Thread: Puffers aren't salt only

Post Thanks / Like

Puffers aren't salt only

Check out the latest edition to the office tank. Dwarf puffers.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    did you find them local or did you have to order them?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get green spot puffers at Walmart and drip them for salt

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to see them at the Walmart in Falcon, but didn't have a fresh water system at the time.

Registered User I_Made_You_Read_This's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    The puffers are brackish. You can put them in freshwater and they will live for only a couple years as apposed to several years.
    A people that values its privileges over its principles, soon loses both -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Made_You_Read_This View Post
    The puffers are brackish. You can put them in freshwater and they will live for only a couple years as apposed to several years.
    Pea puffers are freshwater/brackish, and can't be taken to full saltwater, but the green spots are brackish/marine and can. I saw the pea puffers at a Wal-Mart and really wanted one for my saltwater tank but found out they're fresh/brackish and had to pass, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked these up in Denver actually. I did a bunch of reading up on them first, they are truly freshwater from everything reputable I've found. People have had good luck breeding them in straight freshwater tanks, but have had no luck with thriving pea puffers kept in brackish tanks.

I've got a backup tank to move them to if they start to get aggressive, but so far they've been well behaved, at least for the first month now.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Dwarf_Puffer

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    I have raised DP's for years. They are neat little critters and certainly have personality. Mine used to bite me when I cleaned the glass or messed around with the scape. They are definitely fearless. Breeding them is pretty difficult really. You have to do a bare bottom tank with a ton of java moss and hope you have a good pair. Then siphon the bottom to collect eggs and rear them separately. They are cannibals as well so the babies will eat each other. I feed mine ONLY black worms. Live food only for these guys they can be very picky. Watch out for parasites, a skinny/dark puffer is most likely a dead puffer soon. I had about 30 of these guys in a heavily, HEAVILY planted 30 gallon and they did great but I never had much success breeding them. By far one of my favorite fish though. They are sensitive, but easy to care for. Just use good water and lots of live plants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Three months in and the skinny puffer is nice and fat now, and I find that I'm having to supplement snails in the tank. The puffers have done an amazing job of picking off the majority of snails. Still not nipping fins, hopefully it stays that way.