Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berghia Nudibranchs

Post Thanks / Like

Berghia Nudibranchs

Anybody have some they could share or pass on or now where to get them at a reasonable price? Apparently these little guys are the way to go to get rid of aptasia pest.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to say Aquatic Arts had some. Check with Cris.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Armstrong View Post
    Anybody have some they could share or pass on or now where to get them at a reasonable price? Apparently these little guys are the way to go to get rid of aptasia pest.
    We didn't have good luck with them. I would recommend peppermint shrimp if your tank is shrimp friendly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if my tank is or not. What else would the shrimp pick on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Most everything I read says they are reef safe. Some people think they might be picking on stuff but they don't know

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Armstrong View Post
    I don't know if my tank is or not. What else would the shrimp pick on?
    not that the shrimp would pick on but fish that would eat the shrimp. peps have been known to take food out of LPS though.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    The peppermints from CoralX don't pick on anything in my experience, it's more if you have things that will eat them. They work great in two of my tanks, but the third has a trigger and an eel that snack on the shrimp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mrs wages pickling lime mixed into a thick paste works for all sizes of aiptasia, majano, and anything else you'd like to kill. I lost my syrenge I used in the past to apply it so as of late I just use a popcicle stick and shut off all flow inn the tank. Peps work great for smaller ones for sure. They eradicated aiptasia in our last set up.
    ......I am fluent in English, jibberish, smartass, drunken, auto spell, doofus, sarcastic, auto correct and dumb. It's know it all I have trouble with....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greaseballpaul View Post
    Mrs wages pickling lime mixed into a thick paste works for all sizes of aiptasia, majano, and anything else you'd like to kill. I lost my syrenge I used in the past to apply it so as of late I just use a popcicle stick and shut off all flow inn the tank. Peps work great for smaller ones for sure. They eradicated aiptasia in our last set up.
    I went to walmart on woodmen and powers and picked some up tonight. I also went to the pharmacy and they gave me two 10 ml syringes for free with no needle. I mixed it up and it really does do some serious damage to aiptasia! Hoping I didn't kill any other corals in my tank in the process. I will do a water change tomorrow morning most likely as I have 9 nems in the tank and I'm not sure the effect this is going to have on them but 4 of them are $400 nems so i can't afford to lose them.

sps addict

Post Thanks / Like
    Levi fyi I did 2 full syringes at once in the jbj28 with a rainbow nem in there. The nem shrunk up a bit but it didn't hurt it. Didn't bother any of the corals either. Left the flow off for about an hour and I did a 20% wc shortly after flow came on just to be safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Romebaby View Post
    Levi fyi I did 2 full syringes at once in the jbj28 with a rainbow nem in there. The nem shrunk up a bit but it didn't hurt it. Didn't bother any of the corals either. Left the flow off for about an hour and I did a 20% wc shortly after flow came on just to be safe.
    That makes me feel way better. I did 1/3 of a syringe in the 40g.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah this stuff is just calcium. Its the same active ingredient as kalkwasser. As long as you don't directly apply it to your corals its actually good to have in your h2o. I'll have to hit the pharmacy for some new "applicators".

....Sharks with frickin lasers.... aiptasia lasers.
    ......I am fluent in English, jibberish, smartass, drunken, auto spell, doofus, sarcastic, auto correct and dumb. It's know it all I have trouble with....

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried the nudibranches and they are so small they are almost hard to see. I saw them when I put them in the tank and never again. I got 2 peps from CoralX and still have them and haven't seen 1 aptasia in my tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    peps are good but keep in mind they may attack other nems you have in the tank. Case in point is all the peps that were in JJ's nem tank, at night with blues on you can see their bellys glowing from the pieces of anemone they ate. No aiptasia but when they are not overly fed and have no aiptasia, they go for anything else they will eat. If you feed them you run the risk of them not wanting to eat aiptasia anymore in lieu of fish food.

Post Thanks / Like
    also I checked on all the frag plugs I put the paste pickling lime on and the aiptasia are destroyed and the frags are happy. All the nems in my tank are happy as well so no ill effects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good read. A little over the top (over my head in some instances) but there is a lot of good info. I knew that with kalkwasser or lime water, whatever, a separate dose of alk is not required. Now I know why.

The concerns with overdosing, at least in my experience, are only valid concerns when dosing with dissolved lime (meaning a h2o suspended solution). With the paste used to kill aiptasia, the general tendency of it is to remain for the most part in a glob where it is originally placed. I have seen the globs receed over time in the past but oddly enough it has happened only when I slack off on dosing cal and alk. Nature is amazing....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    peps are good but keep in mind they may attack other nems you have in the tank. Case in point is all the peps that were in JJ's nem tank, at night with blues on you can see their bellys glowing from the pieces of anemone they ate. No aiptasia but when they are not overly fed and have no aiptasia, they go for anything else they will eat. If you feed them you run the risk of them not wanting to eat aiptasia anymore in lieu of fish food.
    My .02 on this: my scarlet cleaner shrimp had something glowing in his belly the other night. Shrimp in general being scavengers must eat whatever they can find if they get good and hungry. He is still alive so it may not have been pieces of Nems but when I saw it I was skeptical. Needless to say he is trained now to eat fish food from my hand. Its pretty cool other than when I reach in the tank to do anything at all now, I have a little hitch hiker the whole time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool side effect of the Mrs wages lime, all my bristle worms floated to top and died. Snails are fine, crabs are fine, nems and corals are fine but I have a ton of dead bristle worms, was craziest thing I have ever seen. Mass dying of bristle worms.

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to try this now just to see all them die

Sent by me