Thread: 40G Breeder Project Refuge

Post Thanks / Like

40G Breeder Project Refuge

Okay, so I made my Refugium and it's not as traditional as others that I have seen, but the Refuge was designed around the protein skimmer that's going in it. I've decided on getting the AquaMaxx EcoMaxx EM200 for it. I build a glass box around where it's going to go and split the box in half horizontally. Then added egg crate around it with some gutter protector that I cut to fit and make a type of shelf to hold my carbon, filter and bio balls. Also by doing it this way, uses less room of what could be the refuge but gives me most area to use for those things I'll be putting on the shelf's instead of creating baffles and using those. The lower glass before it opens up for the bottom shelf is 5" tall, allowing me to have up to at least a 4" deep sand bed. By opening it all the way around, allows for flow to come out in more directions that just one as well. Top shelf will sit just barely under the top water level at 13" and I have a 2" stand for the skimmer to sit on top of so that it sits where it should be in the water. The drain from the DT will drain into the corner behind the skimmer, where the inlet for the skimmer will be. I don't see why this wouldn't work as well if not better than traditional methods of building a refuge, but seeing how I haven't seen one made like this, I really wont know until it's running. But this just like the rest, is a project. And I'm hoping to be as unique as possible. Next will be the ATO using the JBJ ATO and a 20G Tall tank. Also, much thanks to xsocali for supplying me with the glass to do this. Huge help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got my 180 set up and this thing sitting in the bottom. I love it so far. Just need some macro to put down here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk