Thread: Sand Sifting Gobies

Post Thanks / Like

Sand Sifting Gobies

Hey all do any of you have a special way or found any tricks to fattening up sand sifting Gobies? I have a Gold Head Sleeper Goby that is slowly losing weight. His color is great and he is very active and always out and doing his thing. I have had him for about 8 weeks and he has gone through every grain of sand in my tank several times and grazes on things on the rocks but is loosing weight. He sometimes eats with the other fish when I broadcast feed their food but he does not go after the food like he is hungry, it is more like he is pissed off it is in his face. Thanks for any help or suggestions you might have.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    How old is your tank? How big? They eat the microfauna found in the live sand. If the tank/sand are relatively new, then there is not enough microfauna to support him. Same thing if the tank is too small.

http://www.oocities.org/stylatin/gobies.htm
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    55 gal and has been set up since 2002 but I replaced most of the crushed coral bottom (large) back in April and replaced it with black sand. The live rock and large coral skeletons have been in place for years. The sand bed is truly like it is a fairly new tank. I have been adding pods and I see the little sand stars when the lights are out. I had observed so much activity in the sand I had hoped it had repopulated from the remaining crushed coral and live rock to sufficiently to feed this guy. I was hoping some one might have an idea of a way to supplement feeding him or some other idea.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    You can try to drop some sinking pellets in the typical areas that he sifts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our "sandsifter" goes after the biggest hunks of meat he can get. If the cube hasn't melted all the way yet, he'll swallow the whole thing. Or krill, he'll eat those whole. Maybe try krill?

Post Thanks / Like
    I soaked some pellets in garlic and then scattered them on the sand in areas where there is lowest current about an hr. before lights on this morning. Ill try it for a few days and see if it helps thank you everyone for the suggestions. Stubborn fish are such a pain LOL and the aggressive feeders don't help much in trying to place food for the ones that don't want to eat.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 frozen krill. Deliver in front of him with a baster.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you chop them up real fine or just leave them whole? The ones I have are very large and I cut them up. He picked at them but acted like they were too big and spit them out. He did keep going back at them though...

Post Thanks / Like
    The ones I have are in the frozen cubes. I also have frozen mysis - that might be a better fit. The krill are about twice the size of the mess. I haven't chopped them up, but it might be good for yours. The one I had was pretty big.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feed a portion frozen Mysis almost every day and he has never shown much interest in it...like I said before when he did eat it, it was like he was pissed off it was in front of him. Today he actually went after the pieces of Krill...they must give off a different flavor in the water...I think I need to cut them in to smaller pieces next time. The garlic soaked pellets were gone but I don't know if it was him, one of my CUC, or one of the other fish. I am out of town for a couple days and will start working with him again on Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Krill I purchased were HUGE so I food processes them added some Garlic RX and put it in to an old Mysis cube tray. The krill seem to have turned the trick as he is coming out to feed and fight for food with all the other fish. He is still real thin but now that he is eating he should fatten up. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FireDawg56 View Post
    The Krill I purchased were HUGE so I food processes them added some Garlic RX and put it in to an old Mysis cube tray. The krill seem to have turned the trick as he is coming out to feed and fight for food with all the other fish. He is still real thin but now that he is eating he should fatten up. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
    I would add some prazipro to the food
    http://www.hikariusa.com/solutions/healthaid/prazipro/

It is common for fish that sleep in the sand or sift the sand to get stomach worms such as a tapeworm so that no matter how much they eat, they will eventually starve to death.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FireDawg56 View Post
    I would add some prazipro to the food
    http://www.hikariusa.com/solutions/healthaid/prazipro/

It is common for fish that sleep in the sand or sift the sand to get stomach worms such as a tapeworm so that no matter how much they eat, they will eventually starve to death.