Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: GHA Cure? Time will tell

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ddwmedic View Post
    Are you still liking your gyre? have you had any problems with it?
    Yes, still liking the Gyre. I had a problem with the power cord and had to have them replace it under warranty. Not the most intelligent design to have the power cord come out of the back of the motor housing and get squashed against the glass to make an immediate 90 degree angle. The vinyl covering over the wires split at that spot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Northernmost SPS aquarium in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ddwmedic View Post
    I need an abbreviation log/book/cheat sheet for beginners...
    Which abbreviations do you need an explanation for?

Post Thanks / Like
    So after swapping out the Petco brand CaCo3 sand with actual aragonite sand and letting it sit for a month or so, we tapered off the VSV dosage until we stopped completely. It's been 2 weeks now and nitrates are still zero. Didn't take too long for the DSB to start working. I also removed the scrubber a while ago. I'll continue to monitor the nitrates for a while just to be sure.

The uber-concentrated lanthanum chloride also did one heck of a job. I believe I should be able to get away with one drop a month to keep phosphates at the 30ppb target level.

4. Likes Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Latest update. Nitrates are still zero with the DSB but, of course, it doesn't help with phosphates at all. I had a small GHA outbreak a couple months ago but was able to deal with it. I saw a BRS video series on nutrient export using rapidly growing chaeto in the sump. The results are pretty impressive in Part II of the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr1q5BkvO_o . Of course, Part III ends in a shameless plug for Triton products they just happen to sell, but the results of their experiment are impressive. Nitrates, phosphates and pH are all optimized, which should all help with the display tank. By outcompeting nuisance algae for nutrients, algae in the main tank are no longer an issue, and pH values are consistently high.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceOps View Post
    Latest update. Nitrates are still zero with the DSB but, of course, it doesn't help with phosphates at all. I had a small GHA outbreak a couple months ago but was able to deal with it. I saw a BRS video series on nutrient export using rapidly growing chaeto in the sump. The results are pretty impressive in Part II of the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr1q5BkvO_o . Of course, Part III ends in a shameless plug for Triton products they just happen to sell, but the results of their experiment are impressive. Nitrates, phosphates and pH are all optimized, which should all help with the display tank. By outcompeting nuisance algae for nutrients, algae in the main tank are no longer an issue, and pH values are consistently high.
    I removed my DSB and focused on growing chaeto after the video came out. I donít test nitrates or phosphates, but I have zero algae in my display now. Zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I removed my DSB and focused on growing chaeto after the video came out. I donít test nitrates or phosphates, but I have zero algae in my display now. Zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any difference in pH?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    PH has stabilized with less fluctuations daily. However, I made three big changes at once, so I can't evaluate the results of each change separately. I removed the DSB, added a Kessil light over the sump, and started dosing live phyto. I know the phyto has resulted in my pods increasing a whole lot, and it can stabilize PH. My guess is the cheato is growing much faster with more room because the DSB was gone, and that growth helped outcompete the algae in the display. I think the phyto helped outcompete the algae by also reducing nitrates and phosphates, and stabilized the PH because the phyto consumes carbon dioxide and releases oxygen.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's good to see somebody independently confirmed their results. It makes me more confident going forward with this.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the next step will be to get an Apex with a couple of the add-ons, like the WXM for the Radions, maybe the DOS, and the water leak detector.