Thread: Sun coral?

Post Thanks / Like

Sun coral?

Anyone have an experience with these?
    Confidence - That feeling you have beforeyou fully understand the situation.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    you have to feed them:

overview
    Daisy-bright beauty, gently swaying polyps, unique feeding habits and low light requirements make the Tubastrea Yellow Tube Coral a perfect LPS coral for the deepest zones of your reef aquarium.

Also known as the Sun Polyp Coral, or Yellow Cup Coral, its genus name, Tubastraea, is derived from the Latin words tubus (tube) and astron (star), describing its skeletal structure which is tubular, with stars at the tip of each tube.

In the wild, the Tubastrea Yellow Tube Coral is often found on reef ledges or steep reef slopes. It is a colonial coral with a sunny yellow coloration when open. The center skeleton is round with the tubes branching off in all directions.

The Yellow Tube Coral can be quite fragile and must be handled with extra care. When placing in the aquarium, it must be picked up by its underside. It should have moderate to high water current combined with low lighting levels. It will also benefit from the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water. It is a hardy coral for the reef aquarium, but is classified as moderate because of the special care that it requires.

It is one of the few corals that does not contain a symbiotic algae, so it must be fed vitamin-enriched brine shrimp or micro-plankton from an eye dropper directly to each one of its polyps. It will usually only expand its polyps in the evening or when it is hungry.
    Last edited by Murfman; 01-27-2014 at 05:26 PM.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I saw this on LiveAquaria as well... I was looking for some empirical input from folks locally. Other than having to feed them, are they generally easy to take care of?

Post Thanks / Like
    I never feed mine and they dont grow, but mine have not died....even through a couple tank crashes. I would recommend feeding them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a 30 head colony here at the Casa if you want to try your hand at a head or two

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    Coral Xpressions
    coralxpressions@hotmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...45044298939508

When all else fails, kick it, smack it then throw it out the wndow and start over

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. At some point in the future, I will probably try it. But for right now, $ for CUC is top of the list.

Good to know you have some locally though.