Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 80

Thread: 180G Project

  1. #21
    Registered User freedominco's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,195
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you say refugium you are meaning sump, a refugium or fuge is a tank or area in a sump that people put a deep sand bed, macro algae or miracle mud into, a place also that usually has slower flow so pods can flurish, a sump which may or may not have a fuge is a place you put skimmers, heaters, reactors, probes and return pump.

    Who are all these people who are telling you bio balls over live rock ?

  2. #22
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand the difference between the two however there is no real separation between the skimmer area (sump) and the refuge. Water can still travel back and forward between the two area's. But as far as the bio balls, I'd rather not put names out there because one is on the forum. I'll just talk to them one on one should I talk to them about it again and find out why they're partial to it and explain the reasoning behind others opinions as well.

  3. #23
    Registered User freedominco's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,195
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Project Tanked View Post
    I understand the difference between the two however there is no real separation between the skimmer area (sump) and the refuge. Water can still travel back and forward between the two area's. But as far as the bio balls, I'd rather not put names out there because one is on the forum. I'll just talk to them one on one should I talk to them about it again and find out why they're partial to it and explain the reasoning behind others opinions as well.
    except for there is and what you built is a sump, not saying it cant have a fuge in it but the correct term for what you have pictured is a sump

  4. #24
    Registered User Chadrw79's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    276
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is alternative to the bio balls you might try

    http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marine...2-spheres.html
    To watch a Video of my Tank PRESS HERE

  5. #25
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadrw79 View Post
    Here is alternative to the bio balls you might try

    http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marine...2-spheres.html
    Those look pretty nifty! Never seen those.

  6. #26
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freedominco View Post
    except for there is and what you built is a sump, not saying it cant have a fuge in it but the correct term for what you have pictured is a sump
    Technicalities. lol The primary purpose of my "sump" is to have the Refuge. But seeing how a sump can either have or not have a Refugium area, I assumed it would make a bit more sense to refer to the sump as a Refugium because that's what it's being made for.

  7. #27
    Site Administrator
    Murfman's Avatar
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Old Farm
    Posts
    13,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Project Tanked View Post
    Makes a good bit of sense to me. If that's the case, then why are some people very partial to bio balls? And besides crushed live rock and a few small bags of carbon, is there anything else I should add to those shelf's or in one of the baffles towards the end of the tank? I plan on using a form of filter for larger particles ontop of the first baffle at the end for whatever might escape the system and I'm sure that there's enough there that the micro bubbles will have been removed by then. I'd like to utilize everything I can on those shelf's to help keep the system stable and clean. I plan on using the live sand in my 40B currently just because it's been cycled and cultured and there's more copepods in that tank than I'm sure I need. And giving this is a refugium, could I benefit from putting some egg crate across the middle, about 4-5" below the water level to serve as a platform for frags?
    Large pore sponges are nitrate factories as well, so can filter bags, if not cleaned regularly. No right way of doing anything. If you clean the bio balls weekly, you should be OK. If you are like me, I am a lazy reefer and use no mechanical, all natural filtration. SIPORAX ceramic media is 100K more porous than live rock is, as far as bacteria hosting goes.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau


    Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.


    The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

  8. #28
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    Large pore sponges are nitrate factories as well, so can filter bags, if not cleaned regularly. No right way of doing anything. If you clean the bio balls weekly, you should be OK. If you are like me, I am a lazy reefer and use no mechanical, all natural filtration.
    I'm pretty lazy as well, but seeing how this is already such an expensive hobby, I'd like to use the effective yet cheap methods as well. Using what I did, I have 84 square inches of shelf that I can use for rocks basically. Plenty of room when you put it into perspective that way. Or I can go with those MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia 1 1/2” Spheres and I can use up to 26 of those on those two shelf's. I'm leaning towards those though now that I've done a decent read on them. And because they're round and would be side by side on egg crate, not much room for detritus to build or get trapped. I still have room in the baffles on the other side for whatever else as well.

  9. #29
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    So for my 180G I've decided to make my own live rock. I originally wanted to use like a flagstone in the tank but because I dont know what's in the rock or what might leach out, I didn't want to risk it. I also don't want my tank to look like all other tanks using actual live rock. So I've gone and made my own rock for my tank and kept the idea of using flagstone (long flat pieces of rock). I also see a lot of people trying to make their rock look like actual rock from the ocean's reef... and keeping the rock white by using the white cement mix. Using a 2/1/1 (Crushed Oyster Shell/Portlant Cement/Crushed Salt) mixture and incorporating the same method as Real Reef on how they make "Coralline" live rock, I made mine a very dark gray without going completely black. Here's some pictures.
    All the pieces I'll be using to build up my rock structure. Making caves, over hangs, platforms for corals at all depth levels and whatever else I can think of.

    This is a smaller version of the one below this. A smaller platform that doesn't sit too high but it's a good platform to build up from.

    This big piece is the bottom part of the whole thing. About 3 feet long, 18 inches wide. And sits off the ground about 4 inches. Allows for a nice hiding place under the whole thing plus a nice platform to build upwards with.


    I made the bottom rocks sit up from the sand because of everything I have read about dead spots and the gases released that can kill an entire tank. Basically doing that to keep the rocks off the sand completely.
    Just some rocks showing but in all that sand it about 30 pieces of rock weighing roughly 80 lbs total I think.


    The Salt and Oyster shell just to give an idea of what I'm working with.


    Sample piece I did just to test my mixture and color. Shows how porous it is.


    The rocks color when compared to white sand and Figi rock.

  10. #30
    Registered User

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    USAFA Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,284
    Post Thanks / Like
    Updates!!!!

  11. #31
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like


    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

  12. #32
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    What the rock looks like after 2 months of being in the tank. Only about 13 small pieces in the tank to make them "live" so that it'll when it comes time to set up the 180 and get the rest of the rock cycled

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

  13. #33
    Registered User Levi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lima, OH
    Posts
    7,968
    Post Thanks / Like
    How long did you cycle it in ro water?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

  14. #34
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    I let them soak in water for a while. Once I felt they were good, I put them in my hang on filter next to the carbon and let them stay in there for 2 weeks to monitor my tank. Nothing bad happened and nothing spiked so I put them in the tank. And they've been in there for 2 months now

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

  15. #35
    Registered User Levi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lima, OH
    Posts
    7,968
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow because I have had mine soaking for nearly 3 months now and they are still leaching salt

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

  16. #36
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    So as the end of the first day/night of assembly has reached itself, this is what I have done so far. Floor under the house has been reinforced. The plumbing has been completed minus installation of the bulk heads. (Can't find the freaking rubber gaskets I bought!) I got the Loc-Line heads from SeaScape today and installed them on their pipes. 40G Breeder is set up in the stand (sump) along with a 20G Tall (ATO tank). Got lucky with the leveling of the tank. I filled it completely to check for leaks and also to level it. Its perfect at all 4 corners. I also have all my DIY rock being cycled in the garage minus about 7 pieces that are in my other tank that are already live. Total I have about 130 lbs of rock for the tank.



    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

  17. #37
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking really good. Stupid gaskets! I'm having trouble finding some for my unions after I took them apart and painted some pieces. It's not like they are camouflaged.

  18. #38
    Registered User Levi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lima, OH
    Posts
    7,968
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep looks like your diy rock is still leaching out a ton of salt as well, I wouldn't put it in a tank yet.

    Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

  19. #39
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im not. These haven't been soaked yet. Its on day 3 and salinity tested at 27. This morning. Im going to do a water change today and see where im at in 2 days.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

  20. #40
    SCMAS President

    hooked's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Posts
    7,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good.
    Doyle

    "It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."



    90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.


    Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •