Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planted 125G for the law office where I'm working

Post Thanks / Like
    This week:

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome!!! What did you use for your dirt bottom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rawlins06 View Post
    Looks awesome!!! What did you use for your dirt bottom?
    Toilet paper?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Toilet paper?
    Oh I thought you said "dirty bottom" not dirt bottom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Oh I thought you said "dirty bottom" not dirt bottom
    Lol! Dirt bottom still sounds funny too

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to try out mineralized top soil, so picked up some of the standard Micracle Grow organic, and spent a week or so wetting/drying and removing all the floating wood/filler garbage.

I then capped that with a mix of play sand and black flourite mixed together with some river rocks on top of that.

Hoping the grasses etc. will start to fill in between the rocks over the next few months.

Some of the plants have already grown 4"+ in the last three weeks, so they must like something about the substrate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Photos from the tank today. Tim just dropped off the hood which looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice. I agree tim did a great job with the canopy, finished product is awesome
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job! Tank looks great and the hood looks awesome as well! I got to see it before it was finished and I really like the design of the hood. Very well built!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back from Petco. They were selling a Fluval P24 for $89 instead of $160. I normally wouldn't impulse buy LED lighting, but that deal was too good to pass up. Now to see how it looks!

Just_Tim
    Always a pleasure Erick. I'm only happy if you're happy.

I am America and So can You

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks cool! What's the specs for that tank? Lighting? Filtration? CO2 system? ;-)

I love FW planted tanks. I have a 90G FW planted tank. I always have some algae in it since I don't always fertilize on schedule lol. Only 2 glass panes get scrubbed clean of algae and other 2 have a nice coat of algae on it. My bristle nose apparently is getting fat on that stuff :-P

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JinxXx0085 View Post
    Looks cool! What's the specs for that tank? Lighting? Filtration? CO2 system? ;-)

I love FW planted tanks. I have a 90G FW planted tank. I always have some algae in it since I don't always fertilize on schedule lol. Only 2 glass panes get scrubbed clean of algae and other 2 have a nice coat of algae on it. My bristle nose apparently is getting fat on that stuff :-P
    Up until now the only light has been a 6' BML light with the Black Friday spectrum. However, I just added Fluval P24 and another CurrentUSA light that I had sitting around doing nothing now that there's a hood on top. Time will tell if that's too much light.

For filtration, I'm running a sump underneath it. The tank was originally a saltwater tank so was drilled and ready to go. Hadn't ever done a sump before but I really liked the idea of puling the heater, lines etc. out of the fish tank. It makes the entire thing look much cleaner.

No CO2, and as of now I'm only dosing for K.

The substrate is a dirted bottom with a sand/rock cap, so in theory the soil is going to be providing the rest of the micro nutrients needed.

Since the tank is viewed from both the front and back (for the mid section) I've been cleaning the glass pretty regularly. Found a few misc. strands of hair algae trying to take hold, but they're removed on sight.

For fish I've only got some neon and black tetras, half a dozen corries, 4 bristlenose and a otto.

I've got some purebred Enlders arriving from AdrianHD/Swamriveraquatics which I'm hoping will do well in the tank. Now I just need to pick up some surface cover plants for the fry.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not heard of BML so I googled it. Looks amazing. I like sumps but don't use one though.
    I sure will be following this thread to see how your system work out long term. I've read that there's some people who runs sump for filtration and also injects CO2 as well and the plants flourished for them. I wish I saved the information regarding that system. Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on what I've read, I should be able to set up a pretty simple yeast/sugar reactor and then just pipe that to the sump return intake. That would do a decent job of mixing up the CO2 before going back into the tank. I've also started to find baby Endlers in the sump, so I'm going to have to swap out the media in the middle section to something that is easier to move out of the way but still floats so I can fish them out periodically.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done the diy CO2 using yeast and sugar method. It was too much of hassle for me. I ended up going pressurized CO2 method and never looked back. Much much much easier for me!
    That's kinda funny about Endlers ending up in the sump. Hope you'll figure out a best way to keep the babies from getting chopped up by the pump in the sump. All I can think of is filter socks... but I don't know how the fry would fare in there?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll poke around, see if I can find some fine black mesh I can put on the outside, but really I should probably just work on making the sump habitable.

Picked up some rams yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you've got a pair! I haven't kept rams yet. I have 2 pairs of angelfish in the 90G that lays eggs nearly regularly. They pretty much stay on their sides. The males bicker more often when they are getting ready to lay eggs.

Do you have a picture of your sump?

Post Thanks / Like
    Part of the sump here, other portion is mainly filled with filter floss.

Album below, pulled a few specific pics out.

The Neons still doing well.

Full tank shot today.

Rams again.

Amano shrimp cleaning the sand.

Last edited by esmith; 02-26-2015 at 02:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are two freshwater puffers in the tank now. So far they've been in there a week and no nipped fins.

People have had mixed luck with putting pea/dwarf puffers in tanks. This tank is pretty large though, has tons of plants to break up sight lines, and enough snails they'll never run out of food at the rate they're working.

The puffers are fun to watch, they look like little torpedoes when they swim.