Thread: New 125 stocking ideas

Post Thanks / Like

New 125 stocking ideas

Just finished moving my 55 inhabitants into a 125 long and would like to get everyone's years of experience I helping me make a list of fish to add over time as tank fully matures

Current tank status is 100+pounds of rock from old tank 60 pounds new rock
    Two fish - Medium yellow tang and medium clown both I've had for over a year
    Various inverts cuc
    Corals lps and soft

My goals
    I had my hopes on a blue hippo but my research says that might be a bad idea tank size being one reason
    I want to do my best to an ethical fish keeper and if my tank isn't suitable for any fish I won't do it
    I would like to have a relatively peaceful but active tank (I know the yellow contradicts that )
    Coral is my love but do enjoy fish
    I like having an open top tank so no jumpers
    And no sand sifting gobies that love to make a mess and bury corals

Any suggestions for or against are greatly appreciated thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you considered any of the dwarf angel fish? Maybe some schooling fish like chromis. They're very active and hardy fish. I had a blue hippo in my old 75 and It seemed just fine in my tank. There was plenty of hiding places for it and still a good amount of swimming area. I think it would be ok in a 125.

The new rock you put into your tank... was it cured live rock? You may end up with a mini cycle in your tank because of it. Monitor/test your water frequently. If it does cycle again, you may end up with and algae bloom.
    Jeremy & Katy ~ JayBe & KayBe
    It's not an addiction... it's a cure to extra money plaguing our bank accounts.

3. Thanks xsocali thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I cycled new rock with some old rock new rock was brs reef saver very clean "base rock" waited till all tests were ok for few days before I moved everything else over and everything is doing great

And I thought anything with an angel name was not reef safe

As for the blue everything I read says a 180 or bigger I have a 6 foot tank but still a concern also worried about it getting along with the yellow I already have
    I have considered chromis but also heard they like to jump?

Post Thanks / Like
    I cycled new rock with some old rock new rock was brs reef saver very clean "base rock" waited till all tests were ok for few days before I moved everything else over and everything is doing great

And I thought anything with an angel name was not reef safe

As for the blue everything I read says a 180 or bigger I have a 6 foot tank but still a concern also worried about it getting along with the yellow I already have
    I have considered chromis but also heard they like to jump?

Post Thanks / Like
    The hippo may not get along with your yellow. Yellows are mean little suckers. I had a flame angel, coral beauty and a bicolor angel and never had problems with them. I did keep them well fed though. Most dwarf angels are listed as "with caution" on reef compatibility. I never had chromis jump out of my tank however, I did find a couple in my overflow once or twice. Solved that by placing a piece of egg crate over the overflow. A couple anthias would add some nice color as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    For now I'm trying to avoid anything labeled "with caution" I've had fish in the past that LFS have claim to be a great idea only to find out the truth the hard way so this go around I'm trying to be very cautious what goes into my tank

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing wrong with that at all. What else are you looking for in a fish? I'm scouring a bunch of different sites trying to get an idea of what to put in my 180 once it's up and running and can throw some more ideas your way.

9. Thanks xsocali thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I recommend Ruby red dragonnets, mandarins, molly miller blenny for movement along the bottom, walls, and rocks. Anthias, Caribbean blue reef chromis, Caribbean blue tang (mine gets along fine with the yellow), and bangaii cardinals for movement up and down the water column.

Based on your statements, I'd stay away from pseudochromis, starry blenny, jawfish.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PuD View Post
    Nothing wrong with that at all. What else are you looking for in a fish? I'm scouring a bunch of different sites trying to get an idea of what to put in my 180 once it's up and running and can throw some more ideas your way.
    Color and personality/activity I do like the idea of a small school

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I recommend Ruby red dragonnets, mandarins, molly miller blenny for movement along the bottom, walls, and rocks. Anthias, Caribbean blue reef chromis, Caribbean blue tang (mine gets along fine with the yellow), and bangaii cardinals for movement up and down the water column.

Based on your statements, I'd stay away from pseudochromis, starry blenny, jawfish.
    Thanks for your sugestions I'll look into them

I do have a mandarin on the list but as last to give time for tank to mature to provide a good pod supply
    Arnt jaw fish diggers? And collectors of junk? Had a sand sifting goby and while it was fun to watch it made a horrible mess

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe you say a blue tang get along with your yellow if I do go that rout what size should it be smaller same or bigger then the yellow

Post Thanks / Like
    Just get them both around the same size and introduce them at the same time

Post Thanks / Like
    Already have the yellow had it for year and a half its been just the yellow a clown and a banded sleeper goby for 6 moths then the goby tried to find a new tank on its own. So now I have just clown and yellow tang looks very lonely in this much larger tank

Post Thanks / Like
    You could re do the rock work then add the blue tang

Post Thanks / Like
    The blue Caribbean tang I have is smaller than the yellow and was added after the yellow had been there a long time. I have a blue hippo tang that nobody seems to bother, but he does like to spend most of his time lost to his favorite hideout in a rock with a big montipora on it. Jawfish are diggers. I have two pearly headed jawfish and they seem to have found their spot and don't mess up stuff anymore. The blue dot jawfish I have moves all over the place and drags frags into his burrow. I have to watch it to avoid losing some.
    Don't look here for a comment.