Thread: Need some advice on fragging

Post Thanks / Like

Need some advice on fragging

So I have a rock just covered in nuclear green pallys. Im interested in fragging a few off the Rockford to offer as dbtc. Here's the kicker. I have a rbta that's attached to the rock and has been for months and he's very happy and hosting two clowns. I want to attempt fragging in my tank but I'm not sure how to go about it. Been reading lots of horror stories about pallytoxins and quite frankly I would like to avoid exposing my skin to this stuff lol. Also id like to avoid making the nem uncomfortable and forcing him ti move, theres no way i can scrape him off the rock without damaging him as he's firmly planted in a small crevice. Should I just get some long gloves and give it a go in tank? Would the toxins they release potentially mess my system up?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Post Thanks / Like
    Removing pallys can be really easy if they have established a strong matting. I have found they often are interconnected with runners. If you can get a section loose by scraping just under it with a knife or razor, you can grab the runner with tweezers and gently remove a bunch of the polyps at once by basically peeling them all connected off one by one, or in clumps. If the rock is soft, you can scrape just below the polyp and get a section of the rock to come with it. Best case you scrape under one and get some of the rock with it, grab a thick section near the base of the polyp, but not the polyp itself, then peel back connected ones. There will be no toxin release if it goes this way. They won't release if you pinch or even cut the runners between them. If you squish the polyp, they will squirt the toxin. Wear long gloves and eye protection in case of squirts.

Pallys tend to include little bits of the substrate in their base where zoas don't. This seems to make the plays more sturdy, or they are just more sturdy in the first place, but either way, they are easy to remove than zoas in my opinion.

Depending on the size of your system some toxins here and there shouldn't hurt anything. If you have fresh carbon to run right after you finish, it would be some cheap insurance. If you get a large enough container to move the whole rock out of the tank and into it for fragging, the nem probably wouldn't get too disturbed and any toxins would remain in the container.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool. Thank you. My only concern with pulling the rock and nem out together is how it would effect the whole hosting process with the clowns as I'd prefer not to mess that up cause its probably the favorite thing about my tank. I think tonight I may try peeling some off the rock as you suggested theres a few spots I can get to pretty easy to attempt to scrape away the mat. I have a homemade carbon reactor I can hook up for on the off chance I piss the little buffers off... thanks for the advice

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Take the rock out, hammer and chisel the palys and then put the rock back in the same position.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    Take the rock out, hammer and chisel the palys and then put the rock back in the same position.
    +1

I have done this many times and never had a problem

If your concerned with toxins have a container of saltwater to rinse the rock with before you put it back in your tank

Wear gloves and eye protection too if your concerned