Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D wall

Post Thanks / Like

3D wall

I have decided to build a 3D wall to cover my overflow pipes. Got the egg crate cut out to fit. Next stop the dollar store to get some zip ties then off to Lowe's to get the pond foam. Also thinking about doing a waterfall in the middle of the tank, anyone done this?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisjtja View Post
    I have decided to build a 3D wall to cover my overflow pipes. Got the egg crate cut out to fit. Next stop the dollar store to get some zip ties then off to Lowe's to get the pond foam. Also thinking about doing a waterfall in the middle of the tank, anyone done this?

Joe did this exact same thing except covered all of the foam in hydraulic cement and it failed. I would zip tie the egg crate around some wood forms to make sure they do not move during the curing of the foam and cover the foam in sand while it is still tacky and NOT cover it in hydralic cement if I were going to do something like this. The issue is then how to make it sink since it is foam it will want to float. Good luck and cant wait to see the pictures of the progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Levi, I was going to silicon it to the tank so it won't float away and use a 2 part expoy resin to seal it as soon as I find out what is safe to use.

4. Likes Levi liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Levi, I was going to silicon it to the tank so it won't float away and use a 2 part expoy resin to seal it as soon as I find out what is safe to use.

There's a two part resin that is labeled aquarium safe, it's what they use for building wood aquariums. For floating away, you could always incorporate a couple real base rocks at the bottom as weights.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the route I would go and do it before I ever set up the tank. Good thinking!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NightStar View Post
    There's a two part resin that is labeled aquarium safe, it's what they use for building wood aquariums. For floating away, you could always incorporate a couple real base rocks at the bottom as weights.
    I want to incorporate rocks into them but wasn't sure how to attach them, since they will be small I was thinking they would break if I was to drill holes in them to attach to the egg crate. I found a two part epoxy online that's aquarium safe and it's pretty cheap considering my project is small. Here's the link
    http://www.shopmaninc.com/epoxy.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got off the phone with this company and they said their 150 thick system epoxy is the one to use and for my project it's only $15 plus $12 shipping

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got off the phone with this company and they said their 150 thick system epoxy is the one to use and for my project it's only $15 plus $12 shipping

I would get the larger container for only a few dollars more. It looks like the quart size is $23 and its better to have too much than not enough especially since its only $8 difference

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for providing the info. I was looking and couldn't find where I got mine before. It was from some boat making company. This kind is not UV resistant. The coating of sand/aragonite and then the coraline algae should protect it. The foam will be very buoyant so you will certainly want toms thing to hold it down. If you build a base that is under the sand, it could help. The rocks attached with zip ties works, but also if you just set them where you want them and use the foam and epoxy to hold them in, you really don't have to drill or zip tie them. If your tank has a top, and the piece goes all the way to the top, that will also help hold it in place.
    Last edited by Joe; 01-25-2016 at 04:09 PM.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which hardener did they recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Thanks for providing the info. I was looking and couldn't find where I got mine before. It was from some boat making company. This kind is not UV resistant. The coating of sand/aragonite and then the coraline algae should protect it. The foam will be very buoyant so you will certainly want toms thing to hold it down. If you build a base that is under the sand, it could help. The rocks attached with zip ties works, but also if you just set them where you want them and use the foam and epoxy to hold them in, you really don't have to drill or zip tie them. If your tank has a top, and the piece goes all the way to the top, that will also help hold it in place.
    good point. If you make a flat piece of egg crate that acts like a "foot" you could put some base rocks on the foot to help hold it down. Now that I see the tank is acrylic, I am not sure silicone will do a great job in the long term of holding the wall in place so you may want to either use weldon 16 to weld the egg crate to the acrylic or do like Joe is suggesting.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    What about incorporating magnets to the rock wall with a 1/2" space between the glass and the back? You would catch some detritus, but not to much and it would give you a safehaven for pods like joe's tank. Since it would be removable it would make it easy for cleaning and checking overflows. If you decide to move/sell the tank it would make it alot lighter.

I know this idea has some problems, just trying to think out side the box.

Post Thanks / Like
    The space is great for pods and I didn't see any detritus issues. The water pulled through there to go into the overflow, so it wasn't a dead spot. A couple of times some of the smaller fish wiggled their way back there and I was afraid they would get stuck. I had to help one or two figure it out, but overall not a real big problem. I think keeping it down to a quarter inch space or less would be good.

15. Likes static reef liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Which hardener did they recommend?
    150 THICK*EPOXY*SYSTEMHARDENER>>With*1:1*Ratio Epoxy Hardener
    Is what they told me to use

Post Thanks / Like
    I've made a mistake and need a small piece of acrylic. I mistakenly drilled the new bulkhead hole in the wrong spot and it won't fit on the stand. If anyone has a scrap piece laying around and would be willing to give it to me I would greatly appreciate it.

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    I can help you out. What size and thickness do you need?
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Post Thanks / Like
    We figured out we could cut the inside corner of the stand to make it fit instead of sealing the holes and recutting without compromising the integrity of the stand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoohoo! It fits!

21. Likes Levi liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoohoo! It fits!

awesome! more pics!

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI Pond foam is a pain to work with lol and what a mess it makes. Good thing I was wearing old clothes