Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help suggestions let me pick your brain

Post Thanks / Like

help suggestions let me pick your brain

ok so i need help brain storming what could be going on in my tank after my cycle finish i moved everything over to my 180 most everything died i blamed that on having to move everything over to fast so just incase i put carbon in there chemi-pure and started dosing restore i was able to save about 4 or 5 different types of zoas my acans, chalice and sun coral they started to open up and color up so i figured i will try a few cheap SPS the first day or two they seemed to be doing great then they STN'ed i checked all my parameters and everything is fine temp is 79 phos is around .04 no ammonia no nitrites the only thing i could think of is i only have one WP-40 in the tank but my sps were on the side with the WP-40 would flow still be a issue with only one wp-40 in there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think perhaps you could attribute your issues to bad salt? Are you using the same supply you had been previously or did you open a new container for the new settup?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by charleshardy5 View Post
    Do you think perhaps you could attribute your issues to bad salt? Are you using the same supply you had been previously or did you open a new container for the new settup?

i opened a new container for the new setup it was a entire bucket of red sea coral pro

Post Thanks / Like
    The salt sounds like the most likely culprit. Recommend we ater changes each day if it's not too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    The salt sounds like the most likely culprit. Recommend we ater changes each day if it's not too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have done water changes i did 15 gallon water changes for a week a few weeks ago that is when my lps started doing better but i also did the chemi-pure carbon and dosing restore at that time as well

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    how high up were they in relation to the lights vs the tank you got them from? SPS like a more mature tank. Did you acclimate them? What were the parameters of the tank the came from vs your tank?
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    how high up were they in relation to the lights vs the tank you got them from? SPS like a more mature tank. Did you acclimate them? What were the parameters of the tank the came from vs your tank?
    i made sure temp alk calc and everything were a match and i set them low in the tank the par was only around 150 were they were at but i got new frags and i acclimated them and dipped them and after a few days these STN'ed so i know it wasnt light or my parameters but i have no idea cause i put the chemi pure in there and it is supposed to absorb any thing that gets into the tank the weird thing is a i have one small littel sps that was attached to one of the frags i got that is doing good polyps out and everything

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    I agree that sps prefer a more matured system. I feel like I got lucky with the birds nest but the pink pollicipora I got from Doyle is weird, it grows great for a few weeks and then out of nowhere it starts dying till its almost gone and now its starting to grow back. The miami orchid i picked up a while ago isnt dead at all but i have seen very minimal growth in the 3 months ive had it, just barely starting to encrust on the rock i glued it to. I dont think I was quite ready to start adding sps to my system.

Post Thanks / Like
    so could it just be that the tank is to young? with my 40 breeder i had rock and sand curing in a bin for two months before i put it in the tank and then waited about a month before i put any corals in

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Murf about the lights. Those Radions are no joke. What intensity are you running them at. Mine peak at about 65% mid - cycle and sometimes I think that is too much.
    C'mon Man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRuby View Post
    I agree with Murf about the lights. Those Radions are no joke. What intensity are you running them at. Mine peak at about 65% mid - cycle and sometimes I think that is too much.
    mine peak at about 55% i am curretnyl using the PAR meter on the sand bed i get about 70-80 par so the light isnt to intense

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind par meters and readings mean nothing when you have red leds in the mix as they throw the meter off. I would vote for salt AND maturity. You had 40g of water and the rock in it and upgraded to a 180. Big difference between the two. Yes rock sitting in tubs is OK but its not the same as a continually fluctuating bioload like with fish in a tank. I bet if you give it 3-6m you will be fine adding sps. Chemipure is great at pulling out phosphates and chemicals.

Sent from your LG G2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I agree man. Its unfortunate that you kinda had to rush the initial settup but that's done and over. I too learned that lesson the hard way at the very beginning with ich. Cool thing is now there's no rush at all and you can take your sweet time and make that big tank perfect. I can't wait to upgrade one of these days and I know it'll be hard to wait once I get there but I refuse to go through a catastrophe. Hang in there man and you'll have a great looking tank before you know it

Post Thanks / Like
    How often were you testing calc, mag, and alk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    How often were you testing calc, mag, and alk?
    daily and once in a while i would forget and every other day test

Post Thanks / Like
    That shouldn't be the issue then. What's your salinity been at?
    Last edited by coach; 05-03-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    That shouldn't be the issue then. What's your salinity been at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Little on the low side for coral. .024-.026

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    Coral Xpressions
    coralxpressions@hotmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...45044298939508

When all else fails, kick it, smack it then throw it out the wndow and start over

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bush8984 View Post
    Little on the low side for coral. .024-.026

yeah but i wouldnt think it being .01 low would kill it all

Post Thanks / Like
    Might if your salinity was a lot higher in the last tank. When did you last calibrate your salinity measuring device

Coral Xpressions
    coralxpressions@hotmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...45044298939508

When all else fails, kick it, smack it then throw it out the wndow and start over