Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginning the 160G planted tank

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, there was a place selling a pack of 8 for something like 80 per 8 pack. I couldn't pass it up. Good bio media and I think some of the smaller inverts will end up making their home in the nylon scrubbers. I'm in the process of trying to get the plants and inverts shipped, but I need to do work on the permitting aspect of things.
    Last edited by esmith; 11-19-2015 at 02:55 PM.

2. Likes Levi liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So turns out the plants are pretty much a non-starter. Think I'm going to have to go with 'typical' freshwater plants in this tank, as the process behind getting Australian plants approved for shipment was going to be a huge undertaking. One which doesn't really offer the same benefits (in my mind) as getting cool Australian inverts breeding for example.

So, think I'm down to typical plants, and then I'll get the fish and inverts going.

For now, that probably means migrating some extra plants out of the tanks they're currently in and rehousing them in here and see how they grow. I'll need to order the lights next and then heaters. I have the GFI outlet on the way, so I should be able to have everything plugged in an running 24/7 starting this weekend. Once I bring the water up to temp I'll start plopping plants in the tank, get those established well and then make the invert order.

Probably give the inverts over the winter to really get solidly established, then add the fish.

4. Likes Levi liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hardscape arrived last night, went over to Greyhound this morning to pick it up. After adding the piece, I'm glad that I waited.

Next should be adding plants. (I've given up on Australian plants, importing them would be a huge pain)

Then the top and light(s).

The GFI outlet arrived this morning as well, so I don't worry about leaving everything on and plugged in. Will be interested to see how long before the water clears up, but I may add some finer filter material to the mix now that I'm not worried about someone getting electrocuted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did some pruning and relocating from other tanks just to get something started in here. Think I'll be ordering my light on black friday. I just don't have time to build one realistically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some additional plants this weekend from people doing tank trims. Now to tweak the last few things before adding shrimp.

Post Thanks / Like
    The shrimp should be arriving today, should have some photos of them in the next day or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    The shrimp slowly died over the course of the last few weeks. Not sure if it's tank conditions or stress from shipping. The tank does have a thriving population of misc. copepods and other small inverts, and the two test glass shrimp I put in there a month ago are still going strong, so it leaves me wondering.

My light arrived today though and I got that installed. So far I'm liking it. I'll have to figure out what to stock the tank with after I give things another month or so to settle out.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow that piece of driftwood is awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's beautiful

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got a shot of the shrimp that have survived. I think there are only 4 left of the original 35. Of those, 31 of them died within a week of arrival. The rest appear to be doing well. Every other invert in the tank has been doing just fine, and there are some copepods in the tank that are typically very sensitive to water quality that are thriving, so I hope there's nothing wrong with the tank conditions, and the die off was a result of the shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Added the first fish last night.

I'm liking how they school together.

14. Likes howard24 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The pygmy cory's think they're ottos.

https://gfycat.com/HeavyBeautifulKitty

Post Thanks / Like
    Been a bit over a month, figured I'd include a current tank shot to show the plant growth. Some of this stuff has already been trimmed more than once.

17. Likes ddwmedic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that looks amazing!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates?
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    I ripped out a 5 gallon bucket's worth of plants from the tank today to seed the work tank, I'll try and post photos of this tank too this week.