Thread: Die off/Re-Cycle following livestock transplant

Post Thanks / Like

Die off/Re-Cycle following livestock transplant

I apologize for such a remedial question if you find it to be as such..

Last week I purchased a sizable amount of live rock from a tank that had been established for a while. It was literally pulled from his tank, and put into a holding tank at my house until the display was ready. The rock had a ton of life on it; a few missed snails, polyps and monticap, some green/red hair algae, lots of pods, and (discovered last night) at least 3 small BTAs (not sure if there were more).

I didn't realize the abundance of life on the rock until yesterday when the water began to reek of death. I started to shuffle the rock around and found a few dead snails and one of the BTAs wedged between a couple rocks; likely dead.

In order to maintain a somewhat balanced bio-load I intend on doing frequent water changes. I doubt anything will survive. The holding tank has adequate flow and is maintaining temperature in the meantime, but saving anything is moot at this point. I figure the funky smell coming from the rock will eventually subside once everything dies.

Does anybody have any advice on how to cope with the situation?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    I apologize for such a remedial question if you find it to be as such..

Last week I purchased a sizable amount of live rock from a tank that had been established for a while. It was literally pulled from his tank, and put into a holding tank at my house until the display was ready. The rock had a ton of life on it; a few missed snails, polyps and monticap, some green/red hair algae, lots of pods, and (discovered last night) at least 3 small BTAs (not sure if there were more).

I didn't realize the abundance of life on the rock until yesterday when the water began to reek of death. I started to shuffle the rock around and found a few dead snails and one of the BTAs wedged between a couple rocks; likely dead.

In order to maintain a somewhat balanced bio-load I intend on doing frequent water changes. I doubt anything will survive. The holding tank has adequate flow and is maintaining temperature in the meantime, but saving anything is moot at this point. I figure the funky smell coming from the rock will eventually subside once everything dies.

Does anybody have any advice on how to cope with the situation?

Thanks!
    If you can, pull out the rock one by one and rinse very well in saltwater. Works well to time with a water change, using the old water to rinse, but only pull enough to rinse with then pull the rest of the water for a water change after you're done messing with the rock. With the rock, try to rinse off everything that is not alive. Sounds like built up detrius and sulfer were released when the rock was moved. Rinse it well in the saltwater, do a large (50%) water change, put a filter pad that can be rinsed out or filter socks right where your water enters your sump, put a crap load of carbon in after the initial filter pad and crank your skimmer high, pull as much as you can. Rinse the initial filter pad as often as needed. How's your circulation in the main tank? If it's a little low, add more circulation fans, get the water moving through the sump. Keep an eye on levels and if needed add some ammonia detox. If you have some, adding some fresh quick start bacteria will help.

3. Likes Rich liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The rock is currently held in a 50g tub. I've got a mag 5 circulating the water.

Check and check on the rinsing and water change.

By no means am I as experienced as most on this forum, but I've cured rock in a similar fashion with no repercussions. Any idea what I may have done, or been doing wrong in the past?
    to scmas.... here i come!

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Was the rock put in water from his system or new salt water? Temp of the water? SG of the water?
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    Was the rock put in water from his system or new salt water? Temp of the water? SG of the water?
    About 30% his system. Water temp has held at 80. 1.022sg.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    About 30% his system. Water temp has held at 80. 1.022sg.

Thanks
    Raise the salinity to 1.024. That low will kill off inverts and could have started a chain reaction. Also in an established system live rock can build up detrius and sulfur that can be stirred up when moved, making it different then just curing rock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NightStar View Post
    Raise the salinity to 1.024. That low will kill off inverts and could have started a chain reaction. Also in an established system live rock can build up detrius and sulfur that can be stirred up when moved, making it different then just curing rock.
    Salinity corrected. Thank you for your help!

Just an FYI: the ammonia levels are ridiculously high at 8.0ppm. Nitrites and nitrates are 0. Looks like the rock is cycling by the numbers.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the stuff that was on the rock is dying and that is what is causing your cycle.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    Prime can be of great help in these situations. It will neutralize ammonia for a day or 2

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk