Thread: Where to place the chalice?

Post Thanks / Like

Where to place the chalice?

I have some pretty chalice that I would like to place permanently...but where? There are all happily on the sand bed right now. Do you guys glue them to rocks? How high? Shady or exposed to little/middle light? How do you get the off the plug without major damage?

Just_Tim
    What chalice?

Post Thanks / Like
    I glued my BGM chalice frag plug to a rock, over time it grew well over the plug and has grown attached to the rock, I've had it in all sorts of different lighting from direct blast under 6 inches of water from a 400w halide to lower in the tank and shadowed under a rock ledge, doesn't seem to phase it no matter what I do. Chalice can be kinda tricky to glue down onto rockwork or a plug, I say just let it over grow the plug, you can't even tell it's there anymore
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

4. Thanks OceanView thanked you for this post
    Just_Tim
    I can say that my "nice" chalices are on the sand but i have very intense lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Tim View Post
    What chalice?
    Good question! Lol!
    I have no idea . Names never stick!

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    I took some quick pics for you to show placement, some mounting ideas, growth rates, and coral variations so you can tell us what type of chalice you think you have. Convict chalices will grow in complete shad. Mycdium (sp?) Chalices tend to like medium light, but most chalices enjoy mid flow and low light.

Gonzo 5 color watermelon. 3" above sanbed and glued to rock in direct light. Started with 1 eye 9 months ago. Now 1.5" across with 7 eyes.

Miami hurricane (blue with yellow and oarnge eyes). 2.5" above sandbed and glued to rock in direct light. Started with 3 eyes 9 months ago. Now 3.5" across with 30 eyes.

3 different chalices on a chalice dome. These domes will sit in the sand bed in a tank.

Since you started in your sandbed like you are suppose to, you can gradually move it up a few inches at a time. If you notice a color loss or a lack of PE move it back down.

8. Thanks Joe, OceanView thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Chalices are normally harvested down deep (ish) where they received mainly blue light. That said, intense light will morph them, some for the better, some for the worse. When in doubt shade it out
    Coral Xpressions
    coralxpressions@hotmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...45044298939508

When all else fails, kick it, smack it then throw it out the wndow and start over

10. Thanks OceanView thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I will try to take pics tomorrow! I got distracted with minor emergencies today ugh! Thank you all for the great advice!