Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting thoughts

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like

Lighting thoughts

So I have been battling hair algae. I cleaned the tank Sunday and have just been running blues and haven't noticed the algae. Will just running the blues cause my corals to not grow or any problems to the fish?

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope.
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool

Post Thanks / Like
    some people say there are long term problems but that is just from only blues for months to years at a time

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kutcha View Post
    some people say there are long term problems but that is just from only blues for months to years at a time
    Only problems I can see is when fragging and selling or giving to someone that runs something more intense, they need to know what the stuff was grown in so they dont shock it to death.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to get to the real root of the problem and not try and bandaid it by running only blues blues will not provide all the spectrums your corals are used to so in a way yes you will shock them a little it will affect growth it will probably slow down.

Post Thanks / Like
    top producers of GHA
    over feeding-we all do it
    phosphate in the system- some rocks are full of it
    bad water filters- check with tds meter
    equipment not functioning properly ie skimmers not skimmin
    the easiest way to get rid of it is macro i use cheateo if your not ripping it in half and throwing away a foot ball size chunk every 2 weeks get diff fuge light 6k metal halide is the best cfl/s are okayish i suppose leds not impressed....

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard that few supplies will put there coral under blues light all day and night a couple days before shipping. Not sure if it's but

Post Thanks / Like
    its for coloration only i used to run 2 reefs both with halide one was ushio 6500k and the other phoenix 14k i used to buy large100-200 polyp zoa rocks froma store in parker i would take them home and split them in half one for each tank the stuff in the ushio tank grew 3x as fast as the stuff in the 14k phoenix tank but the corals in the 14k tank looked better as they had alot more color

Post Thanks / Like
    You outta see chads colorado sunburst nems under only blues up on MASC

11. Likes Levi liked this post
    Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot610 View Post
    top producers of GHA
    over feeding-we all do it
    phosphate in the system- some rocks are full of it
    bad water filters- check with tds meter
    equipment not functioning properly ie skimmers not skimmin
    the easiest way to get rid of it is macro i use cheateo if your not ripping it in half and throwing away a foot ball size chunk every 2 weeks get diff fuge light 6k metal halide is the best cfl/s are okayish i suppose leds not impressed....
    It is my frag tank. I have mostly zoas so I don't run a skimmer. I feed the tank every other day. I have chaeteo and throw a bunch away. I am at capacity in the tank with Corals. It is really strange because the algae only grows on a couple plugs here and there. It isn't in the entire tank. I am cycling my second frag tank which will have a skimmer. This is my bandaid until I can get the other tank going well.

Post Thanks / Like
    you just said your answer........ it only grows on a few plugs those plugs are probably loaded with P04 depends on what they are made out of i have had some before that grew algea like crazy if its a concrete plug it might have some rhyolite in it which has tons of phosphorus

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot610 View Post
    you just said your answer........ it only grows on a few plugs those plugs are probably loaded with P04 depends on what they are made out of i have had some before that grew algea like crazy if its a concrete plug it might have some rhyolite in it which has tons of phosphorus
    Interesting. I will watch and if the same plugs get it. I'll cut and glue to others

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Balz3352 View Post
    You outta see chads colorado sunburst nems under only blues up on MASC
    thing was amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Never realized any problems running blue only. Well, I guess if I wanted more gha it would be a problem... I recently pulled all but 4 diodes off my white side on my led fixtures to use the same 3 fixtures to double my blue wattage. Worked like a charm and still think I have too much white in there with only 12 10k white diodes

If you don't want to run a skimmer Chad do an algae scrubber. Works better than any macro in my experience. Cfl bulbs in a cheap garage reflector works great for lighting. Plenty of us run cfl or led extra fixtures over the sump with nice low electric bills, no excess heat and excellent plant growth.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    Last edited by greaseballpaul; 11-12-2015 at 07:11 PM.
    ......I am fluent in English, jibberish, smartass, drunken, auto spell, doofus, sarcastic, auto correct and dumb. It's know it all I have trouble with....

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    How does one build an algae scrubber? Im not super handy

Post Thanks / Like
    Basically just a PVC square base, 2 legs up and a tube across the top. Pump h2o in and it flows out through a slit cut in the bottom of the top tube, down a screen of cross stitch..... Uh..... Screen. It's a simple design. Place the reflectors with 40w equivalent cfl on each side of the screen running 16-18hrs/day. GHA grows on both sides and starves the algae in your display for nutrients.

......I am fluent in English, jibberish, smartass, drunken, auto spell, doofus, sarcastic, auto correct and dumb. It's know it all I have trouble with....

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Should I ditch the chaeto or leave it? I think I have a good idea of how I am going to build this. I hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greaseballpaul View Post
    Basically just a PVC square base, 2 legs up and a tube across the top. Pump h2o in and it flows out through a slit cut in the bottom of the top tube, down a screen of cross stitch..... Uh..... Screen. It's a simple design. Place the reflectors with 40w equivalent cfl on each side of the screen running 16-18hrs/day. GHA grows on both sides and starves the algae in your display for nutrients.

Do you have a pic of this contraption?

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay so my thought is that I will make it out of PVC because I assume it needs to be out of the water with just water flowing through it. Is that correct? I will build legs for the bottom and then PVC across with a slit in it. The PVC will then have a mesh connected to it that the water will flow. I hope this is right. Thoughts? Ideas?