Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY LEDs

Post Thanks / Like

DIY LEDs

Has anyone tried the new customizable LED chips yet? They have 100 emitters on a single die, can be manufactured as single-channel and 5-channel versions, and you can choose any combination of wavelengths from 365nm to 730nm, plus white, for $51 each (sold in pairs only), plus $28 UPS or FedEx. I think I'll be ordering several different combinations to see how they work. They also have 100W versions for $165 per pair plus shipping and 50W 450nm blues for $26 each plus shipping. I bought from this guy twice before and was satisfied with the results (except for his crap LED drivers).

I'm going to contact him to see what he recommends for a 5-channel driver, and if they're dimmable. I think 5-channel would be best so I can control the whites, warm colors, blues, violets and UV (if I get them) separately.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...551026888.html

Doyle, any comments?
    Northernmost SPS aquarium in the US.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate reading your posts. Everytime I read something you write I end up researching for two weeks. Stop making me feel stupid. Lol

sent from FBI van #43

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry. What did I say that was confusing? I'd be glad to explain more clearly.

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to look at the page read the specs. The only imediate downfall I would see is the small point of origin for the light. This would effect the depth of field appearance in the tank. It shouldn't effect the corals in any negative manor.
    I just rebuild my led fixture to the following spectrums, the % is of the total together.
    15000k 2%
    8000k 12%
    3000k 10%
    460nm 18%
    445nm 28%
    420nm 10%
    410nm 10%
    395nm 10%

This combo has a slight indigo tint to the tank. I have also noticed that the corals have responded with polyp extension and color. Going back to your presentation on coral fluorescent responce to the specific wavelentghs. Made me decide on these colors. I took the percentages from the only commercial LED fixture that I truly believed in for growth and color.
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by static reef View Post
    I hate reading your posts. Everytime I read something you write I end up researching for two weeks. Stop making me feel stupid. Lol

sent from FBI van #43
    Ok, I'll start over.

Everybody's familiar with single-emitter LEDs. Those are the LEDs with just one emitter that emits one kind of light, such as blue, green, white, etc. These individual emitters are referred to as "dies." For a while now, they've been able to construct single LEDs with multiple dies. If you look at the picture in the link above, you'll see an LED with 100 dies in 10 rows and 10 columns. They can actually customize the individual dies to emit the colors (wavelengths) you specify to the manufacturer. For example, you can get 50 in blue and 50 in cool white, or 10 each of 10 different colors, etc.

They can also set the LEDs up with 5 separate channels. In this case, a channel is nothing more than a group of dies that are on their own circuit. That means you can control groups of 20 dies separately from the rest. So if you have them create 1 channel in UV (400nm), the second channel in violet and royal blue, the third in cyan, the fourth in green, yellow and red, and the fifth in white and cool white, you can control each separately to get the visual or growth results you like by either turning individual groups off, or dimming each group independently.

So the only difference between these LEDs and 100 separate LEDs is that these are in a single unit. Much less soldering than for 100 individual LEDs. The downside is that they probably produce enough heat that you'll need a really good heat sink and maybe a fan, and a driver that can handle the load of a single 50W LED, or five 10 watt LEDs.

So bottom line, they can build a single LED "chip" with 100 individual light emitters using any combination of colors you want.

6. Thanks ddwmedic thanked you for this post
    Likes ddwmedic liked this post
    SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    They are a pretty decent size too. I guess they would have to be to house that many emitters. The colors available are staggering. I may have to get a couple to do some testing. I didn't see lenses for them. Did I miss that or do you know of any?
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't see any either, but I see he also sells these (lens included).
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...844331108.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Search Aliexpress for "LED lens" and they show up in the results. 44mm glass lenses, bracket, etc. Here's one with good pics of what's included.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/90-12...904822745.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I see if you ask for a custom LED chip it may take a month before they ship.

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    I just found those too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Doyle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really liking this kit, but I'd want to have them build a custom LED chip. I don't like the color selection, especially the red. I'll get with him and ask what he can do.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...600371018.html

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the controller for it. Looking at his pictures. The pic of my tank I sent to Old Felix is still being passed around.

Doyle

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    I was complimenating your knowledge is all

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    But that IS Felix! He uses my fluorescent acan pic too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I wasn't sure.

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't even realize that. His store has changes a bit over the years. I remember your acan pic. It was crazy awesome.

Doyle

Post Thanks / Like
    The lumina 5.2 are nice chips and the only issue I found was the number of required drivers. The optics available are something to look into.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm divided on whether to get the ready-made bulbs or getting the custom 5-channel chips with the driver and dimmer kit. Time is an issue. I have a 150 that I need to drill and install overflows in. I also have a 110 I'm picking up next weekend and it comes with halides, which you know I'm against. Electricity is twice the cost here.

i'm aware these could Spotlight, so I'd be looking for maybe lower wattage LEDs spaced closer together.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 120 degree optics do not spotlight more than halides do

Post Thanks / Like
    Caught Felix online. He said they can make the UFO LEDs in 50W and 100W with any combination of colors I choose. The issue is with the warm colors. They have voltage requirements that aren't supportable in a UFO. I'm also looking at ordering a custom 5-channel 100W kit with wireless 2.4g remotes.