Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help With White String Algae/Bacteria

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Need Help With White String Algae/Bacteria

OK... I'm losing this battle, probably, because I don't understand the enemy. I've been struggling with hair algae since I setup my tank. That is partially under control, but I keep getting, what I think are bacteria blooms. This happens every time I change my water. The water also turns cloudy, partially because I'm running PhosGuard and had the flow in my reactor turned up too high (I change the media when I do water changes). Can someone please confirm that this is just bacteria? Should I just let it run its course?

I've tried scrubbing with a toothbrush, but it always comes back within a day or two. I thought it could be dying hair algae at first, but now I'm not convinced. My skimmate is always white and pretty wet, even though I've got it set to skim somewhat dry.

Sorry my post isn't very well organized right now, I'm just getting very frustrated and running out of ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow it looks like it is even in your water column. Not sure if your nutrients are super high or what your water parameters are. What little I could find on WHITE algae, hair or other types leads me to believe it is in a sexual phase and just reproducing at an amazing rate.

Maybe borrow a UV sterilizer from someone and see if running it will clear your water. If it does then either; find the source of your excess nutrients and slowly remove the hair algae by starving it out; or talk to one of the other members and see if they will instruct you how to increase your Magnesium levels using the Tech M method to remove hair algae.

Just my 2 pennies

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply. Nitrates, nitrites, amonia have always been at 0. Phosphates, I'm not so sure. The API test kit reads the same on fresh RODI water as it does on water out of my tank, so I don't think it's accurate enough to get a reading. I knew tech M would work on bryopsis, but I didn't know it would kill hair algae too, I may have to give that a shot.

As for where the nutrients are coming from I'm at a loss. Maybe my sand bed, or plumbing from my return line. I notice that if I turn my return pump off, when it comes back on it shoots out a bunch of debris, such as decaying mysis shrimp, etc. Maybe I should replace the return plumbing and see if that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you doubt your test kits take it to a friend or to a LFS and have someone else test your water for you. (my thoughts are with all that algae the nutrients are in it) Are you getting your water from your own RODI sys or are you buying it? IF from your own when did you last change your cartridges...what readings are you getting on your base RODI water...im stupid stubborn I even check the total dissolved solids in the water I buy from SeaScapes ... well I have Bush check it LOL!

On the sand bed are you disturbing it or leaving it alone?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not convinced it's algae rather than bacteria, what do you think? I get the RODI from a water machine right now. Readings on the water are all 0 based on my test kits.

I don't disturb the sand bed much, but my pistol shrimp goes crazy on it sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    How long has the tank been set up?

Post Thanks / Like
    It was setup for 10+ years, then I bought from someone and moved it to Pueblo from Fountain in November of last year. Did a large water change (about 80%) at that time. Been doing 10% a week since then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at this thread it looks very close to what you have...may not be, but worth a read. The move and setting up of the sys in a new location may have caused the system to start a new cycle.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f9...hi-138223.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the help FireDawg. Things are looking a bit better, definitely not getting any worse. I still haven't made positive identification on whether this is bacteria, or something else.

Some members on another forum noticed that I was using water from a water machine and think that could be the cause. So, I got an RODI and set it up over the weekend. I've only done a 10% change with that water, but planning on doing 20% later today, so we'll see how it goes.

Here are some pics from this morning. Poor quality, but I didn't have time to figure out which filter would work best...

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks so much better haha. Way to hang in there
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see things are looking up! Hang in there it is looking so much better

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks to me like bryopsis went a sexual

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Love all the green

Post Thanks / Like
    Huge change from what the first pics showed. That gives me a lot of inspiration in knowing that I could possibly get my algae under control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone, it's coming along. Will get some updated pics next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the comments everyone. I'm making progress I think. For anyone who's interested, here's what I've been doing differently since posting this about a month ago...

Bought RODI filter to use instead of water machine water
    Reduced feedings to about 15-20% of what I was doing previously
    Scrubbing with toothbrush/picking with tweezers every day
    20% water changes weekly for the first 2 weeks (after blowing off all rocks with powerhead), no water changes since (my best guess was that I was having dyno issues, so stopped water changes to fight it off)
    Reduced whites from 10 hours a day to 6 hours
    Added three very large Mexican turbo snails
    Started changing PhosGuard weekly
    Added carbon to phosphate reactor and started changing out with PhosGuard
    Drastically reduced flow in phosphate reactor
    Adjusted powerheads to eliminate dead spots
    Started vodka dosing again
    Glued down all frags so pistol shrimp would stop using them as building blocks (unrelated)
    Lots of beer drinking, fist shaking, and general shouting of profanities
    Anyway, I'm not quite in the clear yet, but feeling a lot better about things.

And... Just to remind myself of how far I've come, here's another shot of the tank when I picked it up in November.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow man that looks waaaaaaaaayyyyy better now

18. Thanks turbojoe thanked you for this post
    Likes turbojoe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job. That thing was furry.
    Don't look here for a comment.

20. Thanks turbojoe thanked you for this post
    Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice makeover

22. Thanks turbojoe thanked you for this post
    SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work. Good job to get it on track so fast.
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!