Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY LEDs

Post Thanks / Like
    I just placed an order for 2 complete kits: 5-channel 100W LED chip with custom spectrum, drivers, wireless remotes, heat sink, fan, and lens. $146 each, including shipping. I'm psyched!
    Northernmost SPS aquarium in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceOps View Post
    I just placed an order for 2 complete kits: 5-channel 100W LED chip with custom spectrum, drivers, wireless remotes, heat sink, fan, and lens. $146 each, including shipping. I'm psyched!
    awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see exactly what you ordered, the build process, finished result and then hear how you like them. Please keep us updated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Each LED has 50 x 2W emitters. The 5 channels are divided as follows:

Channel 1:

Wavelength Quantity
    390nm 3
    400nm 4
    410nm 3

Channel 2:
    Wavelength Quantity
    410nm 2
    420nm 6
    430nm 2

Channel 3:
    Wavelength Quantity
    430nm 4
    440nm 6

Channel 4:
    450nm 5
    460nm 5

Channel 5:
    470nm 4
    490nm 3
    500nm 3

Post Thanks / Like
    They showed up yesterday. Way cool. I just got around to testing them this morning. OMG!!! I tested each of the five LED circuits individually and most of them blinded me, except for the very short wavelength circuit. I can definitely see the different colors. I'll post pictures later today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, after an hour the first LED had two circuits smoke. The second crapped out after 6 hours. I have a feeling these could be over-driven 50W chips. Too bad, too. I think Felix may be crying over this one. We'll see how good his customer service is now.

Off to Colorado tonight on the red eye.

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad about the LED's.
    Have a safe flight..
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Post Thanks / Like
    A calculatedb risk

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope dudes customer service treats you right at least. It's always upsetting getting a new toy that doesn't function as advertised

We The Sheeple
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a small business. The owner is customer service. He's been good to me in the past though

Post Thanks / Like
    This may be too much for him financially. Hard to say. Now I'm going to be scrambling to come up with something suitable for the corals I will be bringing back this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, after an hour the first LED had two circuits smoke. The second crapped out after 6 hours. I have a feeling these could be over-driven 50W chips. Too bad, too. I think Felix may be crying over this one. We'll see how good his customer service is now.

Off to Colorado tonight on the red eye.
    so the leds just smoked out? it would make more sense that there was not adequate heat disappation and the heat is what caused the melt down on the leds or that the drivers themselves failed, but not the leds. I have worked with a wide variety of chinese cheap leds and its always been the driver that goes, not the leds themselves. This is even more so with multiple chips going "bad" that it was user error not component failure that leds to the chips going bad.

Food for thought

Post Thanks / Like
    So have I. If the labels on the drivers are correct they are driving at the low end of the current rating. The heat sinks are very large with cooling fan. No matter what, they're running too hot, hence the smoke and self destruction.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be running around Denver a little bit today, hopefully able to find some kind of emergency lighting until I can figure out what I want to do with LEDs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'VE yet to see a Chinese made LED system that isn't over driven. When I made my first DIY LED system I made sure to under drive them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'VE yet to see a Chinese made LED system that isn't over driven. When I made my first DIY LED system I made sure to under drive them.

Actually every Chinese led fixture out on the market is UNDER driven not over. 3w leds running at around 2.2w or 530 ma instead of the 700mA they are rated at. If it was smoking then the heat was not being taken by the heatsink. Make sure to use a good thermal conductor. I use artic silver between the leds and the heatainks. Also make sure you remove any plastic film. The 100w full spectrum chips I bought had a thin plastic film on the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any 2 watt LED can be run at 3 watts provided adequate cooling. It's no different than overclocking a CPU. Cool it enough and you can run it way past what its rated for. Aliexpress sellers, in my experience, pretty much don't know what they're talking about, or don't care that they are lying. They don't have the consumer protection laws. Look closely at a lot of the LED products and you will see multiple conflicting specifications for the same product.

My LED had blue plastic over the top that I already removed , nothing on the bottom. I was already using silver solder. It was mounted on the heat sink the seller-provided, to include a fan. Either the LED chip or the drivers or poorly designed.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's why I said calculated risk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any 2 watt LED can be run at 3 watts provided adequate cooling. It's no different than overclocking a CPU. Cool it enough and you can run it way past what its rated for. Aliexpress sellers, in my experience, pretty much don't know what they're talking about, or don't care that they are lying. They don't have the consumer protection laws. Look closely at a lot of the LED products and you will see multiple conflicting specifications for the same product.

My LED had blue plastic over the top that I already removed , nothing on the bottom. I was already using silver solder. It was mounted on the heat sink the seller-provided, to include a fan. Either the LED chip or the drivers or poorly designed.

Solver solder to connect the wires or silver paste to act as a thermal conduit from led to heatsink? Big difference. Also send a link to what you bought and I'd be wiling to bet that the drivers are under driving the chip if it was a kit. If you bought the drivers seperate you could have purchased the wrong ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Silver solder for connections and Silver thermal paste for the heatsink. It was the drivers they furnished with the kit