Thread: Questions

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like

Questions

I took my kids to petco and they all fell in love with fresh water fish. I'm not sure why. My question is can I change my 40 breeder to a fw tank and if so do I need to clean it thoroughly? It's been along time since I was in the fw hobby. Is a 40 a good size? Help? Advice? Tips?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Spray it out with a hose, get a hang on the back filter rated for a 75g tank and good to go. Pick out gravel and get a gravel cleaning python to clean the gravel once a month with water change.

Sent from your LG G2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't it need to be seeded too?

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Fresh water isn't quite as delicate in my experience... But I was also breeding cichlids and they're kinda a dirty and not picky about water quality fish. Might have to for other fish like angels and stuff?
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    You missed a heck of a meeting Sunday that went over some of the details about freshwater planted tanks. Our youngest boy had a 20gal tall freshwater tank with a cichlid and a monster of a pleco that we gave to Greaseball when we decided to take it down. They really didn't care about the water quality at all as he rarely took care of the tank. However, other types of fish won't do as well so either select the fish carefully or make sure to keep up on water changes and gravel cleaning.
    A few of us will be venturing into freshwater planted tanks and I hope to achieve a similar balance to low maintenance work as I have with my 120 reef.

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the advice. I wish I could have made the meeting. I didn't think they were intersted in the fish thing anymore. I guess we will be working on a fw tank now.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a large used hob filter with bio wheels if you go that way. Not pretty, but it would get you going. I also have one in the box somewhere if you wanted to buy a brand new one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those marineland biowheel hobs ate great filters for fw setups. Used to swear by those. I would recommend always over filtering fw as well. Some fish are downright dirty

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    40 would be ok for some of the smaller cichlids. Africans can get pretty large. Krebinsis are great Central Americans and prolific breeders.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah its a pretty good sized tank. You could aqua scale with driftwood rocks and plants and it would look pretty sweet. Cichlids will destroy about any live plant you uses. There's a few that can withstand them though like amazon sword. Though they breed like crazy I would stay away from types like convicts, super aggressive fish. Jewels are very pretty but should also be in a species specific setup. Cichlids are great though man. If you're looking for other easy to breed fish and easy care check out mollys and tetras. Both very hardy fish and come in a variety of colors. They are live bearers and its pretty cool to watch them pop haha. Sometimes upwards of 100 fry per clutch. We keep molly fish in our brackish and there are a few females that have a clutch every few weeks, free fish food lol. Always remember to keep a higher female to male ratio though. The boys can be a little rough on the ladies

Just_Tim
    Freshwater needs to cycle just like salt. It doesn't take nearly as long though. You can use a dead shrimp also to cycle FW. 40 is a good size for a couple Angels or a load of small tetra. It's to small for Africans or large South Americans though.

Sent from Fishy Valhalla

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    So I've "inherited" this tank due to lack of them taking care of it. Thinking maybe cichlids? Anyone have advice? Also, need to get rid of a goldfish, gouramis and some swordtail fish

Just_Tim
    Is this still the 40g?

I am America and So can You

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Tim View Post
    Is this still the 40g?

I am America and So can You
    Yes it is Tim