Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ehren & Nightstar's 180 G

Post Thanks / Like

Ehren & Nightstar's 180 G Display Tank

We've had this one set up for a while. Got around to cleaning up and doing a little maintenance last weekend so figured we'd take some pictures and share what we've been working on.

Nov 2015:

June 2015: Monumental Crash

Feb 2015

Aug 2014

From a little over a year ago:

Since then we've removed the leathers, and condy and replaced it with acros, some bubble tips, blastos and acans.

Livestock includes
    Pink Tail Trigger (JJ), Foxface (Coral X), Yellow tang (Coral X), Breeding True Percs, GS + GF Maroon, Bicolor Blenny (Coral X), Green Spotted Puffer (brought up from brakish), SF eel, Chromis, 6 Line, and Tiger Goby.

Misc inverts: Croacha, Squamosa clams, 2 Bubble Tips: 12" baja pink, and 8" acid orange; Sea apple (Coral X), cleaner shrimp, a couple sea slugs and cucumbers and two giant banded serpant stars.

Corals: Acros, Large Brain, montipora, kryptonite trumpets, 2 large blasto colonies, several acans, Zoas, hammer and frogspawn, and Moon brain,

Issues:
    The tank is also holding a few colonies that survived when another tank cracked a while back so there is some crowding right now. Several acan colonies got a little warm a while back and are recovering, we lost two small colonies. Also we have quite a few aptasia and waving hands we're beating back one section at a time (left section was cleared off last weekend).

Under the hood:Life Reef skimmer, dual pumps (about 1200 GPH total), bio reactor, DIY Algae scrubber, and calc reactor that will be set up soon.

Large remote refuge:

Anyways, it's a work in progress, there are some areas to clean up, a couple more fish I want to add and some more corals to track down.

Percs and Foxface:

Bicolor and acros:

Some more Acros:

Sea Apple:

Blastos:
    Last edited by Ehren; 12-01-2015 at 11:26 PM.

2. Likes Rich liked this post
    Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Your tank makes me want to go buy some corals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    What a gorgeous setup... I love all the colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking tank.

Just_Tim
    I have to add that it's even more impressive in person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Tim View Post
    I have to add that it's even more impressive in person.

I agree, when I saw this tank I couldn't take my eyes off haha. Its packed with all kinds of awesome, the nems are sweet!
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple more pics

The big pink nem was out, tried to get a picture. Still doesn't do it justice. It's about 12" diameter, the maroon is a full 4"

couple frags:

Post Thanks / Like
    Last time I tried to pair her it resulted in two months of cage matches. Picked up a goldflake maroon a few weeks back and added him after qt. He's still really small, hasn't transformed from white to gold stripes yet. (sorry for the junk pictures, waited till the lights were low).

Held him in a fish trap for an hour.

Let him free, she came out nosed him around then pushed him over to the nem. Before the lights went out they were sharing the nem while she chased everyone away.
    Last edited by Ehren; 08-14-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Better shot of the goldflake and the gs maroon.

Post Thanks / Like
    “Surviving the Aptasalypse - or - Filefish are Awesome”

Haven’t updated in a while, did some work over the weekend and figured it was time for an update. First, a while back we had a couple aptasia, nothing was working. We tried boiling water and a syringe, kalk water in a syringe, pull and scrub some rocks, we even tried berghia nudibranch. None of that worked, some would make a small dent only to have a larger bloom. The Peppermints we had weren’t working or were eaten by the Trigger or Eel or both or just died. I didn’t want to pull everything out boil or acid wash rocks and start over but we got close. It would mean re-cycling the rock and tank and only last until the next Aptasia shows up again so looked for a more biological solution. Finally we got three Matted File Fish and after full four week quarantine and set them free. We'll continue to remove the waving hands on the right and find space for more corals.

Here are some before and afters.

Before

They have made a significant dent and I think in the next couple months we might have them gone.

After

Right Side -

Left Side -

Full Shot -

Full Shot Blues -

And finally some more of the corals. We’ve moved the clam and some other colonies into our other tanks and want to make this tank more acro/SPS.

My current favorite - A. abratanoides:

Small Colony Bonsi looking unknown acro

Left to right: Green Pocilopora, Orange Monti growing next to Rainbow/Ultra Monti (larger Colony in the 80), Green Stuber Stag
    Last edited by Ehren; 02-27-2015 at 01:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. I like your favorite one too!

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up a file fish from Levi and wow, that thing is awesome! I just let him graze. He also eats small pieces of meat in the water column. He will clean a rock full of aptasia in a day! Display has no aptasia visible. I drop my frag tank rocks in there and let him feed, till clean then back in the frag tank.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    I really wish matted filefish were more commonly known about for aptasia control. We tried everything to kill aptasia before getting the filefish and nothing worked. When we did hear about them and started asking around I didn't find anyone who had heard about them for that purpose. They are awesome little fish!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NightStar View Post
    I really wish matted filefish were more commonly known about for aptasia control. We tried everything to kill aptasia before getting the filefish and nothing worked. When we did hear about them and started asking around I didn't find anyone who had heard about them for that purpose. They are awesome little fish!
    make sure they are fed or have aiptasia, my new ones just started pecking at my acans.

Post Thanks / Like
    make sure they are fed or have aiptasia, my new ones just started pecking at my acans.

Post Thanks / Like
    That sucks about your acans. I had read warnings about them liking fleshy corals so we first made sure we only got matted filefish and during quarantine we made sure they actually ate aptasia. So far just awesome little dudes. If they do eventually run out of aptasia I'm willing to move the corals they like to a different tank, as the other tanks can and do house peppermints. One of the advantages to having multiple tanks. I have heard filefish can develop a taste for waving hands. I would kiss the fish if they did that! That stuff is the bane of my tank. If anyone has a fish that eats xenia, please let me know!!

Post Thanks / Like
    That sucks about your acans. I had read warnings about them liking fleshy corals so we first made sure we only got matted filefish and during quarantine we made sure they actually ate aptasia. So far just awesome little dudes. If they do eventually run out of aptasia I'm willing to move the corals they like to a different tank, as the other tanks can and do house peppermints. One of the advantages to having multiple tanks. I have heard filefish can develop a taste for waving hands. I would kiss the fish if they did that! That stuff is the bane of my tank. If anyone has a fish that eats xenia, please let me know!!
    Yeah mine ate all the tentacles off my sunburst nem before I caught them so it died. They also ate everything off another nem. Just make sure they are fed or have aiptasia to eat. Mine eat nori as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the latest picture. In case you're wondering why it's so hard to see, well it's dead, crashed, ca-put.

Here's the culprit. Ended up tripping the circut breaker and the entire tank went down.

We were on vacation when it happened had Tim swing by every couple of days. The tanks have been left alone for a week at a time before but this time we were gone for longer so had Tim helping. Huge thanks to Tim. We had him watching the tanks unfortunately this happened so fast he couldn't do much. He managed to pull out the remaining corals and throw them into our other tanks, the ones he pulled out managed to make it.
    There are no more fish so took care of that pesky eel and no more waving hands problem. Those and 95% of the corals are gone. Essentially just the red sponge, some gorgonias, zoas and duncans survived. Again, problem could have been way worse if Tim hadn't of been able to step in and help.

We are going to finish cleaning it out this weekend and let it start recycling then see where it leaves us. Probably won't bring it back to it's full strength for a while.