Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY UV sterilizer

Post Thanks / Like
    Killer machine! Hmm, there's a pun in there somewhere. I wonder if it would be more efficient to have the UV before the skimmer instead of after. I can imagine some kind of problems adjusting the skimmer level with any added resistance to the outflow. Mine is ultra-sensitive. I also wonder if would be beneficial for the removal of the dead organisms immediately after they're killed by the UV. Your thoughts?
    Northernmost SPS aquarium in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceOps View Post
    Killer machine! Hmm, there's a pun in there somewhere. I wonder if it would be more efficient to have the UV before the skimmer instead of after. I can imagine some kind of problems adjusting the skimmer level with any added resistance to the outflow. Mine is ultra-sensitive. I also wonder if would be beneficial for the removal of the dead organisms immediately after they're killed by the UV. Your thoughts?
    Interesting idea there. I would have to guess that it would increase the skimmate production. My thought was that quartz sleeves get dirty and degrade the ability of the UV to do its job so I want the cleanest water possible going through it and is why I did it off of my return pump. Also instead of having a separate pump doing on a fraction of what my water circulation really is, I thought it was best to make it large enough to handle 1000gph which is where I am at with my return pump after head loss. I want to get one of the new Apex flow sensors to really test out what my true flow is, I did it just based off of the calculation you can do in regards to elbows etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok so after having this running for awhile I decided that it takes up way too much space the way that I built it. I am going to use white acrylic and rebuild it to take up a much smaller footprint. The white acrylic will reflect the light back in to amplify the effectiveness of the bulbs. I am still going to be using 4x of the 36w bulbs to allow the flow I want.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a separate return pump to send clean water up through mine and into the tank. A side benefit is the increased flow. When I clean the tank, I turn all the powerheads on high and the UV pump on high to circulate iota water through the filter socks faster.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    So how much clearance between the tube and the pipe wall? I imagine you want it fairly tight so you get max UV exposure to the organisms.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    3" pvc pipe and there is about 1/2" between quartz sleeve and the pvc wall

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the restricted water flow a problem or a benefit?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    What do the arrows from the bottom designate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had used 2" pipe the restriction would have been too much to run 1000gph through it. At 3" it allows enough flow and still gives me the power I want

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk