Thread: Sand sifting star behavior ......

Post Thanks / Like

Sand sifting star behavior ......

i have had a sand sifter in my mixed reef tank for well over a year (was told by a LFS at the time that it was a great idea) I have sense learned that might not have been such a good idea. I have read many articles about how most aquariums can't produce enough micro fauna to sustain them, and they will eventually starve after laying waist to your sand bed. Are these articles being overly dramatic?

Well for the better part of the past year my star has behaved typically. meaning it stayed buried and I rarely saw it out. Until this past month I have noticed it's always out and moving around and never totally buries its self. Could this be a sign it's having trouble finding food?
    Is there anything I could supplement it's food supply with?
    I have also considered moving it into my refugium for a while we're it would have a fresh untouched DSB to enjoy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Just_Tim
    Ive had the same SS that i started with for almost a year. Sometimes its out and mobile and some weeks its buried. I think the opinion that they are less than hardy is an overreaction.

3. Thanks Hydroid thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Tim. My sandsifter is out and about maybe once or twice a week even on the glass, other times I don't see him for weeks at a time.
     photo 1_zps371d357a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup had one for little more than a year... He was always cruising the tank and sometimes the glass

Your Resident Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Just_Tim
    I'd think that if your having to regularly clean your glass then theres probably enough food for the star.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx everyone it just seemed odd to me that for over a year it was buried 90% of the time and now it never buries it's self