Thread: BioCube Algae Takeover

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like

BioCube Algae Takeover

So I battled Bubble and Bryopsis for a while. I took out all rock that was covered and scrapped everything else. I thought it was gone. But nope the bubble algae is back and the bryopsis is as well. I run my lights 8 hours a day and feed every other day. Do I need to run a reactor? Start over? What are my options. All corals have been moved to the frag flat and just the fish remain. 2 clowns, yellow watchman goby, mandarin, clown goby. What am I missing??????????

Post Thanks / Like
    Emerald crab would take out the bubbles but for the bryosis I don't know and good luck with that one

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my two cents on starting over. i don't believe there is a way to "protect" a tank from algae. It can come in on anything and everything and be so minute it survives without being seen. If you start over, you'll probably just be dealing with algae again in a few months time. The pristine tanks aren't pristine because they don't have it present, because it's there at some level, they're pristine because they've figured out how to balance that specific tank. Unfortunately, with things like hair algae, each tank is going to have its own unique solution. I recommend that since you have a spot for your corals you have the time to figure out that tanks balance. It might be a reactor, either carbon or biopellets. Or there's something Murph was recommending that he and Joe dose. I've been meaning to get some to dose on the 180 since it's getting close to being ready for life again. Maybe they'll pipe up with what and where to get it. For bubble, rumen is right, one or two emeralds keep that all clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Table sugar bro, 1/10th of a teaspoon pee 25 gallons. If you took the rock out already once I'd do it again and dip it in 50/50 peroxide and tank water for 10 min. I did 20% solution on some rocks and frags and they cleaned up nicely. Corals are pissed but plugs and rocks are clear. Or dose vina get .1 ml per 25 gallons. You'll have to remove it all or (what i believe is happening to me as my water becomes cleaner and cleaner) it will feed off the light
    Coral Xpressions
    coralxpressions@hotmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...45044298939508

When all else fails, kick it, smack it then throw it out the wndow and start over

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Should I take the fish out?

Post Thanks / Like
    The sugar won't hurt em. As long as you rinse the rock well before o ut ting back in you should be fine. I'd probably look at media bags to out in the overflow section of it as well. Some carbon, nitrate media and maybe some phosphate reducer
    Coral Xpressions

When all else fails, kick it, smack it then throw it out the wndow and start over

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running chemipure and phosguard

Post Thanks / Like
    If just pull everything will algea in it and dip in peroxide. Pull off WHAT Ya Can By Hand and nuke that crap
    Coral Xpressions

Post Thanks / Like
    Come by the house and I can show ya
    Coral Xpressions

Post Thanks / Like
    If you use the sugar (1/8th tsp per 25gal) build up slowly and it will drop all nitrates and phosphates to undetectable levels. Make sure your skimmer is working well and life is good.