Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worms?

New User

Post Thanks / Like

Worms?

I found these in my tank today. Are these bristle worms? If so, how did they get there?uploadfromtaptalk1436502441789.jpguploadfromtaptalk1436502448784.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. And they can hitchhike in on just about anything. Probably came in on your rock as i remember you saying it was out of someone's tank right?
    Coral Xpressions
    coralxpressions@hotmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...45044298939508

When all else fails, kick it, smack it then throw it out the wndow and start over

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Plus 1

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coral Xpressions View Post
    Yes. And they can hitchhike in on just about anything. Probably came in on your rock as i remember you saying it was out of someone's tank right?
    Yeah, I suppose that could be. What do you suggest for termination?

Post Thanks / Like
    Let them be. Good part of a clean up crew. I only pull mine out when they hit godzilla size
    Coral Xpressions

When all else fails, kick it, smack it then throw it out the wndow and start over

6. Likes Rich liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Let them be. Good part of a clean up crew. I only pull mine out when they hit godzilla size
    TMI bro

8. Likes Rich liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Your humor is not appreciated here. Please go derail one of my threads lol
    Coral Xpressions

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    Aren't they going to sting me when I move stuff? Or are you saying the clean up crew will eat them all?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you touch them they will, but it isn't bad at all. They'll usually stay hidden during the day under or in rocks. And they are apart of the clean up crew. They'll just eat leftover crap and what not throughout the night
    Coral Xpressions

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    OK thanks

Post Thanks / Like

This is the size I can snag out of simple bottle traps. Just watch out for over breeding from over feeding. I've seen them steal food from inverts.
    Last edited by Brian; 07-09-2015 at 11:41 PM.

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

This is the size I can snag out of simple bottle traps. Just watch out for over breeding from over feeding. I've seen them steal food from inverts.
    Those are so nasty, I'm not looking forward to that. Once I looked closely, I noticed that there are quite a few in my tank. Can I starve them out or will they live off of algae?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't want them just start pulling them out with your tweezers

16. Likes Rich liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

I found half of one sticking out of one of my micromussas one morning. Apparently it tried to steal and got what it deserved, lol.
    Last edited by NightStar; 07-10-2015 at 08:04 AM.

18. Likes Rich liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jessicer View Post
    Those are so nasty, I'm not looking forward to that. Once I looked closely, I noticed that there are quite a few in my tank. Can I starve them out or will they live off of algae?

To starve these guys out you'd have to starve your tank, and these guys are hardier then most livestock, so you'd loose a lot of other things first. Like Bloodhound said, you can wait till they come out to feed then snag the ones you can with tongs. It's what I do. In any case, I highly recommend getting a box of disposable gloves for working in your tank. Not only will it protect you from getting stung by the things that sting, and there are a few In this hobby, it will protect your corals and tank from your hand oils and it softens the impact if you need to mess with your corals. Get the powder free kind. The big boxes are usually in with the medical stuff at Wal-Mart.

20. Thanks Rich thanked you for this post
    New User

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NightStar View Post
    To starve these guys out you'd have to starve your tank, and these guys are hardier then most livestock, so you'd loose a lot of other things first. Like Bloodhound said, you can wait till they come out to feed then snag the ones you can with tongs. It's what I do. In any case, I highly recommend getting a box of disposable gloves for working in your tank. Not only will it protect you from getting stung by the things that sting, and there are a few In this hobby, it will protect your corals and tank from your hand oils and it softens the impact if you need to mess with your corals. Get the powder free kind. The big boxes are usually in with the medical stuff at Wal-Mart.
    I'll definitely pick up some tongs so I can do that. My tank is kind of high, is it still useful to wear gloves when my arm is going in there too? It will be when I get coral for the reason you stated, but I'm just wondering about the oils.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jessicer View Post
    I'll definitely pick up some tongs so I can do that. My tank is kind of high, is it still useful to wear gloves when my arm is going in there too? It will be when I get coral for the reason you stated, but I'm just wondering about the oils.

I think it does, because hands are going to have dirt, food, hand soap, lotion, and a ton of other things that usually stop at the wrist. If you're worried about your arm, I do use full arm, up to the shoulder, disposable gloves. They're just thin plastic, so I usually put on a second latex or nitrile glove too. The full arm gloves can be found on Amazon under vet or cow insemination gloves. Yes, I know the jokes this can lead to, no bogarting the topic :P

Post Thanks / Like
    The gloves won't do much for the bristle worm spikes unless they're thicker rubber gloves. And for a hobbyist who occasionally puts hands in the water a little won't hurt. Just rinse your hands before putting them in the tank and you'll be fine. It's different for rachel and I where our hands are always in the water...then it becomes a problem. they Do Sell arm length gives online for like $20 or something. I'm sure someone will provide a link. Try not to over think the small things. Instead of getting them out by hand there are plenty of pretty fish that will naturally prey on them
    Coral Xpressions

Post Thanks / Like
    The gloves won't do much for the bristle worm spikes unless they're thicker rubber gloves. And for a hobbyist who occasionally puts hands in the water a little won't hurt. Just rinse your hands before putting them in the tank and you'll be fine. It's different for rachel and I where our hands are always in the water...then it becomes a problem. they Do Sell arm length gives online for like $20 or something. I'm sure someone will provide a link. Try not to over think the small things. Instead of getting them out by hand there are plenty of pretty fish that will naturally prey on them
    I've picked up bristles with just a nitrile glove on and not have it go through. Prefer the tongs though just in case, lol. Jonathan is right though, if you're just briefly sticking them in, a rinse should suffice. Although I like gloves just in case I grab something I can't always see under.

Post Thanks / Like
    I grabbed a handful of bristle worms bare handed once. And it took about 2 days of agonizing pain before the worms finally died lol
    Coral Xpressions

26. Thanks jessicer thanked you for this post