release carbon dioxideduring respiration at*night. However,plants*take up much more*carbon dioxide*in photosynthesis than they give off in respiration."

I have done the research on how I want to raise the ph and would just like to know if someone has some soda lime local.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Levi, I get it. I do not want to pump in cold air into the house that has to be reheated and drive up the electric bill more than what it is. I am a big boy and understand how plants work.

I can work the google button as well.

"Yes, most*plants*take in*carbon dioxide*during photosynthesis during the day and*release carbon dioxideduring respiration at*night. However,plants*take up much more*carbon dioxide*in photosynthesis than they give off in respiration."

I have done the research on how I want to raise the ph and would just like to know if someone has some soda lime local.
    well someone got up on the wrong side of the bed apparently. Was not trying to offend you at 3:47am this morning when I was typing half asleep. I did not use google for any of what I typed, but before BRS stopped selling their CO2 scrubber kit, they had a video about it and basically everything that I just typed. The cold air that 2 skimmers will bring in, running it through the scrubber and then down to the skimmer is such a small amount in comparison. Saying it will drive up the electric bill is unrealistic. 20 minutes of sealing up wall outlets that are on outside walls, windows and doors to make sure you have good seals and replacing the garage door that has a huge dog door in it will do more for driving down your electric bill then will running fresh air to 2 skimmers for the purpose of balancing ph and getting it closer to that 8.3 mark. Just my 2 cents so you obviously know you can take all of it with a grain of salt.

The point I was trying to make is that you are going to burn through soda lime more rapidly doing it with stagnant basemant air meaning increased cost of replacement reagent vs a most likely non noticable difference in your gas bill due to bringing in fresh air to the skimmers and running it through the scrubber to get optimal o2. Another options would be to get o2 tanks and just inject o2 right into the tank through the same atomizer that planted tanks use for injecting co2. o2 is pretty cheap and can refill tanks at airgas.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished calling every medical supply store in colorado springs as well as every vet supply store and it is a special order item. Also for that price, I am not finding anything online that can even come close to this price for the weight. 4.5kg or 9.9lbs container is $19.56 and takes 2 weeks to come in, has to be paid upfront.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-co...-pPxoCRhfw_wcB
    BRS has less than 4.5kg for $50

Doctors Supply Inc  
    Medical Supply Store
    Address: 4680 Edison Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80915
    Phone719) 570-7400

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Static, I'm interested in the details of your setup, what salt you're using, what SG, what additives you're using, whether you're running an algae scrubber, using cheato, what hours the plant lights are on and what your 24/hr ph graph looks like. I ask as I've had systems in two different basements over the last eight years and my ph generally runs 8.4 and never drops below 8.3. It's actually difficult for me to add kalk as it raises my ph up too high.

Tell me about your system if you don't mind.