Thread: The benefits of Hyposalinity

Post Thanks / Like

The benefits of Hyposalinity

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/6/fish

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/ich.html

It explains how fish process salt water and how hypo helps conserve their energy. It talks also about brook, ich, etc and how each is treated and how hypo either treats or helps treat.

Many articles suggest 1.009 for hypo and this one suggests 1.012 - 1.014. From what I have read 12-14 will still kill ich but many people like to go lower to "ensure" that it is dead.

Once all of my corals are moved to the frag tank, I will play with lower salinity levels and see what survives at what levels (pods, snails, crabs etc.) Ultimately I would love to find a great balance of salinity.

I currently have a powder blue, white cheek, blue eye bristletooth, scopas, starry blenny, and diamond goby in hypo and they are doing well. It is amazing that I have seen now in Greaseballpauls hypo QT and in mine that a fish that appears to not have ich or carry it, almost instantly sprouts the spots and within 1-3 days they are gone. Chris (Greaseballpaul) has been running his fish in hypo and added a new powder brown to the system, it popped ich but nothing else in the tank got it. When I say popped it, it looked like a white pokadotted powder brown and about 3 days later it is clean and loving life. With all the health benefits of hypo I see no reason to do any other QT for newly purchased fish. Obviously different issues warrant other types of treatments, but most antibiotics actually are more effective in hypo as well so again see no reason not to run hypo in my QT full time. I dropped the salinity from 1.024 to 1.017 in one water change, waited 12 hours and dropped it from 1.017 to 1.010 with another water change. Obviously during the water change I took water out and added fresh RO water slowly keeping all of my pumps on to "mix" it as best as possible and have probably tested via refractometer about 90 times lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    What are you using to buffer ph? Or how are you controlling ph?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, are you dosing anything in the hypo qt? Antibiotics, vitamins, medications, etc?

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    I put 4 fish through hypo due to a new fish bringing in ick. When I did hypo on my fish. My pH maintained itself at 8.0. I did do a water change once a week at 10%. I did dose alk and ca the first week, just because I was concerned about the pH. Once I realised it was ok then I stopped.
    As for medications, Garlic laced food is all.
    Over 3 days, took my salinity to 1.008 and maintained for 6 weeks, I then took 5 days to bring it back up to 1.025. I kept the fish in there for an additional 5 weeks for observation. During the 11 weeks I was able to give the fish special attention and feed several times a day. Now the fish are very personal and still eat like crazy. I've seen no trace of ick since.
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Post Thanks / Like
    Garlic is all but from reading all medications do better in hypo

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Also I was doing the same dosing alk but stopped and only do it during water changes 10% weekly

Post Thanks / Like
    Today will be my first water change though lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I just brought the salinity of my qt back up to normal .024 after running hypo at .010 for 5 weeks, no trace of ich anymore. No dosing at all 10% water change every 5 days and garlic laced omega one flake food. Bout 1 week left before I reintroduce the fish to my dt as its been fallow for 6 weeks now

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep same plan here