Thread: Nassarius or Babylonia or something worse?

Post Thanks / Like

Nassarius or Babylonia or something worse?

Sorry for the ignorance here. And the large novel of a post.

I have what I was told by the LFS I bought it from, a large nassarius snail that was safe. I rarely see it out and about. I also have another that is totally white that's about half the size of the one in question. Any way I was doing research into why I can't keep snails I live in my tank. With all my water perams good I was looking for a predator of some kind.

My research lead me to discover I had a welk that I caught in the act of eating one of my other snails by boring into its shell and it has been removed. But I don't think this one average sized snail could have repeatedly decimated my snail population in a couple of weeks.

I also came across articles concerning Babylonian snails and there predatory nature to other snails. The pictures in these articles looked a lot like my snail in question. So I would like everyone's opinion on this topic

Here are some pics of the snail in question is it a Babylonian snail? are they bad as the articles say they are? Could it be the culprit? Thank you all in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that is a bab

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    So is it "bad"? Could it be what is wiping out my other snails?

Post Thanks / Like
    mixed info, I had 2 babs and never confirmed it if they were killing fish at night or if fish died and they were just doing their job as a cleanup crew but it seemed during the day the fish were all fine and at night I would just randomly lose a fish.

I will not put them into my tank again until I can get the frag tank running and test the waters with some cheap fish that I do not mind losing and are hardy. They are awesome looking though.

Post Thanks / Like
    To watch a Video of my Tank PRESS HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice chad thank you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I did read that article on reef cleaners that what got me concerned in the first place
    But I had found others that said they weren't that bad and there is a snail that looks like a Babylonian but is not

So it's possible it is responsible for eating all my snails

I guess I should try to find it a home before I try adding more snails. There to expensive to be used as food and the bab is to cool to just kill

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and I personally haven't lost any fish just snails and I've had the bab and fish since I started the tank

Post Thanks / Like
    The other thing it might be is that serpent star I see in your pic. I have one that live in my sump because I'm 99% certain its responsible for snail and small fish deaths. Heck I put a nasty coral banded shrimp in the same section as the serpent and even that disappeared.
    To watch a Video of my Tank PRESS HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I have never caught it eating any thing but food it grabs when I feed the fish which is a fair amount. I haven't lost any fish or inverts other then snails for example I added 30 about 3 weeks ago and there's only about two left. I will keep a closer eye on it though thanks for the heads up it is one of my favorite critters

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm starting to believe I have been getting some misinformation from the LFS I have been using.

Post Thanks / Like
    LFS employees tend to have very limited training. Unless of course the employee you speak to is a collector him/herself and has gained knowledge by participating in the hobby. This is a problem caused by "bottom line" mentality of retail itself and not the employees fault in most if not all cases. If a little time and money were invested in their employees education things like this wouldn't happen.

"...the sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever..."

-Jacques Cousteau
    ......I am fluent in English, jibberish, smartass, drunken, auto spell, doofus, sarcastic, auto correct and dumb. It's know it all I have trouble with....

Post Thanks / Like
    The only LFS that I know carries them is seascape and if you were told what I was it was this" these are just larger more vibrant colored nass snails. Your nass snails are peaceful right?"

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    The only LFS that I know carries them is seascape and if you were told what I was it was this" these are just larger more vibrant colored nass snails. Your nass snails are peaceful right?"

That's no uneducated LFS employee. Sage has more in her head than this forum combined I bet.

"...the sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever..."

-Jacques Cousteau
    ......I am fluent in English, jibberish, smartass, drunken, auto spell, doofus, sarcastic, auto correct and dumb. It's know it all I have trouble with....

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd rather not get into which LFS it was I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and they have been good for me in other things
    but yes I was told it was just a colorful large nassarius and peacefull. I was brand new to the hobby it was one of my first purchases and now it seems the more I learn the more I find I don't know. That real hard part is I find so much conflicting information in this hobby it's hard to find out what is right.

As for the brittle star as a possible culprit along with the Babylonian. the brittles main body is half the size of the snails I'm losing could it still be it? I found pics of how a brittle will "swallow" a snail whole and the spit out and empty shell is this the only what they could do it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greaseballpaul View Post
    That's no uneducated LFS employee. Sage has more in her head than this forum combined I bet.

-Jacques Cousteau
    Don't get me wrong Sage is very knowledgeable but the point I was trying to make is to always do your own research and make up your own mind. I know plenty of people that have angels that don't nip at polyps and others with the same Angel that do.