Normal light

UV light

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    70s Disco at your place?
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    70s Disco at your place?
    cool new way to find out if you have nudi's?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure is easy to spot. Have you had good luck with them?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think nudibranchs only fluoresce if they've eaten something that fluoresces. Anything else they could have eaten?

Post Thanks / Like
    @Zinovate:
    I bought two really small ones and released them into a tank filled with aiptasia and never saw them again. I then heard that shrimp love to eat them -- especially peppermint shrimp and I had about six of those in the tank at the time (and none of them eating the aiptasia) so I figured the shrimp ate them. So my choices were to trap the shrimp and quarantine them while the Berghia did their job or do it the following way.

I bought four more and put these into a separate 10-gallon tank and put rocks with aiptasia on them into the tank for them to feast on. Once you see them high up on the glass you know the rock is clean and they're hungry again. As of right now I have a few aiptasia in their 10-gallon tank and zero in my 75 gallon. the Berghia are an inch long now and voracious predators leaving absolutely nothing behind of the aiptasia (unlike most other predators). Since I'm running out of food, I'm selling them. See the following listing:
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...762#post214762

@NightStar:
    Berghia's diet is exclusive to aiptasia -- without aiptasia, they die of starvation. With regard to their fluorescence, take a look at the bottom of the following page for a discussion on this as it would appear this is captured from eating aiptasia:
    https://saltyunderground.com/categor...ptasia-control

Here's the beginning of the relevant part:
    "Berghia also have been shown to harbor the Zooxanthellae, the photosynthetic symbiotic algae found in corals. While utilizing a very primitive form of symbiosis, the Berghia is able to capture zooxanthellae from the Aiptasia. Research has shown that these symbionts continue to perform high levels of photosynthesis and remain in the Berghia’s cerata for as much as 6 days before being excreted."

Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    @scrumpto
    Too bad they didn't start reproducing in your 10 G. One hell of a DBTC

Post Thanks / Like
    @scrumpto Where did you pick yours up from? Was it a local shop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scrumpto View Post
    @Zinovate:
    I bought two really small ones and released them into a tank filled with aiptasia and never saw them again. I then heard that shrimp love to eat them -- especially peppermint shrimp and I had about six of those in the tank at the time (and none of them eating the aiptasia) so I figured the shrimp ate them. So my choices were to trap the shrimp and quarantine them while the Berghia did their job or do it the following way.

I bought four more and put these into a separate 10-gallon tank and put rocks with aiptasia on them into the tank for them to feast on. Once you see them high up on the glass you know the rock is clean and they're hungry again. As of right now I have a few aiptasia in their 10-gallon tank and zero in my 75 gallon. the Berghia are an inch long now and voracious predators leaving absolutely nothing behind of the aiptasia (unlike most other predators). Since I'm running out of food, I'm selling them. See the following listing:
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...762#post214762

@NightStar:
    Berghia's diet is exclusive to aiptasia -- without aiptasia, they die of starvation. With regard to their fluorescence, take a look at the bottom of the following page for a discussion on this as it would appear this is captured from eating aiptasia:
    https://saltyunderground.com/categor...ptasia-control

Here's the beginning of the relevant part:
    "Berghia also have been shown to harbor the Zooxanthellae, the photosynthetic symbiotic algae found in corals. While utilizing a very primitive form of symbiosis, the Berghia is able to capture zooxanthellae from the Aiptasia. Research has shown that these symbionts continue to perform high levels of photosynthesis and remain in the Berghia’s cerata for as much as 6 days before being excreted."

Enjoy!
    awesome links and write up!