Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Planted 125G for the law office where I'm working

Post Thanks / Like

Planted 125G for the law office where I'm working

I got the OK to set up a tank here at the office.

Decided to go the dirted/planted route, although this was my first attempt. The water is a bit hazy still, but much better than it was a few days ago.

If anyone in the CO Springs area has freshwater plants they'd be willing to part with at a decent price, let me know. Can't have too many plants.

Current photo: About 2.5 months in.

(5 weeks in)

(3 weeks in)

Progression:

Initial fill.

24 hours in.

48 hours, water is clearing up.

View from the conference room, the middle section of the tank is viewable both front and back sides.
    Last edited by esmith; 03-17-2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: updated photo

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm wanting to take down my fresh water tank. I have two koi angels, 3 I think otocinclus cats and 2 female pea**** gudgeons. I would give you my plants but algae keeps running amuck and I'm tired of trying to fight it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rawlins06 View Post
    I'm wanting to take down my fresh water tank. I have two koi angels, 3 I think otocinclus cats and 2 female pea**** gudgeons. I would give you my plants but algae keeps running amuck and I'm tired of trying to fight it.
    good call, freshwater is meh when compared to saltwater!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by esmith View Post
    I got the OK to set up a tank here at the office.

Decided to go the dirted/planted route, although this was my first attempt. The water is a bit hazy still, but much better than it was a few days ago.

If anyone in the CO Springs area has freshwater plants they'd be willing to part with at a decent price, let me know. Can't have too many plants.

Initial fill.

24 hours in.

48 hours, water is clearing up.

View from the conference room, the middle section of the tank is viewable both front and back sides.
    Although I am biased to saltwater, this looks REALLY REALLY good! The branches and the way you have it scaped is awesome! I like how you used the dirty/sand under the larger river rock so it really does look like a riverbed. Makes it look very realistic to in the wild IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!

This is the 125G I picked up from your garage actually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol I still love a good freshwater planted tank. I don't know why I have such an issue here. Maybe its because of where I got my plants. Man now I want to tear it down and try again but only using the plants that come in those tubes. I do need to rehome my angels, they are getting too big for my tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Water has just started to really clear up. Probably be another week before it's where I'm truly happy with it.

Just_Tim
    Looking very nice. I'd say go pick up more plants at valley but the selection has been terrible for a while now.

I am America and So can You

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't buy from Valley. I've seen cyno and different types of hair algae in their tanks. They just don't seem to care enough to properly clean their place up and would rather puff on vapes, or whatever they are called, all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any good freshwater plant vendors in CO Springs? So far I haven't walked into any place and been wowed. I'm hoping the plants will start to grow in over the next few months. I think I want more anubius on the drift wood as well. I'd read really mixed reviews of Valley, and hadn't actually gone into their place yet.

Today I was up in Denver and happened to stop by the Fish Den. Their fish seemed generally healthy, and I was happy to see that each tank appeared to have a self-contained filtration setup. Slowly stocking up the tank, I still haven't measured any ammonia or nitrate/nitrite in the tank yet.

Just_Tim
    Where have you been in the springs? And are you going to run co2?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any good freshwater plant vendors in CO Springs? So far I haven't walked into any place and been wowed. I'm hoping the plants will start to grow in over the next few months. I think I want more anubius on the drift wood as well. I'd read really mixed reviews of Valley, and hadn't actually gone into their place yet.

Today I was up in Denver and happened to stop by the Fish Den. Their fish seemed generally healthy, and I was happy to see that each tank appeared to have a self-contained filtration setup. Slowly stocking up the tank, I still haven't measured any ammonia or nitrate/nitrite in the tank yet.
    Fishden plants have bunch of snails just fyi!!

Post Thanks / Like
    No CO2 in the tank, the idea will be to have it be as low tech as possible and require minimal maintenance.

Seascape Aquatics: Liked their tanks and fish. Everything appeared healthy and happy. Not as much selection as I'd want, even if the entire store were devoted to freshwater.

edit: Actually Valley Pets A Fishy Business: Some tanks looked great, some had clearly sick fish. Don't think I'd be back.

I haven't been to Tropical Treasures yet.

Checked out some of the chains, they were OK but nothing fantastic.
    Last edited by esmith; 02-04-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: correction.

Post Thanks / Like
    No CO2 in the tank, the idea will be to have it be as low tech as possible and require minimal maintenance.

Seascape Aquatics: Liked their tanks and fish. Everything appeared healthy and happy. Not as much selection as I'd want, even if the entire store were devoted to freshwater.

A Fishy Business: Some tanks looked great, some had clearly sick fish. Don't think I'd be back.

I haven't been to Tropical Treasures yet.

Checked out some of the chains, they were OK but nothing fantastic.
    where is Fishy Business? I thought they went out of business a year or two ago?

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    where is Fishy Business? I thought they went out of business a year or two ago?
    They did. Most of their stuff went to Tropical Treasures.
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Post Thanks / Like
    Must have been Valley Pets then. I re-checked my GPS's saved coordinates.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not know fishy business was a fish store .

Sent by me

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Tropical Treasures worth stopping by to check out?

Just_Tim
    Is Tropical Treasures worth stopping by to check out?
    He has large quantities of about three plants. Otherwise, it helps to know what you're looking for when venturing there as the organization is lacking but the owner is super helpful and knowledgable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the tank about 10 days later. Getting some decent growth already on the majority of plants.