Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY LEDs

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad I haven't ordered yet. I found a May 2014 article by Dana Riddle on Advanced Aquarist, Photosynthetic Efficiencies of LEDs: Results of Short Term Exposure to LED Lights. He may be backing off just a bit on the no-red stance, but there's still good evidence that too much red (whatever that may be) can be detrimental to growth. I posted a response to the article and also emailed him.

I'm coming up with my spectral requirements tonight. His article above provides some good data to use as a basis for my wavelength selection.

Auggie and I will be in Kona Thanksgiving week and will try to get together with him if he's available. Should be some great discussion.

Northernmost SPS aquarium in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    So based on this article, and the Dec 2008 article, The Best Lamp Is..., and his bleaching findings in his LED experiments (Nov 2003) Effects Of Narrow Bandwidth Light Sources On Coral Host And Zooxanthellae Pigments, it seems there's a lot to be determined. In the latest article, he found that red light was most efficient in photosynthesis. Interesting... So it looks like we need to learn how much red is too much.

I went back and re-read The Best Lamp Is... and found that the only coral used in the experiment was harvested at 14 meters. Since 99% of all red light is absorbed within the first 10 meters, that may be why he found that red light was detrimental to the acropora he used.

The experiment in the http://jeb.biologists.org/content/213/23/4084.full%29 link above may explain why he found that red light was detrimental to the coral he used. The study found that, not only did deep and shallow water corals have different spectral preferences (deep water corals preferred blue, while shallow water corals preferred full spectrum), but that deeper colonies actually absorbed higher energy wavelengths than the shallow colonies. It's possible that if he had done his experiments with both shallow and deep water corals he'd have come to different conclusions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the last few years I've done a lot of research into DIY Led's but what's always stopped me is that the cost always seems to come out too high for what you get. So you do all this work only to get something not as good as a commercial product for a price higher than what it should be (in my opinion) which generally looks no where as good as a commercial product. Add to that the fact that resale value is going to be next to nothing compared to a commercial product and it stops me in my tracks every time.

The biggest issue for me is that I've yet to find quality DIY enclosures that look good. If I could find them, they'd have to again be a reasonable prices which makes DIY a better choice than commercial.

Two chips which have caught my eye which I'd like to experiment with are these:
    http://www.rapidled.com/borealis-luxeon-z-array-37-led/

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/cree-lumi...nnel-cree-led/

With regard to color temperature, I've always been a firm believer in full spectrum with the red and blues for the photosynthesis and the green's for me. Too much red spectrum might inhibit grown in some corals (I personally wouldn't know) but lack of it is also going to hurt growth in some corals so I rather provide it albeit in lesser quantities than blue.

With regard to cooling these smaller arrays, the computer industry has been cooling CPU's for generations and has become incredible adept at it for very low prices. I've yet to see anything which matches it in the LED field so that would be a fun part of DIY.

Anyone know of any good enclosures which look great but aren't outrageously expensive as I want the end product to look professional.

Also, anyone have experience with either of these LED's?

Post Thanks / Like
    My hood has always been my enclosure. I just don't like the look of light fixtures exposed to the room. Unsightly. A bare heat sink in a hood with an open top is well concealed and allows the best heat dissipation without fans. Closely spaced LEDs might need fans.

I had the opposite experience regarding cost. DIY LEDs not only gave me the color selection I wanted, but were cheap.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by SpaceOps; 10-06-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very strange. I was getting ready to order 6 custom bulbs and it says they're not available anymore. Waiting for Felix to respond. Bummer. I'll see what else is out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    The response was that he's on vacation. He removed all of his products until he gets back. I guess they have shipping timelines to meet, so in order to avoid negative feedback they take the storefront down until they return. Gotta love the Chinese.

So this thread started out as DIY, but it quickly became a non-DIY lighting thread. Mods, can you relocate this thread to lighting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Whew. The store is open again. Still torn between the custom LED screw-in bulb units or a couple of the 5-channel 100W DIY unit with remote. He has one screw-in unit with remote, but the cost is double.

Damn, Doyle, I could sure use a couple of those heat sinks I sold to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceOps View Post
    Whew. The store is open again. Still torn between the custom LED screw-in bulb units or a couple of the 5-channel 100W DIY unit with remote. He has one screw-in unit with remote, but the cost is double.

Damn, Doyle, I could sure use a couple of those heat sinks I sold to you.
    I would think the screw in bulb ones would be easier to gooseneck with a clean look as opposed to really trying to hide all of the wires etc from a 5 channel diy 100w chip etc

Post Thanks / Like
    If u find the right gooseneck you can hide the wires on the inside of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
     photo 1_zps371d357a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    True, if I don't use a hood. I'm partial to having a hood, though. It just makes the tank look nicer, and it can keep the carpet surfing to a minimum.

He said he'd give me the best deal possible on whatever I choose. I'd prefer the screw-in units with 5-channel remotes, but the cost is kind of high. We'll see what kind of deal I can get. I'm always a little skeptical about untested technology. The DIY kit at least allows me to swap out bad parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    True, if I don't use a hood. I'm partial to having a hood, though. It just makes the tank look nicer, and it can keep the carpet surfing to a minimum.

He said he'd give me the best deal possible on whatever I choose. I'd prefer the screw-in units with 5-channel remotes, but the cost is kind of high. We'll see what kind of deal I can get. I'm always a little skeptical about untested technology. The DIY kit at least allows me to swap out bad parts.
    link to the one you are talking about?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    link to the one you are talking about?
    89Delta may be able to get you a better deal, he is like the LED king of the club as far as vendors go when it comes to ordering or making custom stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate it, but he can't help me in Alaska. Most of the prefabs are either overpriced or overdriven IMHO. That's why I went DIY in the first place. I like to know exactly what I'm paying for.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate it, but he can't help me in Alaska. Most of the prefabs are either overpriced or overdriven IMHO. That's why I went DIY in the first place. I like to know exactly what I'm paying for.
    Custom not prefab but to each their own. I assure you I know each and every part I get from 89Delta and I am given any option available on the Internet to swap out if I don't like a part. Good luck with your lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Custom not prefab but to each their own. I assure you I know each and every part I get from 89Delta and I am given any option available on the Internet to swap out if I don't like a part. Good luck with your lights.
    I'm not criticizing the choices anyone else has made. I just like the satisfaction I get when I design and actually build my own--and it works as well or better than the commercial units. My last DIY ran so cool you could touch the LEDs and barely feel any heat. A lot of people didn't think an old Left Turn Only street sign would work as a heat sink. It was my proof-of-concept.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah its amazing what metal can do. The it2060 I just got has an aluminum board about as thick as a street sign and that's the only heatsink. Two fans run to blow air over it.

Post Thanks / Like
    89Delta custom designed my pcb driver boards for the 5 channel led chips I was going to do a build with. I was able to set it up with an arduino to controll the lighting effects etc.

Great Mahjong: Classic Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not criticizing the choices anyone else has made. I just like the satisfaction I get when I design and actually build my own--and it works as well or better than the commercial units. My last DIY ran so cool you could touch the LEDs and barely feel any heat. A lot of people didn't think an old Left Turn Only street sign would work as a heat sink. It was my proof-of-concept.
    Yup the Department of Street Maintenance of Colorado Springs is still wondering what happened to the left turn sign board that went missing a few years ago....lol

19. Likes Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xsocali View Post
    Yup the Department of Street Maintenance of Colorado Springs is still wondering what happened to the left turn sign board that went missing a few years ago....lol
    Funny.

Post Thanks / Like
    So here's what I requested. It's the DIY kit for a 100W custom spectrum LED with 5-channel wireless remote control. You'll notice the absence of white, cyan, red and UV. I'll DIY those separately.

* 100W 5.1 Lumia chip
    * 2.4g wireless RF remote control for 5 channels
    * 5 LED drivers
    * Heat sink
    * Cooling fan
    * Cooling fan driver
    * 90 degree lens
    * All pieces necessary to mount the lens, LED and fan

Channel 1:
    Wavelength Quantity
    390nm 3
    400nm 4
    410nm 3

Channel 2:
    Wavelength Quantity
    410nm 2
    420nm 6
    430nm 2

Channel 3:
    Wavelength Quantity
    430nm 4
    440nm 6

Channel 4:
    450nm 5
    460nm 5

Channel 5:
    470nm 4
    490nm 3
    500nm 3

The base kit is here: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...600371018.html
    The heat sink, fan, lens, etc are here: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...774151702.html

I combined the photosynthetic response curve between (500nm and 400nm) with the fluorescent excitation wavelengths shown here. I can excite a couple of extra fluorescent pigments by adding several 500-520nm and a couple of 380-390nm LEDs.

Last edited by SpaceOps; 10-06-2014 at 04:36 PM.

22. Likes Joe liked this post