Thread: UV sterlizier thoughts/ideas

Post Thanks / Like

UV sterlizier thoughts/ideas

So after reading... and reading... and reading this:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-1...ture/index.php

as well as reading all of the source material I have decided that I think I want to run UV full time on all of my tanks.

A few thoughts to consider about UV:

I need to run nearly all of my water through it to be effective. I need to run the water slow enough or have a large enough unit that it has time to be effective. I read a post about needing at least 180,000 something or other to be effective.

Basically I am thinking about using a http://www.ebay.com/itm/UV-36W-36-wa...item43c8e43191 36w unit on each of my overflows so that 100% of water flows through it before it gets to my sump. For the QT 75g I will be using 2x canister filters with built in 9w UV bulbs and adding 1x of these 36w units to each of the suction lines coming from the tank to the canister filter. This will mean that 100% of the water flowing through the filter at 400gph each will be flowing through the UV sterilizers. This may be overkill but I would rather this than to deal with an ich outbreak.

I am also going to employ the dipping method with formulin and copper dips.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't UV kill the good stuff too though?
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Post Thanks / Like
    no the good stuff is too big to be effected by a 36w unit. the good stuff would need like a 200w unit or something rediculous from what I was reading.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran one on my qt

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Levi, I have one in my garage if you are interested. I'm not sure the wattage though, but it is a large one.

Just_Tim
    And the good bacteria mostly populates surfaces with very little movement in the column.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Tim View Post
    And the good bacteria mostly populates surfaces with very little movement in the column.
    Good point

Sent from your LG G2 using Tapatalk

Just_Tim
    But it's always been my understanding that you shouldn't use a UV while cycling. I'm not really sure why, maybe it's an old timer thing.

Sent from Fishy Valhalla

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I can turn the UV off on all units during cycle

Kristin
    I'm new to this group, but it was my understanding that the UV filter will help eliminate green algae water also. Is this correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes its why people with ponds use them

Post Thanks / Like
    + Bump Just-Tim, most of your good bacteria is on the surface of your media, Live rock, sand, Bio etc…

I run a UV unit on my quarantine system to deal with any random bacterial problems. The big thing to keep in mind on UV units is to keep your flow regulated to the power of the bulb you are using otherwise you are just wasting your time.

I found this chart to be useful for determining size of bulb to use on the tank you are working with. A Larger bulb will not hurt just make it easier to adjust flow rate.

Tank / Gallon Watt / UV-C Flow rate gal/h 90% Germination Flow rate gal/h 99% Germination

approx. 66 gal approx. 5W approx. 52 gph approx. 37 gph

approx. 92 gal approx. 10 W approx. 79 gph approx. 48 gph

approx.132 gal approx. 15 W approx. 105 gph approx. 66 gph

approx.198 gal approx. 18 W approx. 158 gph approx. 99 gph

approx.264 gal approx. 30 W approx. 211 gph approx. 119 gph

http://reefdreams.de/lang_eng/info_5_eng.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I think UV's are more good than bad. In the good, they can kill ich and algae spores but in the bad, they can kill pods. I think it's a good trade off. As you know there are usually so many pods in a tank that it won't kill all of them, just a percentage. I believe that can be true for the ich and algae spores also. It just keeps them in check. Ultimately the chances of a fish dying relies on it's overall health which of course can be affected by the amount of parasites stuck to it stressing it out. Also are factors of tank environment, methods which it was caught, diet if eating at all, etc. And we all know different fish are more susceptable than others. I think the reason why most people don't have a UV sterlizer is just because all the other factors are met fine and the fish's overall health is good enough to not get sick. It seems the longer the tank has been setup uninterrupted, the more the need for a sterlizer goes away. But I don't think it hurts anything having them on a system. Especially when there is constant changes to it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JLAURENCE32 View Post
    Yeah, I think UV's are more good than bad. In the good, they can kill ich and algae spores but in the bad, they can kill pods. I think it's a good trade off. As you know there are usually so many pods in a tank that it won't kill all of them, just a percentage. I believe that can be true for the ich and algae spores also. It just keeps them in check. Ultimately the chances of a fish dying relies on it's overall health which of course can be affected by the amount of parasites stuck to it stressing it out. Also are factors of tank environment, methods which it was caught, diet if eating at all, etc. And we all know different fish are more susceptable than others. I think the reason why most people don't have a UV sterlizer is just because all the other factors are met fine and the fish's overall health is good enough to not get sick. It seems the longer the tank has been setup uninterrupted, the more the need for a sterlizer goes away. But I don't think it hurts anything having them on a system. Especially when there is constant changes to it...
    +1 also we had this discussion on MASC and basically the thought was that with flow going through it at the rate it is, pods would not stay in long enough to actually kill very many as they are large enough to withstand it for the most part. Only the smallest babies may be hurt.