Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY UV sterilizer

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are DIY'ing is there a way to set up a loop in your water flow so that the water passes by the bulbs twice...that would ensure 100% kill for water and might even extend the replacement time on your bulbs. Just thinking out loud and it is probably overkill with what you have planned already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FireDawg56 View Post
    If you are DIY'ing is there a way to set up a loop in your water flow so that the water passes by the bulbs twice...that would ensure 100% kill for water and might even extend the replacement time on your bulbs. Just thinking out loud and it is probably overkill with what you have planned already.
    hmm great thinking, I would have to figure out how to do that with check valves etc.... let me think about it

Post Thanks / Like
    Abs will be fine. Drainage pvc parts will work too. There won't be any pressure in it so that's not a concern. The pvc will be uv sensitive of course. Maybe you can just source aluminum sheeting to use as a liner/reflector inside the pvc parts?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by greaseballpaul; 11-19-2015 at 10:11 PM.
    ......I am fluent in English, jibberish, smartass, drunken, auto spell, doofus, sarcastic, auto correct and dumb. It's know it all I have trouble with....

Post Thanks / Like
    And if you wanted to go 4" conduit, I did happen to spot a stick of it recently.

Last edited by greaseballpaul; 11-19-2015 at 10:11 PM.
    ......I am fluent in English, jibberish, smartass, drunken, auto spell, doofus, sarcastic, auto correct and dumb. It's know it all I have trouble with....

Post Thanks / Like
    Dual pass would only require a double sided set up. Have the water drop into one side only for the first pass (bulbs have to be separated with glass from the water anyway and a couple glass sheets will be cheaper than tube I'm guessing) then have the outlet from that side loop back into the inlet on the #2 pass side. May not fit into your original design but if it's worth the extra .01% (which I doubt it is) to you, that's all you need to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Sweet. Have you considered creating some diy corals? I've got some primordial soup you can have , so supposedly you can make anything you want from it if you give it enough time.
    If it's frag - able I'll take a frag on dbtc terms. I'm down for diying myself some younger body parts and I'm thinking primordial soup is a great starting point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greaseballpaul View Post
    And if you wanted to go 4" conduit, I did happen to spot a stick of it recently.

Hmmmmmmmmmm let me see if I can fit that size into my stand

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Done for the night but dry fit the body of the sterilizer together. Will house 4x 36w bulbs with quartz sleeves and I will be using acrylic tops sanded down to act as a viewing window to make sure the bulb is working.

Last edited by Levi; 11-22-2015 at 02:19 AM.

9. Likes codeman01 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    make sure you use christy's red hot blue glue- it glues all types of pipe together 2 part cement and primer makes a mess and is kinda bad looking usually
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Christy-s...V-QP/100200766

Post Thanks / Like
    I use clear primer and Christ's red hot for all of my tank plumbing needs unless I am gluing to a bulkhead and then I use abs to pvc transition cement.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    so did you get the quartz tubes? Link?
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    so did you get the quartz tubes? Link?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/251992832090

14. Likes Murfman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Maybe I missed this, but how are you going to mount the tubes/lights so that that set directly in the center of the conduit? Or are you not concerned about that? Looks pretty awesome so far, and if it works out for you, I will definitely be building one for my next build.
    LEARNING SALTWATER ONE "CRASH" AT A TIME

Post Thanks / Like
    I am making an acrylic "ring" that will be glued into the pvc to hold the bottom of the tube and one at the top for the top of the tube. The quartz sleeves I purchased have a plastic lip at the top of the sleeve that will be glued to the acrylic using weldon 16. I reached out to IPS the makers of my weldon 16 and they confirmed that weldon 16 will work under pressure to weld acrylic to pvc fittings. Also the bottom "ring" will be sandwiched at the bottom of the fitting so that the pvc pipe will be glued in ontop of it effectively holding it in place. I probably do not even need any weldon on it. The top ring will for sure need weldon as I am going to sand them and they will double as a viewer to make sure the bulb is on but also to hold the sleeve.

17. Likes Murfman , codeman01 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...20W-UV-Project

another really cool diy UV project. I am finding that many pond owners are doing these types of projects compared to aquarium owners. I am using a 2G11 pin UV bulb and sleeve so mine will look slightly different but should still turn out ok.

Post Thanks / Like

I calculated my system at 300,000 but I am not trying to outright kill the ich but rather sterilize it so I feel very confident that being over the 90,000 that is typically used for sterilizing, I am going to be just fine.

20. Likes codeman01, howard24 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So got my quartz sleeves and bulbs and ballasts in. I need to make a new pvc setup because the sleeves are larger than expected and I do not think I can flow 1000gph through the setup. When the sleeve sits in the 2" pvc it leaves a 1/8" gap on all sides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    ABS in reef tank on reef central thread

also I believe the reason that ABS is not rated for as much pressure is because ABS is glued together, PVC is welded together. So if I use PVC conduit which is more UV resistant for the body with ABS fittings and use transition cement which does actually melt the abs and weld it to the pvc, I believe I will be able to use it for my UV sterilizer. Also I am only running around 1000gph through 3" ABS fittings so I am not afraid that it will be an issue.
    Any concerns about the effect of UV on the ABS glue, or any sealant used around the bulbs?
    Northernmost SPS aquarium in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    The pvc glue and abs to pvc transition cement are of no concern. The abs pieces have no contact with UV light and I am not worried about the pvc glue since its not glue but rather a welding agent.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with 3" all around and fed it with 1.5" pvc