Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Static's Colorado ocean

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like

Static's Colorado ocean

Well. We decided to downgrade the system and upgrade our lives at the same time lol. The 150, 200 gallon frag flat, and the 317 are going to find a new home. All of the filtratoon will be changed and 1 glass tank wil be added.

The goal is to significantly reduce the time maintaining the tanks and increase the time enjoying the hobby again In order to do this I decided to get rid of all of the Acrylic tanks. I will miss the clearity but not the maintenance.

The electricity and water bill have skyrocketed over the past few years and I would rather put that into livestock. I am a firm believer in water volume to help control water quality so i will try and maintain that (i just need to plan it all out in a smarter fashion). In order to do this the main return pump will be used to run most of the reactors, downsizing of tanks (heaters, lights, pumps etc), and upgrading rodi filtration.

The other thought is forcing myself to be more picky. I have one time to many bought livestock/corals because it was a good deal or I liked them at the moment. Stupid clarki clowns and carpet anenomes to name a few. There will be no sandsifting fish whatsoever in my new set-up. Corals will only be chosen on the "I need that", and not the "I want that".

I have thought alot about this and dont have much time to do it before I leave again. Here we go.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by static reef; 12-06-2014 at 11:27 PM.

2. Likes jrod34a liked this post
    Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like

The filtration area after about an hour of slowly starting the dismantling process. Wires are everywhere and not really in ideal places. The previous skimmer (not shown) had worked great but I wanted a prettier one that works specifically for the future system. The heaters where all under the rock in the sump and I couldnt see the lights turn on. The main return pump was a pain to get to. The reactors (not shown) where behind the macro tank and I got tire of having to do 4 2LF reactors just to change carbon.

150 gallon is now empty and waiting for a new home. Acrylic is great but not for a wife with a toddler and 50 hours of gymnastics a week to support while I am working abroad.

317 triangle is now empty. I was lucky and was able to place all o my fish and corals in my frag flat during the remodel.

Frag flat will find a new home and I will set up a smaller one in the future.

Decided to pull the trigger and get the carpet a new home. This will be the only tank seperate from the new system. It will not house many hard corals and will be regulated only by water changes.

The macro tank (empty) was very well designed and built but hard to get to while resting over the stock tank.

The chaeto tank was turned into a small fish holding tank during the breakdown

Last edited by static reef; 08-05-2014 at 07:18 AM.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    All of the filtration is designed to be easy to get to, low wattage, and turnkey. The goal is to let the system run for a few months while im away and figure out any kinks. After the trip, I will hook up an apex controller and turn the whole thing fully automatic.

The new stand is built out of 13 2x4's and 3 sheets of plywood. It is 96Lx30Wx38T.

I didnt want a center beam in the way of my filtration area. I built a truss that I copied from my house. After a little research, I found that this technique should support up to 2,670 lbs.

Stand was wrapped in 1/2" presanded plywood.

I caulked the interior to help trap any leaks that may arise in the future. I used a paintable caulk that dries in less then 30 minutes. I left my self a 1/2 gap in the front of the stand in case I ever decide to add doors later.

Last edited by Murfman; 04-23-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like

I recieved a 125 gallon sump for free. It is very beefy and well built but, I didn't like where the baffles were and the bulkhead was on the wrong side. Out came the razor blades.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like

Levi came over and helped me build the sump back together. We will finish with the sides and attach the baffles tomorrow.

Got the outside of the large filtration stand painted with a very high gloss grey. The color should help hide salt creep and mask some of the spills I plan on having in the future.

I attached the 2x4 braces to the back of the stand for the "wall of organization".

I added 3 of 4 pegboards to the braces. The fourth board will be added once the stand moves into place. I have to cut a notch out to fit around the I beam that the main dt will sit on. The apex, misc tools, and the dosing pump will all mount to the peg board

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Didnt like the canopy for the new tank so I gutted it and gave it a face lift.
    Before

I ripped off the front panel due to bowing. Left a nice gap to give my self a no hardware handle. Cant see it from the front at all. Pretty proud of this idea

After

This is the new handle. No harware needed.

Need to make a trip to home depot for a few more small trim pieces and start the poly coating.
    Last edited by static reef; 04-24-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Didnt like the stand so I ripped it apart and started over

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Update of the construction site taken at 1 am this morn. Something for you to show your wives. "See honey at least our house doesnt look like this."

(Notice I took over her salon)

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Levi. Knocking out the new sump. Bigbig plans for this thing.

She gets her kitchen back tonight. She is pretty happy about that.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Amber painting the filtration stand interior. Gave her self a new hair color while in the process.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Canopy completed with 3 coats of poly last night. Brought in the stand to give the salon back to amber. Still have the empty tanks in the living room.

Last edited by static reef; 04-25-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Stand is painted, waterproof/caulked, and ready to be skinned. I'm not skinning until the tank is sitting on top of it.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like

Filtration stand is in place

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    With the help of kmellon, bruby, beth ruby, bush, and levi we got the new tank loaded and made our way to my house.

Thanks to greaseball I had a trailer to make this happen.

-The rubies bringing the eurobrace to the tank, in his "big mini"

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like

Kmellon and levi getting ready to cut a few more holes for the closed loop

Last edited by Murfman; 04-28-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    bush and levi drilling 3 more holes for the closed loop while I sit on my butt for 10 minutes and have a big (im tired boo boo lip). 2 low profile 1.5" drain lines and a total of 4 3/4" returns controlled by a dart pump and a squirt. The 2 more return lines were cut on the far sides and low so that there is no dead space on the outsides of the over flow box. The squirt will shoot in one low and one high return lines at the same time and then rotate to the opposite.

Last edited by Murfman; 04-28-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like

2nd stand for the anenome tank that should be here tomorrow.

Sump was brought down stairs. She finally gets her kitchen back.

New light was hung. I got this from larry a few days back. The fixture needed a good rubdown and BAM, I have a new shop light. I hooked it up so that the light is turned on by a switch.
    I also gave myself a massive surge protector on the pegboard. This should allow me to utilize the bench as a workspace for pumps, lights, etc... The sp is ran linear, and hopefully far enough away to avoid salt creep and water.

The design is finally coming to life.

I cleaned up a little and started organizing the small things. Amazing all of the crap I have collected in the 3.5 years I have lived in CS.

Last night I hooked up the rodi and started making some water. Finally figured that my rodi is a 100gpd system. Lol. Only took me 3 years to take the time and figure it out. I still need to hook up the sw mixing/distributing pump. Dc6000 should safice.

Couple of the small things hung and waiting.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like

Had to take sunday afternoon off from the build due to a young stud having a birthday pirate party

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Monday and back at it again. Levi called into work just to help me get caught back up. Thanks again brother.

Levis handy work. I want to drip the system. There was a small hole that was used for an ato. Because the ato will be in the live rock sump we decided to use black silicone and trap 3 spare rodi lines. 3 different colors for alk, mag, and calc.

I ran the 3 lines through the peg board and they will return to the front directly underneath the doser. More to come later on the mounting and utilization of the doser.

Last edited by static reef; 08-05-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like

Levi scraped the excess silicone away from the baffles. Looks brand new and vey clean. I painted the back and cut a few pieces of egg crate for the "sump". I emplaced the new bio pellet reactor and one of the new octopus skimmers in their respective positions and got the lines ready to go.