Thread: Mollies

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like

Mollies

So I decided to give them a shot. I bought 3 and acclimated fir 5 hours. So far they are still alive. Just moved them into the frag tank. Will keep everyone posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, I have one in my system. It's doing pretty well.

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    1 out of 3 made it through the night. I'm going to look at the steps and try again. Any other fish able to transfer to saltwater?

Post Thanks / Like
    Green spot puffers

Post Thanks / Like
    Puffers!!! Love my little green spots. If Wal-Mart gets in figure 8 puffers I'll probably get one of them as well. We did the same thing, grabbed a few mollies and puffers and did a slow acclimate into saltwater. Worked great, both puffers doing great and the majority of the mollies.

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    How long did you acclimate for?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Any other fish able to transfer to saltwater
    Columbian shark
    Bumblebee goby
    Scat
    Mono
    Most "freshwater" puffers EXCEPT the pea puffers from India

I've also read some people have converted guppies to saltwater.

I've had very good luck doing a 24-hour acclimation. I put the mollies in a 5 gallon bucket, add a small heater, and drip very slowly so that the salinity reaches the tank salinity in approximately 24 hours. I acclimated 5 golden panda mollies a couple of weeks ago and didn't lose any.

Once acclimated I feed them the smallest pellet food I could find and they go absolutely crazy for it.

hth

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat044 View Post
    How long did you acclimate for?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
    We just did a slow drip, so probably around 3-4 hours. Just figured if they made it, they made it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to raise black mollies in full strength salt water and feed them to my anemones. I'd read somewhere about them eating hair algae so I decided to add some to my quarantine tank which has a bit of hair algae. I lowered the salinity a bit and added them straight in and they're doing fine. However, they don't even look at the algae. Hrm, my anemone is looking hungry!
    Last edited by scrumpto; 01-28-2015 at 03:18 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scrumpto View Post
    I used to raise black mollies in full strength salt water and feed them to my anemones. I'd read somewhere about them eating hair algae so I decided to add some to my quarantine tank which has a bit of hair algae. I lowered the salinity a bit and added them straight in and they're doing fine. However, they don't even look at the algae. Hrm, my anemone is looking hungry!
    Interesting. . . I've seen my mollie eat my hair algea. I thought it was a fluke. He also only liked flake for a while but now has started to eat the frozen food I throw in for my other fish.