Thread: Harlequin Shrimp in 12 gallon Nano?

New User

Post Thanks / Like

Harlequin Shrimp in 12 gallon Nano?

I saw one of these little critters a while back and was wondering if it would be hard to keep one in a 12 gallon nanocube. I already have a cleaner shrimp, 3 crabs, and a few snails. I understand these guys eat starfish and was wondering if the starfish would end up dying and rotting before he could eat it all. I'm very diligent on caring for my specialty critters if given the right formula of care to start with. I ALWAYS opt for live food for any animal if I can, if not frozen will do.

Would it be possible to raise star fish in a separate tank, cut off a leg and freeze it and drop on in for the Shrimp when its time to feed?

Or should I just wait until I have the money for a large normal sized aquarium?

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one in my 29 gallon biocube. Have 2 chocolate chip stars in a sump. Feed him an arm every couple weeks.

3. Likes Mad78 liked this post
    New User

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool! These guys are super neat. I was thinking about setting up a ten gallon just to breed starfish. Do you just cut the little critters arm off and toss it in the tank? Think I could freeze arms for later? How often do you feed him?

Starfish breed quite fast right? I was thinking a bare bottom tank with some live rock to breed them.

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    Nvm. Every couple weeks, i see that now.

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my favorite shrimp for sure. Great for removing nuisance stars