Thread: 24gal birthday build

Post Thanks / Like

24gal birthday build

So Sweat sent a pm yesterday, that his 24 gallon was still available, and I since yesterday was my birthday, I decided to do the adult thing and buy myself a present. I plan on making this a predominant NPS tank. And after reading his issues with fish, I will not be adding the domino clownfish first, and as always quarantine.
    New Tank set up.jpg

New tank.jpg

Still got to do some rockscaping

2. Likes ShankStripedLyretail liked this post
    SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice. Following along...
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see its working for you. Following along

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice was wondering who picked this up. Awesome tanks. Have fun with this build, looking forward to it

Prepare Yourself! http://tinyurl.com/nsxj9k3
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

SCMAS Treasurer

Post Thanks / Like
    Woohoo....happy birthday but the way

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I've got the ammonia process started, it's hanging steady at 1 ppm. I forgot the joy of waiting out the cycle.

But today, I actually saw a pod hitching a ride on one lone snail that's in the tank. I was pretty surprised.

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by labinc02 View Post
    Well I've got the ammonia process started, it's hanging steady at 1 ppm. I forgot the joy of waiting out the cycle.

But today, I actually saw a pod hitching a ride on one lone snail that's in the tank. I was pretty surprised.
    I forgot to tell you that there might be snails and hermits in the tank.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat044 View Post
    I forgot to tell you that there might be snails and hermits in the tank.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
    I was more surprised by the pod than the snail. But I really shouldn't have been you said that it was just running 20 minutes before I picked it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay Ammonia cycle is pretty much over, and I've started to get small patches of cyano. For now I'm not too worried since there's a ton of little dead pods floating around the tank, I'm hoping that a good WC clears it up. And since this is going to be mostly NPS, I'm thinking the lack of light will clear it up. Here's my plan for stocking and set up, please feel free to chime in with ideas.

Adding a DIY magnetic rock ledge to create a good bit of shade in the tank.

Top of the ledge Cyphastrea corals, and the rest of the tank in the shade will be NPS corals.

Fish

Pair of Clowns
    Purple Firefish Goby
    Mandarin or Scooter (maybe)

If I get a Mandarin or the Scooter I'm going to have to add a fuge, but even then is a 24 gallon going to be big enough for one?

Post Thanks / Like

Finally moving along again on this one

Currently the tank is seeding rock for the 120. But tomorrow I am supposed to get my Marco's shelf rock in and I'm go to start working on creating some shade. I've got a few Gorgonian, a dendro, and orange sun coral sitting in QT. I'll post pictures tomorrow. The Gorgonian's are already getting some polyp extension. Not sure if the dendro is going to make it through QT.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    This is exciting. Everything sounds great. If your dendro doesn't make it. Give me a call. I have a small frag or two of them.

I dont see why you would need a fuge for pods. Just seed your dt well from the start and check the corners of tour tank every week to ensure your population doesnt dwindle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gah! and of course the black sun coral is available for sale when I've already got my shipment. Oh well maybe next go around. Here are some of the better photos. 20150530_132303.jpg

14. Likes Sa$$y, statics' wife liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

16. Likes Sa$$y, statics' wife liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So I've stopped on this tank for a bit. There'a major hair algae bloom and I'm noticing a lot of temperature spikes. During the day the tank runs 76, and then at night it goes up to 84. The hair algae I'm not too concerned with. I can skim and increase water changes to get rid of that. Lights aren't an issue because this is an NPS tank, I don't need them.

I'm not sure what to do with the temperature swings. I've already replaced the heater and I still get the evening swing. I've tried running with no heater, and then I get a temperature range of 72-84.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by labinc02 View Post
    So I've stopped on this tank for a bit. There'a major hair algae bloom and I'm noticing a lot of temperature spikes. During the day the tank runs 76, and then at night it goes up to 84. The hair algae I'm not too concerned with. I can skim and increase water changes to get rid of that. Lights aren't an issue because this is an NPS tank, I don't need them.

I'm not sure what to do with the temperature swings. I've already replaced the heater and I still get the evening swing. I've tried running with no heater, and then I get a temperature range of 72-84.
    I had terrible issues with a biocube and temps. My best suggestion is to get a small chiller and switch to LED lights in the hood. I was able to run my tank at 78 at night and 82 during the day with no heater and i would throw ice packs in the pack area when I left for work. This was in the middle of winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/for/5289698977.html

use RO tube and coil it and run the RO tube in your tank so that through this type of chiller you are running RO water. Then put your heater in and it should balance it all out.

below is a great example of how a heat exchanger works. You can use hotwater to heat the tank or cold water to cool the tank. Basically you are trying to make the water cool enough to allow the heater to bring it up to temp and hold it there.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2232513

Also you could get super fancy with it and get a RANCO dual temp controller which are not very expensive like $50. It will use the chiller when its needed to bring temp down and it will use the heater to bring temp up when needed. It will save on energy cost.
    Last edited by Levi; 11-23-2015 at 11:48 AM.