Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to salt water

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I've been running a canister on my reef for 2 years, corals are happy and growing. I say do what works for you and your budget. Sumps are easier to maintain, but I use my canister just as a bio sponge and chemical housing place. I do know that the canisters break down easy with the corrosiveness of saltwater. Watch your propeller for wear amd the hoses for grime build up.
    +1 thx for adding this Brian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Tim View Post
    I don't personally hate canisters. I prefer sumps for many reasons. Holds all of my equipment I don't want to see, adds oxygen to the display, ease of access to media, clogs, build up. I could probably go further but still my point is I prefer sumps, I don't detest them in the slightest. Like Brian said if something is working for you keep doing that.

I am America and So can You
    +1 to this as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Joe said, there may be nothing wrong with your tank. Could be ich or flukes that took out the tang. Tangs are notorious for being susceptible to ich and other parasites. Being experienced in freshwater, I'm guessing you're familiar with ich? Looks the same in saltwater fish, just a much worse SOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkboy99999 View Post
    Why does every one hate canister filters but they don't hate filter socks . When Canister filter are the same thing . They may get dirty really fast witch is a good thing .

Sent by me
    Canister filters and filter socks are completely different things. If you do wind up with a sump, I'd definitely look into filter socks.

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran a eheim canister on my 37 gallon collumn for the 5 years I had it up. i never had issues ofcourse it was a softy and lps tank but the corals loved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Live rock and sand is a plus. I agree you probably added too much too soon. Patience is a virtue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk